Author Topic: Controller and online implications  (Read 3365 times)

Offline zakkiel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Controller and online implications
« on: September 16, 2005, 01:12:23 PM »
I had a debate here with someone - I forget who - who was advocating the "long tail." I expressed all kinds of reservations then. This controller has changed my mind. It makes low-budget 3d games viable because they can offer truly unique gameplay. Like that fishing game suggested in the video. I could see that being made pretty damn cheap, selling solely online at $15 and still making a profit. We're all so focused on what this will do with regular genres and how it will spawn massive new titles that I think we're overlooking the boon it will provide to little developers. Thoughts?
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: Controller and online implications
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 01:39:35 PM »
You know what would be cool? If Nintendo officially sanctioned home brewing.

Imagine if Nintendo released a relatively simple rev-game programming tool that would allow anyone to make games utilising the revolutionary controller. And then imagine if Nintendo launched a newgrounds-like portal where people could post their games for free. Could be huge.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 02:00:13 PM »
Oh man, if Nintendo doesn't screw this up, little devs could swarm to the Rev in droves.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:Controller and online implications
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 07:25:52 PM »

Oh man, if Nintendo doesn't screw this up, little devs could swarm to the Rev in droves.

And it'll be like the Snes days all over again...domination as the competitors cut prices frantically, and Nintendo cools their collective heels, smoking a big fat collective cigar.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 08:03:52 PM »
The prelude to the complacency that dropped them down to third. And the cycle will continue anew!
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 10:10:55 PM »
You say "complacency" I say "stubborness"
-----------------------------------------------------

You say "potayto" and I say "potayto"

You say "tomayto" and I say "tomayto"

Potayto, potayto, tomayto, tomayto....no no wait Chris! It's "potahto" and "tomahto"

"Potahto?" Okay I'll give it as shot.

You say "potahto" and I say "potahto"

You say "tomahto" and I say "tomahto"

Potahto, potahto, tomahto, tomahto....NO! Chris you're supposed to switch back and forth!

But Jimmy! They're spelled the same on the cards!

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 10:47:15 PM »
Hmmm, PGC seems to have fed that old thread to the bit bucket.

Here is the Wired article that started it all. The short of it: successful online businesses take full advantage of what the net and computers offer to make money where brick and mortar businesses cannot: effectively infinite "shelf space," nearly free reproduction and distribution, search technology driven by user recommendations and other data gathered from users to help users sort through it all. If Nintendo really leverages its past library and encourages indie devs to also use an online distribution channel, they should be able to take advantage of "the long tail" and dominate the world!

And thanks, zakkiel. I doubt that I would have had the stand-up-ness to post an about face like you have.

BG

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 11:11:20 PM »

Originally posted by: zakkiel
Like that fishing game suggested in the video. I could see that being made pretty damn cheap, selling solely online at $15 and still making a profit.

$15 seems kind of expensive, especially if consumers aren't even going to get a box or instruction manual. =p

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 12:12:25 AM »
The Rev is going to be a "virtual console", able to play NES, SNES, N64, and GCN games.  The Rev will also be online and have a market place setup.  With the option of utilizing any of 5 different platforms small developers or people making home-brew games are in for a treat.  Aren't there quite a few people/groups that have already made games for NES and SNES played on emulators?  Regardless of the platform they make the game for there is still a chance that you'll be able to use the Rev. controller to open up new gameplay options.  This, and the fact that Nintendo keeps saying they want to do their best to help the people with the big ideas but the little budgets I have a good fealing about this.  

I do some 3d modeling and animation and my dream is that at some point there will be a robust community online contributing to making games and I can add my own works to it!  Imagine PGC getting a group of people together to make a simple (or even not simple) game using tools that Nintendo has made readily available.

One more little tidbit.  Imagine if it is possible to have a home-brew game easily uploaded to the net where all Rev. owners can download the unfinished game and help test it out and give instant feedback to the creators.

I don't know if this will happen the coming generation but this is the future and will happen eventually.

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 05:16:08 AM »
What Nintendo should do is find those people who were making  the 2D OoT and 2D Metroid Prime and have them release those for download, they would probably make a killing.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 05:58:25 AM »
yes online games would be cool using the motion sensor
fishing would be nice, having hundreds of different fishing holes, with different kinds of fish and fishing touraments using the "nun-chuck" control, using the motion to move the rod and the stick for the tension

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 06:07:12 AM »
another interesting thing..this is such a revolutionary input..i imagine it could be used by real devlopers for making games even
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 07:05:45 AM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
another interesting thing..this is such a revolutionary input..i imagine it could be used by real devlopers for making games even

You, my friend, are a genious!