Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3131676 times)

Offline zakkiel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2006, 04:08:16 PM »
I'm far from prepared to forecast complete doom for the PS3. Blu-Ray is still a huge unknown quantity here, and launch games aren't going to stop selling just because the launch window closes. Plus, the PS brand is strong enough that there's still massive demand for the system, bad pricing, horrible marketing, lack of games, and all. But I can't see any way Sony won't lose a lot of marketshare this generation.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2006, 04:28:49 PM »
The drop in eBay prices shows that the demand is nearly as high as it was before the system was released. Also, demand doesn't do any good when there's no supply.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2006, 04:44:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
The drop in eBay prices shows that the demand is nearly as high as it was before the system was released. Also, demand doesn't do any good when there's no supply.

Wait, is or isn't? Anyway, eBay is such a small micro example that it doesn't really hold any water in terms of general demand or opinion. Still, interesting to note that regardless though.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2006, 02:04:37 AM »
There's been about 20,000 PS3s sold on eBay, that's about 8-9% of the total US sales.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2006, 03:08:18 AM »
I think PS3 would have to tank really hard for Sony to dump it.  The system is too much a part of Sony's Blu-ray plans, not to mention Playstation itself has been Sony's biggest brand over the past decade.  I don't think Sony will give either of those up in just two years.

I could see PS3 being Sony's last console, though, and I could definitely see it being killed off early in order to bring PS4 to market sooner.  Like zakkiel said, the one thing that's for certain is Sony will lose marketshare this generation.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2006, 10:43:07 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke
NO GUNDAM GAME HAS EVER BEEN ANY GOOD!!!
LIES

Endless Duel was cool, as was Battle Assault 2 on PSX...

but SideStory, Climax UC and the VS series are all kinds of awesome....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2006, 01:41:08 PM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I think PS3 would have to tank really hard for Sony to dump it.  The system is too much a part of Sony's Blu-ray plans, not to mention Playstation itself has been Sony's biggest brand over the past decade.  I don't think Sony will give either of those up in just two years.

I could see PS3 being Sony's last console, though, and I could definitely see it being killed off early in order to bring PS4 to market sooner.  Like zakkiel said, the one thing that's for certain is Sony will lose marketshare this generation.

I think overall Sony was in a better position before the Playstation then afterwards.  As a whole.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2006, 03:49:34 AM »
Definitely as a whole Sony was better off back in the day.  I was reading over some articles about Playstation 2 and I was surprised to find it has had its share of financial problems.  Most notably when the Yen became strong in 2003, it hit Sony quite hard (Nintendo too, actually) and also around launch time Sony had a lot of problems.  I recall the original Playstation was quoted as being responsible for nearly 1/3 of Sony's profit at its peak.  I imagine PS2 has also been profitable, but you may be right, Sony may already be experiencing a decline in the video game market.

That said, Sony's had even more trouble in other electronics markets. IPod nearly obliterated Sony's portable music market and Samsung has apparently taken a lot of Sony's TV market.  I think the electronics industry in general has seen a lot of change in the past few years as digital cameras, portable DVD players, Cell phones and handheld computers all allowed relative unknowns to make a mark.

I still don't see Sony dumping PS3 very easily, but I suppose it could happen.  It would require a sudden shift in Sony's overall business strategy, I'd say.  

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2006, 04:07:14 AM »
Wow, if sony dumped PS3 I can't imagine how pissed those bozos who spent $2000+ on it would be!  Suckers.....
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2006, 04:52:57 AM »
Sometimes bozos are such bozos they don't even know or care what's going on!  I know one guy who traded an old (but still good) TV for an Xbox 360 a year ago and he still hasn't even played it.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2006, 10:29:36 AM »
My brother in law's buddy bought a second Xbox360 for some reason. He still hasn't opened it.  Very strange.  Although this is the same guy who build a lego Star Wars Star Destroyer that's bigger than his kitchen table and it's just sitting in one of his bedrooms. Some people just have too much time on their hands...  
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline willie1234

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2006, 11:53:42 AM »
via kotaku -
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14685

npd - November, 2006

ds - 918,000
ps2 - 664,000
gameboy - 641,000
360 - 511,000
Wii -  476,000
Ps3 - 197,000

ps2 still going strong!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2006, 12:25:12 PM »
Zelda had an 87% attach rate...that's amazing.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »
Its been a long while, but I honestly believe that nintendo is in a good position to restore some of its market share and regain some 3rd party support.

The ps2 is still dominating all consoles, but i'm 100% sure if the wii had more units it would have surpased the ps2's sales. The 360 looks like it sold like crap. 500K in november WITH your killer app released in the same month. Thats weak. Although gears took number 1 in software, it did so in it's first 2 weeks, that means it probably won't be moving anymore 360's.

Anyone know if the 360 has ever managed to overtake the ps2?
And seriously, the ps2 and gba are monsters, they must have hit well over the saturation point, but god damn are they still selling like mad.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2006, 01:24:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure the NPD numbers are wrong, especially since Wal-Mart is not included. I believe Nintendo when they say they sold 660,000+ systems in the 1st week.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2006, 01:26:42 PM »
Wal-mart is never included in NPD's numbers (Unlike Media Crate in Japan, the NPD isn't a complete list of retailers...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2006, 01:27:14 PM »
I think they sold +600K after they resupplied, i think the initial batch was less then 600K

Either way NPD "estimates" for all non-covered data, this includes on-line stores and wal-mart

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2006, 02:36:59 PM »
They sold 600K in North America, NPD just covers the US. So you figure 475,000 in the US means probably 100,00 in Canada and 25,000 in Mexico (or 75/50). Sounds reasonable to me. And don't forget they only count full weeks, so this just covers the Wii's first 7 days.

They also had an average attach rate of 2 (rounded of course) which is amazing since WiiSports comes with it (not included in the attach rate).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot it was total NA sales. Isn't Mexico Central America?

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2006, 03:06:43 PM »
nope. Its NA. So is central america, its part of the north american continent.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2006, 03:42:49 PM »
NPD extrapolates to get their figures..

Wow, the DS is a monster.. I would have given up on the North American market if Mario and the DS Lite didn't affect sales much, but since May North America has finally caught on to the phenomenon.

The tie-in ratio is just amazing.. Sony should really worry about this - as the PSP has shown them, software sales are horrible if you put the focus on multimedia. Zelda at 86% with so many other titles available? That's crazy..

And yeah, the 360 sales are dismal, and way below expected sales. Even though Gears of War sold well, it shows that most of target market of those sorts of games has already bought a 360. Microsoft needs to find a way to expand their market.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2006, 03:51:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Amodaus1
nope. Its NA. So is central america, its part of the north american continent.
no it isn't, that it's called "Central America" and not "north America" as well

mind you that the 600000+ figure that Nintendo mentioned was for ALL America (yeah, including Central and South America), so the the fact that there are 125000+ "missing" from the US numbers sounds about right....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2006, 04:09:42 PM »
There is no Central American continent. It's simply a region. Central America is in North America.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2006, 04:10:11 PM »
I think Microsoft may see a little extra growth after the holidays, I know a lot of peopl that have been waiting for atleast a handful of games for the 360 before buying it.  I think some of those people will buckle under the pressure of Gears of War, Dead Rising, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Oblivion, and Fight Night.

(Note:  all said games tend to fit a certain demographic, and won't expand their market.)

However I do agree If Microsoft doesn't do something soon their market will never really grow much at all.  If Microsoft employee's keep saying how much they love Nintendo and hate Sony maybe they should steal a page or two from Nintendo and come out with a game that is unique and unexpected.  Blue Dragon in Japan was a good attempt but we haven't seen how that has worked out yet.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2006, 08:09:55 PM »
Interestingly enough, the XBox 360 is tracking at about the same rate as the XBox did! It's only about... oh... 6% better than the XBox 1's performace, and definitely tracking behind equivalent PS2 numbers.

But don't forget Lost Planet on the XBox 360! Sure to expand MS's market beyond Space Marines to Giant Insect Alien aficionados!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.