Author Topic: Xenosaga to be a Nintendo exclusive?  (Read 26556 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Xenosaga to be a Nintendo exclusive?
« on: April 26, 2007, 06:27:53 PM »
Nintendo bought Monolith Soft (Xenosage, Baten Katos, Disaster Day of Crisis)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152789

Not to be confused with Monolith Productions (No one Lives Forever. F.E.A.R.)  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Xenosaga to be a Nintendo exclusive?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 06:35:38 PM »
Hmm, this gives me more confidence in Disaster - Nintendo must have been pleased with the progress.

This is good because it adds more first-party variety with RPGs.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Xenosaga to be a Nintendo exclusive?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:09:42 PM »
This is tremendous news! Nintendo has always been pretty smart about who they decide to buy. Look at Rare, when they let Rare go people were screaming, but it turns out that it was a good descision, since Rare hasn't done much in the way of quality games except for Viva Pinata. Silicon Knights may end up the same way, and if anything losing them wasn't a big loss because they take forever (even by Rare standards) to release something. So I am expecting big things from Monolith in the coming years.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »
Wow.

I really hope Disaster turns out awesome now. It has the potential to be so innovative and exciting, I hope that Monolith Soft fulfills some expectations there!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 09:41:18 PM »
Its about time, the DS has been printing out soooo much money soooo quickly for Nintendo, that they had to start spending it cause they ran out of room to store it all. Hopefully we hear about some more financial endeavours of Nintendo's in the near future.

Maybe some investment into indie devs too, possibly to get some original content onto the VC or something.

grievous error rectified
and for further rectification (does that sound dirty to anyone else?)

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 10:45:03 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Its about time, the DS has been printing out soooo much money soooo quickly for Nintendo, that they had to start spending it cause they ran out of room to store it all. Hopefully we hear about some more financial endeavours of Nintendo's in the near future. ...

It should be a crime to mention the DS's extraordinary ability to print money without posting the accompanying picture. Don't worry I'll give you time to rectify this grievous error.

In regards to the acquisition news, it should turn out to be a good move. I enjoyed the surreal art style of Baten Kaitos and the variety in their stable of franchises should help broaden Nintendo's library of Wii titles.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.”

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 02:40:30 AM »
I thought that was a different Monolith.

Also we need a meme GIF that shows Iwata et all using the money printing consoles to cut Harrisson and Hirai to pieces with the money that shoots out.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 03:20:47 AM »
We all know this means Nintendo will sell them in 4 years. :p
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 03:25:55 AM »
Mmmm, tasty...Looking forward to Disaster even more now...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 03:49:54 AM »
Heh, I friend of mine is going to go wacko once he reads the gaming news for today, he loves the Xenosaga series, I'm thinking of giving him a good scare "hey, did you read the news, Nintendo bought Sony and the PS3 is no longer MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!".

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 05:40:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Strell
We all know this means Nintendo will sell them in 4 years. :p

Yeah, after we've had time to love them like a part of the company itself.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 06:02:04 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Hmm, this gives me more confidence in Disaster - Nintendo must have been pleased with the progress.

Or maybe it was the opposite, and they bought Monolith a la Retro Studios to redo the whole thing.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 06:56:13 AM »
Whatever the case, it should turn out better.. which is good, because I'm really excited for Disaster.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Pittbboi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 07:51:13 AM »
I don't care what this means for Disaster (the game has been in development for well over a year now, by the time all the paperwork goes through for the buyout, it'll probably be too late for Nintendo to make any major changes to what's already been done to the game. That is unless, of course, they push it ba......crap).

What's even more exciting is what this means for RPGs on the Wii!!

List of Things to do to Make RPGs a Viable Genre on the Wii
1) Kiss Square-Enix's round, supple ass... *check*
2) Easy to develop for hardware...............*check*
3) Acquire competent RPG developer.........*check*

I'd say we're almost there! Screw Batan Kaitos, I hope Namco allows Monolith to continue the Xeno series on the Wii. Or maybe we'll get something brand new--finally a nice, down-home RPG that doesn't try too hard to be "unique". Come on! Gimme cliché storylines, a group of immature teenagers (and at least one loli) inexplicably charged with saving the country/world/solar system/universe/All Possible Existence, J-Pop haircuts, convoluted battle systems, level-grinding, and a feel-good soundtrack. I want it baaaaad.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »
I don't know about the story behind Monolith Software, and I didn't like Baten Kaitos. Are they really a competent and respected developer in the field?

Originally posted by: Pittbboi
Or maybe we'll get something brand new--finally a nice, down-home RPG that doesn't try too hard to be "unique". Come on! Gimme cliché storylines, a group of immature teenagers (and at least one loli) inexplicably charged with saving the country/world/solar system/universe/All Possible Existence, J-Pop haircuts, convoluted battle systems, level-grinding, and a feel-good soundtrack. I want it baaaaad.

*hangs head* I... I... I can't agree with you. *looks away*

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 09:45:43 AM »
Isn't the story for the Xeno games finished?  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »

I don't care what this means for Disaster (the game has been in development for well over a year now, by the time all the paperwork goes through for the buyout, it'll probably be too late for Nintendo to make any major changes to what's already been done to the game. That is unless, of course, they push it ba......crap).

I'd say we're almost there! Screw Batan Kaitos, I hope Namco allows Monolith to continue the Xeno series on the Wii. Or maybe we'll get something brand new--finally a nice, down-home RPG that doesn't try too hard to be "unique". Come on! Gimme cliché storylines, a group of immature teenagers (and at least one loli) inexplicably charged with saving the country/world/solar system/universe/All Possible Existence, J-Pop haircuts, convoluted battle systems, level-grinding, and a feel-good soundtrack. I want it baaaaad.

"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Isn't the story for the Xeno games finished?
Yep, Xenosaga is done and dusted. Namco probably own the IP anyway.
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 03:29:27 PM »

I'll drink to that!

As for the who Xenosage thing, from what I've been able to find Monolith Soft still owns it along with Baten Katos. Namco was only the publisher. So this give a chance that we could see Xenogear on the VC or DS. And this also gives a chance that Kos-Mos could be in SSBB.

Also as for the Xeno series, they did a sort of rap up in Xenosaga 3 BUT the original plan was for the series to stretch 9 parts so we could see that come back to light OR we could see a true sequel to Xenogear or another spin-off. I am pretty sure the Xeno series is far from dead.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 03:42:30 PM »
Didn't Tri-Crescendo work on Baten Kaitos? Would Monolith be fine if forced to stand on their own?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 04:14:58 PM »

Originally posted by: capamerica

I'll drink to that!

As for the who Xenosage thing, from what I've been able to find Monolith Soft still owns it along with Baten Katos. Namco was only the publisher. So this give a chance that we could see Xenogear on the VC or DS. And this also gives a chance that Kos-Mos could be in SSBB.

Also as for the Xeno series, they did a sort of rap up in Xenosaga 3 BUT the original plan was for the series to stretch 9 parts so we could see that come back to light OR we could see a true sequel to Xenogear or another spin-off. I am pretty sure the Xeno series is far from dead.

I was just about to ask about the rights to Xenosaga. I read your idea about KOS-MOS being in Brawl and wanted to point out that she is still owned by Namco, but if what you read is true then my question has been answered.

However, the third party characters in Brawl rule is that the character must've appeared on a Nintendo console at least once. The Xeno series has always been Sony exclusive, and I doubt Xenosaga DS might be enough to justify the inclusion (unless they remake all three Xeno games for the Wii).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »
I think Namco still owns the Xeno series. Episode 3 was a quasi-end to the "trilogy." From what I've read, it was the last part of KOS-MOS and co's story then Episode 4 would have a new cast that continued the storyline thousands of years in the future. There were supposed to be 6 episodes, but Namco didn't want to make any more. That said, if there is another Xeno title, I'd expect it to come out of Nintendo's pocket.

Also, I don't know if this matters, but doesn't Nintendo own stock in Namco-Bandai?

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 05:31:40 PM »
We're not going to find out if Nintendo gets the whole Xenosaga series until May 1st when the transaction goes though. But If this is anything like what happened with Rare I wouldn't be at all surprised if all Monolith Soft created series go with them. It would really surprise me if Hirohide Sugiura actually agreed to give control over his creations when he founded Monolith Soft. From what I can figure out all Namco got out of their initial investment (which was just done to help Hirohide Sugiura to start Monolith Soft) was 96% stock hold and exclusive publishing rights to their games. I can't find anything about Namco actually owning their creations. As I said I would be VERY surprised if Hirohide Sugiura didn't make sure he kept the rights to his work.

And hey if Snake can get into Brawl with 2 NES games and a GameCube remake, I think a DS game and the fact that they own it could get Kos-Mos in the game. Plus Nintendo needs more female characters in SSB anyway.  
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 06:49:50 PM »
ut If this is anything like what happened with Rare I wouldn't be at all surprised if all Monolith Soft created series go with them.

I don't think so. Few publishers let developers keep their copyrights, the default situation is that the publisher owns everything.

Also I doubt KOSMOS would be in Smash Bros, at least the Wii one (unless they allow downloadable characters and add some later) even if this would give Nintendo the rights to that character. It's not a character anyone would even casually associate with Nintendo. They don't want that many third party characters either so I'd say they should focus more on characters that have been iconic rather than the titillation for a convoluted Playstation RPG. Snake at least had some games on the NES. Though I think third party characters should be at least as iconic as the third party chars in Captain N, meaning Mega Man, Simon Belmont and the like.

Though Megaman has lost a lot of iconism already as Megaman X 8 is labeleed "As known from the TV series!" here... What kind of world do we live in where people know freaking Megaman only as a cartoon character?

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 03:06:33 AM »
Namco got to own 96% of the stock and had exclusive publishing rights to all their games. All Namco was, was an investor not the actual owners, if Namco had all that plus the rights to all his creations then why didn't Hirohide Sugiura just go work for Namco instead of having a fake company. I can't find anything about Namco actually owning their creations. But I'm willing to bet that to keep the rights to his series Hirohide Sugiura agreed to give Namco 96% of their stock. I would be VERY surprised if Hirohide Sugiura didn't make sure he kept the rights to his work.

If you look at what happen with Rare you can see we can't go by who the copyrights are registered under. If that was the case according to copyrights filed Nintendo would have kept the Banjo-Kazooie series and Killer Instinct.

We're just going to have to wait till May 1st to see what happens.

As for Kos-Mos in SSBB, the only limit that was ever put onto the game for 3rd party characters was they had to appear on a Nintendo system once. Love it or hate it Xenosaga did have a DS game, the story was a retelling of the first 2 games, but everything else was new and built from the ground up for Nintendo, it wasn't a upgraded remake for the GameCube or a downgraded remake for the DS. There is a market that really liked the DS game almost as much of a nitch market that likes some of the forgotten NES games series that fans keep bugging Nintendo about. Sure Kos-Mos would be more recognized as a PS2 character but sadly so will a lot of 3rd party characters. Do you think people are going to look at Snake and remember him from Nintendo games? No, hell people see Snake more as a Sony mascot then Jak and Ratchet.

I say even if the character is more looked upon as a Sony character use them anyway. It sends a message that times are changing and if you want to follow your favorite series its time to come over to Nintendo.

As much as I hate the idea I would support Nintendo putting in Sora from Kingdom Hearts or..... Cloud from FFVII, AS long as we are insured that KH would be going to the Wii and DS or that a FFVII remake was coming to Nintendo.
Crow ~ MST3K