Author Topic: Is it possible for humidity to mess with analog sticks?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Is it possible for humidity to mess with analog sticks?
« on: March 29, 2005, 02:11:25 PM »
Well, so far three cube controllers have died on me. I know it's not just the cube because all my other systems had their sticks get 'loose' after a few years. I currently have them in a renovated basement, connected to an unrenovated back room that gets a lot of moisture from rain and such. There's a dehumidifier back there but it really flubs up in the winter. Think that moisture can do something to the analog sticks? Here's the status of the broken controllers:

Controller 1 (official Nintendo wired): Control stick had a messed up vertical axis. It will go up and down halfway without registering. When it's pushed all the way, it registers as only going half way. Otherwise fine.

Controller 2 (official Nintendo wired): C-Stick always goes left (or right, I forget which way). Otherwise fine.

Controller 3 (Wavebird): Cracked it open. The little metal lines on the circuit board by the on/off switch are gone. Looks like water damage. Doesn't turn on. Would work otherwise.

Please assist.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Is it possible for humidity to mess with analog sticks?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »
Wow - THREE Nintendo controllers breaking down like that? I think it definitely has to do with something at your house - probably the humidity.  You know what you should do - after playing each time, roll up the controllers and put them away into a dry, airtight box until you use them next time
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
RE: Is it possible for humidity to mess with analog sticks?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 03:28:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the reason my N64 controllers got so messed up was because I lived in humid Florida.  If your basement is that bad, get them out of there.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 06:41:21 AM »
It could also be abuse dished out by your friends while playing Super Smash Bros Melee.  I've lost three controllers to that problem.  Two died from B-button abuse, one from the C-Stick.  However, after two years of constant use, my Wavebird (which no one but me uses) works like new.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 08:29:13 AM »
I've lost one and my friend lost one.  My friend lost it by accidentally kicking it across the room, though.  And mine doesn't work for 3D games, but I played through Fire Emblem on the GBP entirely before realizing it was broken (the joystick leans).
I live in Louisiana, which is extremely humid, but my controllers seem to function fine.  Of course, they're always inside in an air coniditioned house, so that's probably a factor
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline 09n

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 08:31:34 AM »
Three??? I've still got the one it came with.Even after four years of button bashing action. Maybe im just lucky. But seriously you should do something about this. Maybe move upstairs? Also why do you need a dehumidifier in winter? In winter it isnt humid.
No, we're not eating Nibbler - leela
I'll fire up the grill - Bender

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 08:51:30 AM »

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 08:52:34 AM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
It could also be abuse dished out by your friends while playing Super Smash Bros Melee.  I've lost three controllers to that problem.  Two died from B-button abuse, one from the C-Stick.  However, after two years of constant use, my Wavebird (which no one but me uses) works like new.

Wow - I must be really lucky. After four years of CONSTANT SSBM and Mario Party (button mashing) games - the only thing wrong with my four controllers is that the buttons occasionally get stuck, but you blow into them (note the unintentional innuendo Bloodworth) and they are back to normal.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 10:10:19 AM »
Winter can be humid, it depends where you live.  Louisiana winters are colder than they should be because the high humidity cools everything down even more.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 10:56:46 AM »

Wow - I must be really lucky. After four years of CONSTANT SSBM and Mario Party (button mashing) games - the only thing wrong with my four controllers is that the buttons occasionally get stuck, but you blow into them (note the unintentional innuendo Bloodworth) and they are back to normal.
I need new friends.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 12:47:28 PM »
Representin' Louisiana, Hostile!  
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 03:29:17 PM »
Wow, thanks for the responses, guys! I think I'll try IceCold's box-idea.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.