Author Topic: I got to the most backwards university in the world  (Read 7584 times)

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: I got to the most backwards university in the world
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 12:55:26 AM »
I'm not sure how one argues obscure keyboard shortcuts between vim and emacs  They're both guilty, with emacs likely a little more so than vim, but that's likely just my opinion since I'm more fluent and use vim for normal editing.

However, I get what your saying that emacs seems more of an gui app (as commands have a almost menu like structure to them) and it isn't line based like vim, which likely makes it a bit more sensible as a general text editor.  There used to be more benefits to emacs as well, however vim has advanced to kind of close the gap between the two (although the fundamental line editor mentality is always there).

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:I got to the most backwards university in the world
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 04:20:22 AM »
I like nano...but so far at my uni,  I haven't really used command-line tools or a UNIX shell (just plain old JCreator).
I suspect that'll change soon as I'm gonna do a bunch of C and x86 assembler this fall, not Java so much.
...I've never heard of a uni using DOS though...is the CompSci department small? Maybe that'll explain reluctance to upgrade (that still baffles me though)
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 02:25:19 PM »
Hmm in my intro to Java class we use a combo of Notepad,Textpad, Eclipse, Jbuilder or whatever we want as long as we get the code to work. I'm not too woried since I'm a Computer Networking major so the most programing I usually do is programming Cisco routers, firewalls and PIXes in the labs at school via Hyperterminal.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007, 02:41:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
They're both guilty, with emacs likely a little more so than vim, but that's likely just my opinion since I'm more fluent and use vim for normal editing.

Yeah, its probably a bit of bias because I just never got into vi/m at uni. To each their own...