Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 1389 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Stocks
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:23:01 AM »
So, I just added $1700 to my IRA, and I've been thinking about stocks lately.

At the current moment, I own 88 shares of NTDOY.PK, which is the ADR for Nintendo, and I own 39 shares of GE, which I bought yesterday.

I bought the Nintendo shares last May, anticipating a strong surge right after seeing the Wii at E3, which were around 22.50/share.  At this current point, they're at 69.00, netting me about $4000, at least if I were to sell to day.  I have a stop sell in, or whatever it's called at $50, just in case something terrible happens in the hardware or software sector, so I'll still have doubled my initial investment there.

With the GE stock I bought yesterday, obviously not much has happened yet, but it was hilarious.  My stock broker was a little weary of my purchase of the NTDOY stock last May, but yesterday, he called it a freak pick, and not to expect the same from GE.  I just thought it was nice to hear a professional call my investment a freak, it made me proud.

Anyways, I'm investing in GE for several reasons:  The first is the dividend.  It's pretty cool that I'll be earning  a little over a quarter every quarter for each share I own.  Basically, I won't have to do any work for it.  Of course, since this is an IRA, that money will probably go in until retirement, and GE is a very stable company that grows very steadily, so I can be pretty certain that my initial $1700 investment will eventually rocket there over the next thirty or forty years.
Additionally, on the short side, HD-DVD looks to be a more profitable medium than Blu-Ray, and is holding its own, despite Sony and the PS3.  They've kept up long enough to be the much cheaper alternative, and prices are beginning to look consumer-friendly for the players, as well.  GE is a major proponent of HD-DVD's, and I thought right now would be the time to jump on that.  Since GE owns Universal and NBC, I've looked a bit at what's coming up, and I think they've got a good future there, too.  Heroes is thriving, 30 Rock won an Emmy in the first season, and other things in that line.  I can see similar successes with some of their new shows, too.
As always, they do make electronic devices, too, and that's something I know very little about.  The cross promotion NBC pulls off with this channel can be incredible sometimes, too.  Watch last night's 30 Rock to see how well they do it.

Additionally, NBC is a big pusher of digital distribution, which I believed would win this generation of video format, but it looks like will just become a viable option, instead.  However, since I still think DD will do well this gen and win the next, I see this as NBC getting a head start.  Oh yeah, that 30 Rock?  You can watch it for free online at nbc.com.

So in that regard, I made this buy based on a consistent past and a healthy looking future, and it will probably be very long term, unless sudden shorter term benefit arises.

As far as the Nintendo ADR, I'm thinking I'll probably wind up selling in April or May, right after the fiscal announcements, unless I see something grand coming.  My logic is that Nintendo will have just used all their major franchises on their major platforms, and might run dry for awhile, which could really underwhelm other investors, but they'll be coming off of what is their best fiscal year ever, so the stock should be at an even higher all-time high when I decide to sell, then jump down afterwards, perhaps as much as 10-20%, though that's just my guess.  After it drops, I may decide to re-invest, and hopefully win out again, since all these game industry investors can't really understand how the industry works, and won't buy at their best opportunity, I think.  Like what happened last time.

I know my portfolio is only worth less than a measly $8,000 right now, but I like taking an interest in what's happening in business and in culture, and I think my picks really fit this, and will pay off.  Anyone else thinking about some stocks, have bought some stocks, are major investors, or just want to brag?  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Stock Market
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:27:34 PM »
Of course, you look at the financial statements and ratios (especially the price/earnings one) before making a decision, right?

More conservative people may want to look into index funds and ETFs.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
RE: Stock Market
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »
Well, actually, no, no I don't.  I'm a little new to the game, so I'm learning what is all involved.  I've read reports on sites like the Motley Fool, and other financial companies, which is a major part of why I decided on GE, but I haven't looked at either company's financial statements or ratios.  However, I plan to, now that you mentioned it, thanks!