Author Topic: NBA Playoff Thread  (Read 7750 times)

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
NBA Playoff Thread
« on: May 03, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Since there is a white dominated sport thread here I figured the politically correct thing to do was to include a black dominated sport thread too.  OMG i no i said "black", what I meant to say was African American.

Anyways talk about any games, predictions, root for a team, bad mouth a team, bad mouth a certain so called MVP who is now out of the Playoffs and couldn't score more than 8pts in a must win game.

So how bout them Mavericks!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
RE: NBA Playoff Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:02:10 PM »
Man, am I glad the Mavs lost. I like Dirk Nowitski, but I HATE Mark Cuban. Could that guy be a bigger douche? In fact, I'm pretty sure I dislike everyone on the Mavs except Dirk.

Steve Nash for MVP all the way. I say this because the NBA needs more guys like him. Yeah, it's amazing to see Kobe score 81 points a game or go for 50 in like 4 straight games. However, in Nash, you have a guy who makes everyone better and gets everyone involved. That's why he deserves it.

So anyway, I'm rooting for the Warriors in their series regardless of who wins the Jazz/Rockets series. I hope the Jazz win because I don't like Tracy McGrady. He's a whiner... and one who doesn't know what defense is.

Even though I wanted the Heat to beat Chicago, I now want Chicago to beat Detroit. That team is way too cocky. Rasheed Wallace is a douche as well.

I don't feel like running through all the teams so I'll end by saying that I hope the Suns win it all. Even though Steve Nash isn't my favorite player, I think he deserves a championship ring.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 05:41:47 AM »
I don't really follow the NBA but after the absolute joke that was the Canucks game I switched the channel to see Golden State eliminate Dallas.  That was a great sports moment!  The 8th seed beats the favourites to win it all at home after the franchise hasn't made the playoffs in, what, 13 years or something like that.  Plus you got that guy limping the whole game.  That's heart and love it when guys give it their all.  Golden State could lose the next four games and their fans will still remember this season as something special.

I guess I'm cheering for the Suns because Nash is a local BC boy and thus the one basketball player anyone in this area really seems to care about (aside from the Raptors since they're the only Canadian team).  With the hockey playoffs on at the same time though I don't expect to catch many games, if any.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:35:32 AM »
PhoSuns all the way!

Isn't the league gonna look stupid when they hand Dirk the MVP award.  Silly Dirk.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
RE:NBA Playoff Thread
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 09:46:30 AM »
According to TNT last night, Dirk wouldn't be the first player to win MVP and get eliminated in the first round. The others were Wes Unseld and Moses Malone (twice), something like 25-35 years ago. I think MVP is judged entirely by the regular season.

Either way, the Warriors deserve all the credit in the world for winning the series. They just wanted it more and it showed. You'd think the Mavs would've tried something different... you know, like DOUBLE TEAM Baron Davis.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:49:34 AM »
I'd imagine they wouldn't even look at him as they presented it too him, shameful really.  It would be funny as hell if a reporter asked him "so Dirk do you think you really deserve the award?"  The guy would probably lose his job though.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »
Prediction: The Bulls won't lose a game in the entire postseason. Luol Deng Finals MVP. BELIEVE IT!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »
DEEEETROIIIIT......Basketball!
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 06:42:59 PM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
Prediction: The Bulls won't lose a game in the entire postseason. Luol Deng Finals MVP. BELIEVE IT!

so much for that.... Detriot up 2-0

What did u guys think of the Suns game today, 20 point victory for the suns!  With some personal bias, I'd say the suns should be up 2-0 if it wasn't for some key calls in game 1.  I don't like the outlook though, suns need to take at least one game in San Antonio or else I don't see them winning the series.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 04:45:22 PM »
I'm picking the suns, but I couldn't resist posting this
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:13:38 PM »
thnk u!  

However I hope Chicago can at least pull some wins at Home, I don't want Detriot thinking they are unbeatable all the way to the Finals.  Lets face it Cleavland and the Nets don't have a chance against Detriot, Chicago is really their only competition this year in the east.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 04:08:07 AM »
Phoenix really needs to win saturday night.  Their only hope of continuing to win is to keep SA down...

I hope they can.  I'm gonna have to Tivo the game as I'm seeing a TMBG show at the same time.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 12:32:50 PM »
Way to go NBA.  You are freaking morons.  Amare get's kicked in the achilles... nothing.  Nash get kneed in the groin.. a regular foul.  Nash gets hip checked into the scorers table.. Spurs lose their 8th man and phoenix loses two of their top 6?

Come on.  Is this sports?

Assholes.
---------------------

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 03:06:52 PM »
.....man am i pissed.  It's like the NBA is trying to force the series into a 7 game series.  Personally I thought all the games so far where winnable for the suns if it wasn't for some bad officiating.

However it was Amare and Diaw's fault for getting on the court.  The thing that pisses me off most is that Robert Horry is being rewarded instead of being punished, plus you know the rule is going to get changed next season now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 09:39:09 PM »
It was Amare's fault for walking like 20 feet off the bench. He's one of the star players on the Suns and that rule is like a decade old. He should have known better. That rule may get changed, but it's not going to happen in the middle of the playoffs.

The Suns can still win Game 5. They spent all of last year sans Stoudemire, though having Tim Thomas at the end of year and in the playoffs made things a bit easier. They're going to need big games from Marion and Barbosa. Steve Nash has to be more of a scorer too to make up for the loss of Amere's nearly 25% of Phoenix's offense. The way I see it, whoever wins this game is going to win the series... and probably the championship.

So how about them Warriors? They just plain ran out of gas. And man, do they need a post-up player and someone who can REBOUND the ball.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 01:10:55 AM »
Everyone else thinks the "He's going to check in excuse" is a lie, but I think it should count.  No matter what, even if that foul was light and normal, Amare would have been sprinting to the scorers table.  If you watch the tape, the ONLY reason he entered the floor at all was because people were in his way from getting to the table.

The league should have just suspended Diaw.  As much of a lie as it may sound, it's a legitimate excuse.
---------------------

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 05:34:40 AM »
I've never cared for rule sticklers.  The NBA is just following the rule but there's supposed to be a reason for the rule and that's to discourage fighting.  But if the rule being carried out by the book results in a team being REWARDED for a cheap play then an exception should be made.  All this does it give incentive for teams to have pests in their lineup.

Though as a hockey fan the whole thing seems so bizarre to me.  In hockey if a guy takes a cheap shot at another player usually a big brawl erupts and in the end if anyone gets suspended it's the guy who made the initial cheap shot.  Penalties at the time may be given out but in the end usually the "bad team" gets the punishment.

The NBA reminds me of when I was in elementary school and if a kid started beating you up you BOTH got in trouble for fighting even if you didn't defend yourself.  What if a brawl started with the players on the court and a guy on the bench saw his teammate getting repeatedly punched in the head with no way to defend himself?  He's the closest to the scene and gets off the bench to pull the other player off his teammate to protect him.  The NBA would punish him for doing what he should do.  The league has to realize there is a night and day difference between fighting and defending your teammate.  Anyone who came off that bench did so because they were concerned about their star player.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 07:34:56 AM »
You know if they want to be rule sticklers why didn't they suspend Tim Duncan and Jack Vauhn?  In the 2nd qtr, that Elson guy went in and dunked the ball landed on the head and shoulders of James Jones I think and both players went down bad, Tim Duncan at that time stepped about 2 feet onto the court until Jack Vauhn pushed him back to the bench.  No fight broke out at that time, but there could have been.

The least they could have done was suspend Horry for 2 games.  Oh and how come Bruce Bowen didn't get a fine, suspension, or a flagrant foul for kneeing Nash in the groin?  I don't think that was an accident, you don't normally raise your knee that high when pivoting around.  The way I see it right now San Antonio is one hell of a dirty team.  Nash has been bloodied, Kneed to the groin, body checked, and yet all that has been called was a foul on himself, a lousy offensive foul on Bowen, and a flagrant foul on Horry (8th man) that is somehow rewarded by eliminating the suns 2nd and 7th man.  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 09:15:51 AM »
Robert Horry totally baited the Suns bench and Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw fell for it. The NBA isn't rewarding the Spurs. They're upholding a rule. Stoudemire and Diaw didn't just take two steps off the bench, they ran to the scorer's table. I totally saw what Horry was trying to do. The Spurs have been trying to take Nash out of the series. They got rid of two key Suns players for a pivotal game which isn't a bad tradeoff for a dirty team. Most analysts say it was a frustration foul, but Horry knew exactly what he was doing.

I think the rule is too strict and that the NBA needs to change the rule so that it allows league officials to use more discretion. I want the Suns to win, but it was Stoudemire and Diaw's fault for leaving the bench. The refs would have ejected Horry and the league dealt with it afterwards. I understand that it's the heat of the moment, but you can't jeopardize the series by acting irrationally.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 10:26:04 AM »
"I understand that it's the heat of the moment, but you can't jeopardize the series by acting irrationally."

I would argue that it wasn't irrational.  When your stay player gets punked out it's instinctive to want to defend him.  A good teammate should care about the welfare of his other teammates.  The worst you can say about Stoudemire and Diaw is that they got tricked into getting suspended.

I will give the NBA credit for one thing though: I'm totally catching the game tonight.  I haven't really watched much of the NBA playoffs since the NHL playoffs are on at the same time.  I've caught little bits here and there and everything else has been in sports show highlights.  But this series has such perfect drama it would fit in professional wrestling.  Now I've gotta see it.  The NBA screwing the Suns just adds to it so their stupidity has increased my interest.  Though the Suns have to come ahead somehow for it to be truly satisfying.  They have to come out ahead in the end even if it's years later (like how the Avs won the Stanley Cup in 1996 but the Red Wings got revenge by winning back-to-back cups the next two years).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 10:49:41 AM »

Ian Sane wrote:
I would argue that it wasn't irrational. When your stay player gets punked out it's instinctive to want to defend him. A good teammate should care about the welfare of his other teammates. The worst you can say about Stoudemire and Diaw is that they got tricked into getting suspended.

Yes, Stoudemire should care about his fellow teammates but not leaving the bench doesn't mean he doesn't care. There were 4 other Suns players on the floor. There were also referees. Nash is also a grown man.

The NBA didn't screw the Suns. The Suns screwed themselves. Stoudemire and Diaw shouldn't have left the bench, they're professional basketball players, they know the rules. It's not like it was a new rule or anything. And where the hell was the coaching staff? Keep the players in check while sh*t is going down. They know the rules too. You could see some of the assistant coaches pulling Stoudemire back just a little too late.

I want the Suns to win, but the suspensions were totally their fault. Come on, Robert Horry is a known douchebag.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 02:07:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock

Ian Sane wrote:
Come on, Robert Horry is a known douchebag.

I'll agree to that statement.  I think he has the most championship rings out of all active players, yet at no point in his career anyone would consider him an all star player.

Here is some quick Douchebag Facts on Horry:

8/19/96 - Houston trades forwards Robert Horry, Mark Bryant and Chucky Brown and guard Sam Cassell for Charles Barkley and a second round draft pick.

1/6/97 - Phoenix Suns forward Robert Horry was suspended yesterday for two games without pay for throwing a towel and swearing at Coach Danny Ainge during Sunday's game against the Boston Celtics.  He will miss today's game in Atlanta and tomorrow's game at Washington.  The altercation happened when Horry was taken out in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game at Boston, which the Suns lost, 109-102.  He screamed obscenities at Ainge and threw a towel in his face before being restrained by teammates.

1/10/97 - Robert Horry and Joe Kliene were traded from Pheonix to the Lakers in return for Ceballos and Rumeal Robinson.

5/12/97 - Los Angeles Lakers forward Robert Horry was ejected from Monday night's Western Conference playoff game against Utah after taking a swing at the Jazz's Jeff Hornacek in the third quarter.  Horry threw a punch that appeared to strike Hornacek in the chest, sending the Utah guard's neck snapping back. Hornacek was not injured and continued to play, but Horry, with three points, was ejected.

4/24/03 - Robert Horry, generally one of the Lakers' most mild-mannered individuals, has been fined $10,000 for one decidedly ill-mannered gesture. Horry shoved a TNT cameraman as he walked off the Target Center court at halftime of Tuesday's Game2 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves.  Horry called it self- defense.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 06:53:32 AM »
Decided to bring this thread back from the dead....umm....that was such a foul on LeBron last night
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 06:56:16 AM »
Not watching and neither is most the world because the league is retarded.
---------------------

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 01:04:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Ages
Decided to bring this thread back from the dead....umm....that was such a foul on LeBron last night

Lowest scoring NBA Final since the shot clock was introduced and this is the thing you notice?

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 04:17:59 PM »
I'm from Cleveland, I'm watching... even though I've hated the NBA for a while now.  (Got to support Cleveland sports! We rock! in spirit!)

And yes it was a foul.... the camera crews caught the San A. coaching talking about "fouls" durring his timeout.  He was trying to foul him intentionally....

However we had SOOOO many chances to score and between horibile shots, and decent shots not falling in .... bah.

I just want one win so there's no sweep, for the cities sake.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 08:57:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Shift Key

Originally posted by: Ages

Lowest scoring NBA Final since the shot clock was introduced and this is the thing you notice?

Well it was the conclusion of the game.  Pretty much decided the outcome.  Though, frankly the only difference this game has in the series is whether or not the Spurs won the series 4-0 or 4-1.  I think San Antonio is getting the brooms out if ya know what i mean

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 04:51:04 PM »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 12:31:15 PM »
Spurs are cheaters, ever since they paid off the reffs for phoenix, iv been rooting for everyone to beat the Spurs
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Playoff Thread
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 01:34:16 PM »
The Spurs got beat by the awesomeness that is the New Phoenix Suns in their home court last night.

Playoffs are now less than two weeks away anybody got predictions? I was a little nervous about Shaq going to the Suns but he did ok last night.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 02:07:22 PM »
I expect Boston and New Orleans to live up to their number 1 seeds.  I'm a huge Suns fans and while I'm kind of bummed that they gave up on their core team for the Shaq trade, I still want them to do well.

Philadelphia has been beating great teams for the last month or so, so they are my dark horse overall.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them make it to at least the eastern conference finals in some form.

I predict Dallas to go down in the first round again this year.  I also think the Lakers are going to choke when they try and work Bynum back in.
---------------------

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 04:45:49 PM »
Nash was actually playing pretty good last night considering he's been having back trouble. The Suns were so close last year. Of course I'm a Bulls fan first Suns are my number 2 team but Bulls ain't been doing nothing for me this year.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 02:13:29 AM »
While I'd love to see Celtics vs. Lakers if only for nostalgia's sake, I'm going to go with Lakers vs. Magic in the NBA Finals, just because I like the Magic, hate the Pistons, and think Boston is going to choke hardcore in the playoffs. The only other team worth mentioning in the East is Cleveland and I don't think they're going anywhere. They have the 2nd best player in the NBA (next to Bryant) but the rest of the team just isn't anywhere near as helpful as they need to be. Also, I like the Sixers, but the best they can hope for is to slow down the Pistons.

I haven't really been keeping up with the NBA though I usually only pay attention during the playoffs. I hope, at least, this year's playoffs aren't the complete letdown that last year's playoffs were which were defined by the lame Suns/Spurs series outcome and the ultra boring Finals crush where we just watched the Spurs mow through the Cavs because Lebron James is the only player on that team who came ready to play anything resembling basketball in the Finals.