Author Topic: Contact  (Read 23375 times)

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: Contact
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 08:30:45 PM »
I just heard that it wont feature any Blast Processing™ so I'm not interested anymore.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Contact
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2006, 09:06:52 AM »
Yeah, but it will display 256 colors at once, with a total palette of 32,768.  Beat THAT!

Oh yeah, and official site
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 05:47:14 AM »
So what I've recently realized is that the game features an indirect control method, where you're "manipulating" Terry's actions through the stylus, rather than controlling everything he does.  That reminds me of Pac-man 2: The New Adventures, which was a pretty neat concept (you shot pellets to make Pac-Man notice things or change directions, and sometimes he'd get sick of your abusive pellet-shooting and ignore you).  The controls were neat, but often kind of hard to use.  It'll be interesting to see how this game implements them.  

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 11:43:24 AM »
Eliminating the delay between firing and hitting would be a good start.
GOREGASM!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 11:33:22 AM »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 12:13:56 PM »
I noticed NP's review was pretty rough.  The basic complaint was that it's cool, but doesn't play well.

I don't trust NP's reviews that much anymore so I will wait and see what some others say, but if it gets so-so reviews everywhere...well, I really need more money for Wii.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 04:34:59 PM »
Gamestop.com = 10/19
Amazon.com = 10/24

I hope it's really coming out tomorrow
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 04:49:37 PM »

So what I've recently realized is that the game features an indirect control method, where you're "manipulating" Terry's actions through the stylus

I think this is a great idea. The DS makes it almost impossible to feel completely immersed in a game. Or at least, I tend to feel somewhat seperated from my DS games. It's hard to lose yourself in a game that you have to control with a stylus, as you switch your attention between two screens. It seems like grasshopper has picked up on this, and is capitalizing on it by making a game where you aren't in the world. You're simply contacting it, with your DS. Brilliant.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 04:46:53 AM »
You control Terry as you would any other game character, but the feel is that you are not actually playing as terry, but as an outside controlling terry.

The game is fun.  It has a Final Fantasy 2 level up system, fight to get stronger, get hit to increase hp.  And you can't just keep using healing items carte blanche, you have a digestive system that can only hold so much, and each item has it's own time limit before it is digested.  some like herbs only fill up a little bit and last for a short period of time, but like cheeseburgers take a couple minutes.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 06:45:56 AM »
Can you choke and die on the spot if you eat too much like in a certain RPG?

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2006, 08:00:34 AM »
no, if you try and eat something else and your "tummy" is already full or too full for what item you want to eat, it just tells you that you can't eat anything else right now.

Offline hudsonhawk

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2006, 09:55:29 AM »
I agree this game is a blast so far.  I've had to "grind" a few times at hard parts, but the difficulty ramps up in a natural way, and has yet to "ambush" me with an obscenely difficult boss, the big complaint people are having with FFIII.  

I'm really surprised that it's rated as low as it is - does it start to suck after a while or something?  I'm about 2 hours into it and so far it's one of the best DS games I've played, easily the best RPG.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2006, 09:59:29 AM »
I've played FFIII and the game is not as hard as some people make it.  Granted it isn't a cake walk like the Final Fantasy of today, people have to remember that it was a NES game.  The game is made easy if you use the job system right.  Certain bosses and areas are better handles with certain jobs.

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 10:25:12 AM »
Despite my reservations about how much I'd enjoy it (I'd actually intended to cancel my pre-order), I'm having a lot of fun with this so far. It has a good sense of humour, the graphics, while not exactly taxing the DS, are very pretty, and the combat isn't as random as I'd been lead to believe... you actually have a pretty decent level of control over what happens. I've only spent a couple of hours with it so far, but I'm glad I forgot to cancel that pre-order judging by what I've seen so far.
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2006, 10:28:33 AM »
Dang, maybe I will pick this one up after all...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2006, 12:43:42 PM »
Can anyone confirm the jab at Sony in Contact? I've only noticed a phrase the professor says occasionally on the top screen, "Try its weakness! Do we know its weakness?", so far...

"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2006, 12:48:37 PM »

Originally posted by: 31 Flavas
Can anyone confirm the jab at Sony in Contact? I've only noticed a phrase the professor says occasionally on the top screen, "Try its weakness! Do we know its weakness?", so far...
When you're about to retrieve the second power cell, you'll encounter a rock monster that seems to be powered by the cell.  The professor says "Try to hit its weakpoint for massive damage!"  It's kind of hard to miss, but maybe you just haven't gotten there yet.

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2006, 01:00:54 PM »

Originally posted by: 31 Flavas
There's a video here...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ae1o1ng2ytk

Shame about the moron doing a voiceover.
DVDs | Games

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 04:00:27 PM »
The environments look great, and I heard the audio is good, but is it once again Style over gameplay? Is the battle system fun, what can it be compared to? And the wifi capabilites, are they awesome, ( sorry for the questions, just want to know everthing about it before buying).
We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »

Originally posted by: please let me in, please
The environments look great, and I heard the audio is good, but is it once again Style over gameplay? Is the battle system fun, what can it be compared to?
The battle system is very nice in my opinion, if a little simplistic. I've never experienced anything quite like it myself, but I've heard other people saying it's similar to the battle system used in EverQuest. Basically you just press B to lock onto the nearest enemy, move Terry in close and he'll start attacking it automatically. If you press B again he'll disengage his lock on the enemy, but the enemy will likely carry on attacking you (and unless you run for your life, there's no way to dodge their attacks other than to hope they miss). You can use special techniques by pressing Y during combat, which will pause proceedings and give you a list of the techniques available to you. There's a bit of strategy involved in when to use them, as they're governed by a meter which allows a maximum of five to be used (which can be replenished by defeating enemies without using techniques). There are a few other things to consider in combat, but those are the basics of it.

Like I said, it's pretty simplistic compared to most RPG battle systems, but in my opinion it's fun to use and gets the job done nicely.
DVDs | Games

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2006, 05:12:49 PM »
Since the battle system is so simple, I can watch TV while just glancing occasionally at the DS to make sure I'm doing it right.  I go in and out of a room and smack a nearby enemy.  After only a couple TV shows, my karma's already up to Level 100!  o_0  (I'm only on the third island.)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2006, 07:10:31 PM »
I'm still iffy about the battle system, considering I like to have full control of my battles...Right now it just feels like I'm in a competition to see who can lose their life first...

It's still fun, I just wish they just went the Action/RPG Terranigma route...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2006, 04:20:13 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
Since the battle system is so simple, I can watch TV while just glancing occasionally at the DS to make sure I'm doing it right.  I go in and out of a room and smack a nearby enemy.  After only a couple TV shows, my karma's already up to Level 100!  o_0  (I'm only on the third island.)

do you have good karma or bad karma?  Because you can be both good or evil!

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2006, 11:01:49 AM »
I'm ok with the battle system.  It seems like a reasonable compromise - on the one hand you have Mana-style games where you tediously hack at everything, and on the other extreme you have menu-based games where you have to select "attack" on every single turn, over and over again.

This one you just let the main character fight the battle while you worry about helping him out, monitoring his health and (very very rarely) using stickers.

I do wish the stickers were plentiful enough that you could use them in every battle, it would have made it a lot more interesting.  

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2006, 02:04:03 PM »
see this is why i havent picked up Contact or Riviera, when i heard the battles were not really controlled by u at all it put me off.  If i find either of these games cheap like say $20 I'll probably get em but till then im saving my money.  Summon Night:  Swordcraft was also a hopeful game for me but i heard the game was super short and the 2nd game came out almost right after it.....strange.