Author Topic: School Uses Wiis for P.E. Program  (Read 6675 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: School Uses Wiis for P.E. Program
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »
My knuckles get STUCK in real life.

Think about that. Think about a bowling ball that refuses to release from your ARM.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 09:56:11 AM »
I like bowling in real life, but I'm terrible at it.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE:School Uses Wiis for P.E. Program
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
My knuckles get STUCK in real life.

Think about that. Think about a bowling ball that refuses to release from your ARM.

That's why there are different size holes in different bowling balls.  It's pretty hard to find a good fit among all the bowling balls available at a bowling alley, I admit.  Personally, I usually have to use a 15 or 16 pounder, when I'd prefer an 11 pound one, because they're the only ones made for such Xbox sized hands as mine.  That much mass makes it hard to use spin, and it has a tendency to just smash through the pins without deflecting.  If I ever went bowling anymore, I'd probably buy my own bowling ball again (I've outgrown my old one).  It's not very expensive.

Regarding Wii Sports in P.E., I think physical education should really be more about teaching the importance of staying physically fit and how to do so.  Video games just seem like a distraction in that context unless there's somebody out there making physical edutainment software.  I don't think Wii Sports really counts.  Sure, you can exhaust yourself with it, but that's not the same thing as a responsible exercise regimen.

Heh, like I have any right to talk about exercise.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »
"My knuckles get STUCK in real life.  Think about that. Think about a bowling ball that refuses to release from your ARM."

My brother has the same concern so he REALLY sucks at ten-pin bowling.  I used to have that concern so I, get this, used bigger balls with bigger holes.  In fact I love using the heaviest ball I can find because the momentum of hucking the heavier object forces it to go straight.

Here in Canada though we have five-pin bowling that uses a smaller ball with no finger holes.  In fact that's pretty much what we mean when we say "bowling".  If we're playing at an American style alley we specify it as "ten-pin".  I don't know if five-pin bowling is found anywhere else but that's a good alternative for anyone scared of the holes.  That is one thing that is awesome about Canada.  We have our own culture but we also absorb most of American culture so we get BOTH.  Two types of bowling!  It's like being able to watch NFL and CFL.  Sometimes it's like being USA: Champion Edition.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 11:43:04 AM »
Sorta counter-intuitive isn't it? The bowling ball is threatening to tear your arm off, so use a heavier one! Your problem will be solved one way or another!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
Fear of a bowling ball? This is not rational.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »
LOL, education in P.E? It was all about the indoor soccer and a blood sport known as DODGE BALL. A most excellent way to vent aggression as long as you don't play the "Victim" game.

As for those non-sport people here. MAN UP.

BBBBLLLLOOOODDDD!!!!!!
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
This is a bad idea, supposedly playing Wii only requires an insignificant amount of additional energy over just sitting around, PE is about physical movement and a Wii won't provide enough of that.

Supposedly? You make it sound like you've never played a Wii.

Mario & Sonic is a MUCH better game than Wii Sports for fitness, the 10 second 100m sprint is more of a workout than an hour of Wii Sports. When I show the game to new people, some can't even FINISH some of the events like 4x100 relay and swimming relay, let alone keep playing over and over. It's insane exercise. That's basically what the game ends up being after a few hours, seeing who can last the longest making competitive times / scores. And it works different areas than what would be worked while doing pushups or whatever, makes you sweat a lot too which is even more healthy for you. What is up with America ignoring this game? (compared to Europe) Is it sold out everywhere or something? I heard undershipping rumors. (anyway that's for another thread)

I'll never understand kids who hate fitness, it's good for you both physically and mentally and makes you feel good, and its usually lots of fun if you're playing a sport or something. If some of you got off your chairs more often you;d stop bitching.

But Wii Sports has made me feel a lot more positive about certain things like Bowling and Golf that scare the crap out of me in real life.

WHAT? That's the weakest filth i've ever heard! SWING A CLUB. ROLL A BALL. Whats so hard?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 04:55:59 PM »

When I was in Canada, they actually graded you on P.E.
Tell me about it.. in Junior High we had these "30 Minute Runs" which was exactly that - everyone had to run (no walking!) for 30 minutes straight.

3 times a year.

Here in Canada though we have five-pin bowling that uses a smaller ball with no finger holes.
Wait a second, they don't have that in the US? Wow..

Also, all of you should play squash. Best sport ever.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 07:54:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Supposedly? You make it sound like you've never played a Wii.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to judge energy use from how I feel when playing. I do know that I sweat more from regular walking than playing Wii, my guess is the legs need a lot more energy than the arms.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 04:03:27 AM »
"Sorta counter-intuitive isn't it? The bowling ball is threatening to tear your arm off, so use a heavier one!"

The heavy balls have huge finger holes though so there's no risk in getting it caught on your hand.  But this advice doesn't convince my brother either so I guess I shouldn't expect it to convince anyone else.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 11:33:10 PM »

Originally posted by: KaironWii Sports has done wonders for my self-esteem in relation to certain sports. And this is from someone who took umpteen years of little league, a season of very enjoyable soccer, and swam in his school's varsity swim team. Oh, I'm not athletic by any means though, far from it. But Wii Sports has made me feel a lot more positive about certain things like Bowling and Golf that scare the crap out of me in real life.

WHAT THE? Is your mind backwards or soemthing? Are you afraid of projectiles going away from you or something? I men I can understand people who are afraid to play cricket or whatever, where I abll can hit you and hurt a lot (don't get me wrong, those people are still wusses)  but a ball LEAVING you? WHAT THE HELL?
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 05:52:20 AM »
I have no problem with projectiles. But 40 minutes spent chipping Chipping CHIPPING a golf ball EVERYWHERE but into the hula hoop it's supposed to land is enough to crush a man's ego. Forty minutes. A chip every friggin' 10 friggin' seconds. Crushed I tell you. Absolutely CRUSHED.

And as for bowling... well... have you ever swung the bowling ball and had your knuckles get stuck in it so that as the ball keeps going so does your arm? I'm fine with real-life bowling now, but the first couple times were nightmares...

It's like... learning to ride a bike on a broken bicycle and not knowing it. No matter how hard you work, everything inexplicably works, and when you're a kid, you end up thinking that something is wrong with you instead of the bike.