Author Topic: Necromaning a Laptop  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Necromaning a Laptop
« on: August 17, 2007, 02:57:12 PM »
It's a Compaq Presario 2100. Yes, it sucks, but I got it for free as a friend gave it to me as the hard drive crashed on it and they ordered a new laptop before asking me. Anyway, right now there are two problems: the hard drive and the keyboard.

First is the easiest: Hard drive's busted. Apparently the default one these ship with is a pile of junk. Ran a diagnostic, loads of bad sectors. It's dead. I can pick up an 80 gig SATA (2.5 inch, of course) for ~$60. The old one's a SATA also. This I'm certain of.

Next, is the Keyboard. The guy tried to take it apart to fix the drive (despite you can access the hard drive without removing the case) and broke the keyboard cable. Being a good guy yet an idiot, he attempted to fix it by using Krazy Glue. Yes, Krazy Glue. The connectors to the mobo look clean, but is there any way to make sure without damaging the thing? I've found a replacement keyboard on Ebay for $20 (with shipping), and I want to make sure it'll fit into the slot.

Anyway thanks.    
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Necromancing a Laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 02:00:57 AM »
Where did he put the glue- on the connector to the motherboard, or somewhere along the cable? As long as the connector is the same type and the connector has not been fouled up with glue, it should work.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
RE:Necromancing a Laptop
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 02:18:30 AM »

Originally posted by: UERD
Where did he put the glue- on the connector to the motherboard, or somewhere along the cable? As long as the connector is the same type and the connector has not been fouled up with glue, it should work.

On the part that should clip into the connector. Fortunately, it looks like the glue dried before he was able to put it in. I just want to make sure.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Necromancing a Laptop
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 08:40:56 AM »
As long as their is now glue at the contact points it shouldn't really matter.  Push comes to shove you can just use a USB keyboard and call it a day.  My friend got a Mac from another friend because the screen stop working.  At that point it just became a desktop for all intents and purposes.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 01:00:10 PM »
did someone mention NECROMANCY?!!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 01:07:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
As long as their is now glue at the contact points it shouldn't really matter.  Push comes to shove you can just use a USB keyboard and call it a day.  My friend got a Mac from another friend because the screen stop working.  At that point it just became a desktop for all intents and purposes.

Yeah, I've been using a PS2 keyboard to access the BIOS. So far the ideas I've heard to clean the connectors have been A) Steel wool B) An X-Acto knife and C) A Q-Tip with some rubbing alcohol. I'm going to use the knife first to see if I can scrape any remaining gunk off.

Originally posted by: ThePerm
did someone mention NECROMANCY?!!

Yes. In fact, I can also teach you the secret to alchemy. Its rather simple.