Author Topic: 24...  (Read 8350 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« on: January 15, 2006, 04:32:55 PM »
Anyone else as addicted to this show as I am?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: 24...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 04:46:28 PM »
24 is televison Crack.  Jack Bauer is the greatest action hero ever and this season is shaping up to be another great day, well sorta. When they said the first 10minutes would shock you I was like blah blah blah, but when "that" happened I was like  "oh shat" I never saw that coming. I used to think I was addicted to Lost but now I remember what tv is all about, "24". Lost is still really good too.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 05:41:48 PM »
Leon S. Kennedy could take Jack Bauer.
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 05:28:24 AM »
I always hear 24's really good and I always try to get into it but I just never can.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 06:37:17 AM »
24 is one of my favourite shows on television right now (though I only watch like two shows so that doesn't mean much) and I eagerly look forward to two more hours of it tonight.

One thing though that one has to realize when first watching the show is that deep down it's really stupid.  There's lots of plot twists and surprises but if you actually sit and think about what is happening or what has happened in the last few "hours" you'll realize that the whole thing is ridiculously farfetched.  Plus there's all sorts of tacked on romance or "personal issues" that really have no place in an action show but it's so unintentionally hilarious it's worth it.  Keep that in mind and you'll enjoy it much more.

My family and I watch it partially because the twists are so entertaining and partially because sometimes the show is so silly it's hilarious.  24 is the ultimate "turn your brain off" show.  Sometimes I take it seriously and sometimes I spend the whole hour heckling it.  No matter what though it's lots of fun.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 06:41:40 AM »
Ian, you have a special gift.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 06:50:56 AM »
Ian: WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?  24 ISN'T REAL?  You'd better watch your mouth, or Jack is going to have to come after you.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 08:52:24 AM »
This, coming from the man who watches pro-wrestling.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• View Profile
RE:24...
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 10:51:36 AM »
Too bad Jack Shepherd could own Jack Bauer in a thumb war anyday.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Online Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 06:44:53 AM »
So far I'm enjoying how the storyline is going but I'm a little pissed about something that happened last night.

In Canada there's this stupid rule where if an American channel and a Canadian channel are both showing the same show at the same time that the cable company automatically shows the Canadian feed.  So I can be watching Fox and it will switch the feed to Global (Canadian network that plays 24).  It's rather annoying because the Canadian feed is sometimes horrible and we have no choice but to put up with it.

So yesterday I'm watching the first episode and it goes to commercial.  It comes back at 8:50 and the second episode starts up.  They just cut out the last 10 minutes of the first episode and there was no way for me to switch to a network that doesn't have their thumb up their butt to see it.  I had to figure out what happened in the "previously on 24" segment and there was MAJOR stuff that happened.  At some point they realized that they started the show ten minutes early and were thus ten minutes off their schedule.  So they "fixed it" but showing longer commercial breaks!  I swear five minutes went by of just commercials.  So I got stuck dealing with long commercials and ten minutes of the show cut out just because of some stupid nationalist BS that denies me the right to watch whatever channel I choose.

I guess the logic is that if there's an American alternative we won't watch the Canadian networks.  Well maybe the Canadian networks should show more than just the same stuff the American ones are.  Maybe if they had more unique programming they wouldn't have to worry about the American networks "stealing" the Canadian viewers away.  Maybe there shouldn't even be so many Canadian channels.  If a private company requires the government to make special laws to keep it afloat then it probably serves no purpose in the first place.  The American networks make their own shows to attract their audience or they act as a speciality channel that targets a specific audience.  If a Canadian network can't do the same thing they don't deserve to compete.  Fox earns my viewership by making 24.  A channel that just buys the Canadian rights to American shows and whose only unique content is the news doesn't earn my viewership.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 08:46:46 AM »
I watched all 4 hours in a row, and I just don't know how any one person can have such a busy day(5 times now) and keep it all togeher.  This show can really draw you in(if you let )

As for good shows on TV, MUST SEE TV also includes The Shield on FX(tuesday nights 10pm)
The Sheild is the Best Cop Drama/Action show, it saddens me that this might be the last season.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 01:06:25 PM »
Ian - I can understand how you would feel if the simulcast is messed up like it was yesterday, but you have to think about it logically. Since only the popular shows get simulcast, there are many people watching the show. As such, because of the division, many people will watch, say, FOX. And therefore, they would see American advertising - American products and services. Many of those aren't available in Canada, so how the hell are they supposed to reach their target audience? With the simulcast, only Canadian commercials get shown.

As well, Canadian channels pay to license the episodes, so obviously they want to get revenue back from it. With the audience split, the commercials won't reach all the people watching, and therefore they'll get paid less.

Also, maybe it's the shows I watch, but I've found these sorts of accidents to happen extremely rarely. In fact, I don't recall a messed up simulcast like this for a while..

And finally, I didn't think you'd be the type of person that would get so emotional about 10 minutes of TV which you could easily catch later. But, you know, who am I to say?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Online Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 02:06:35 PM »
I know that advertising is a big reason though it would be nice if they just changed the ads.  With a show like 24 the ad breaks are going to be in the same spot every time.

I guess what I'm questioning is why even have simulcasts.  Why can't the Candian networks fill prime time with their own content and compete with the American shows?  I really don't see the point in even having a network that relies so much on American content.  Somehow other stations fill up a schedule of their own programming so why can't Canadian ones do the same thing.  If there's not enough resources to go around then fine.  It's a business and it's competition so if any of them go broke tough luck.  There's no point in having four networks if there's only need for two anyway.  I think some people think that if Canadian networks competed their own shows against American shows that we would always pick the American shows.  It's like the theory about the Canadian content laws for the radio.  I think that attitude is pretty negative.  If America is so much better at creating entertainment then we should suck it up and make better stuff ourselves instead of supporting an inferiority complex and having the government "protect" us from the Americans who supposedly have an unfair advantage.

My whole beef started when there was supposed to be a preview for Star Wars Episode I during the commercial break for a show but it was only in the US and thus we didn't get to see it.  This was like the debut of the trailer.  Then once the 24 feed went to complete crap and they switched to FOX's feed.  At that point I realized that the American feed just smoked the Canadian one and it was unfair to be forced to watch an inferior one.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 05:59:43 PM »
Ian - I'm guessing downloading a hi-def capture from BT is against your principles?
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 09:23:25 PM »
when there was supposed to be a preview for Star Wars Episode I during the commercial break for a show but it was only in the US and thus we didn't get to see it.

That's what the Internet's for

Online Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 06:09:42 AM »
"I'm guessing downloading a hi-def capture from BT is against your principles?"

I'm sure I'll see the footage someday.  I'm more annoyed by the fact that I missed the cliffhanger.  Missing the footage denies me that surprise I would have had.  I already know what happens so the "thrill" isn't there.

"That's what the Internet's for"

I know.  Remember this was 1999.

I remember another time this happened.  Way back in grade 8 I missed the ending to the first part of the Simpsons' Who Shot Mr. Burns? episode because of the same issue.  There was a whole classroom of pissed off 13 year olds the next day.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 06:36:07 AM »
Ian, America makes the best TV in the world by far. The quality of it whoops any other country or market.

I do, however, TOTALLY agree about that stupid obnoxious furstrating piece of crap feed switch thing they do. Canada has some of the absolute worst TV laws in history. If an American station has the right to broadcast in Canada, then LET THEM. It's the one thing I miss about cable.

Not to mention the bass-ackwards election night rules they have! I HATE the tv control people in Canada. HATE THEM.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 12:44:43 PM »
Though this has little to do with anything you guys are talking about, Lost won the Golden Globe for best drama.

Watch more Lost.

On a similar note, Brokeback Mountain picked up around nine trillion Golden Globes and though I have not seen it, I would advise that anynone and everyone that has the slightest bit of masculinity in their bodies not see it.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 12:55:51 PM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
On a similar note, Brokeback Mountain picked up around nine trillion Golden Globes and though I have not seen it, I would advise that anynone and everyone that has the slightest bit of masculinity in their bodies not see it.

Right, because homosexuality and masculinity are mutually exclusive.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 01:09:12 PM »

Originally posted by: TMW

Right, because homosexuality and masculinity are mutually exclusive.

My point exactly.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Online Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 01:33:07 PM »
"Not to mention the bass-ackwards election night rules they have!"

What is that again?  I live in the Pacific time zone so by the time I get home from work results from the East are already coming in.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 02:01:20 PM »
Umm, Artimus, what election night TV rules? I know that in the last election (2004) they, for the first time, did not blackout election coverage for the western time zones. They used to do this so that no one would get influenced by the early results.

Is that the policy you're referring to? Because it's long gone; there are no such blackouts any more.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 01:11:34 PM »

Though this has little to do with anything you guys are talking about, Lost won the Golden Globe for best drama.

Watch more Lost.

This depresses me a little because Alias was once-upon-a-time really on top, then JJ Abrams started paying less attention and it's downfall became evident from the end of Season 3.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 02:20:19 PM »
Sean Astin's character is such a prick son-of-a-bitch. Smart though.  
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Online Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2006, 06:24:56 AM »
Yeah he's a prick but he doesn't quite seem to realize how much of a prick he is.  That's the worst.  It's so much easier to deal with someone who is intentionally a jerk.  Great character so far.  Every good action show needs that stuffed shirt type antagonist to get in the way.  That fact that he actually is right makes him even better.  No one likes a jerk who is also smarter than you.