Author Topic: Cinemas- Yay or Nay  (Read 4848 times)

Offline AennilQ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Cinemas- Yay or Nay
« on: March 25, 2005, 05:18:54 PM »
Is it just me, or am I the only one of my friends that likes to watch movies in games. I enjoy the cinematic experience, and the storytelling. I am the only person like that that I have met. Watching my friend repeatedly press A for the entire Wind Waker opening movie is pretty annoying. Am I alone?
Yeh its me. Dont get all excited.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Cinemas- Yay or Nay
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 10:23:41 PM »
I like movies as rewards, e.g. you made it through a level, here's the next bit of the story. Long introduction movies get on my nerves, though. And all movies have to be skippable, of course. When you die and have to watch ten minutes of movies again that IS annoying.

Offline 09n

• View Profile
RE:Cinemas- Yay or Nay
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »
I personally love cinematics. How ever my freind reads what is being said and stops the characters half way thruogh a sentance which kinda bugs me. I if I could would watch good quality cinematics all the time. But they have to be good graphics otherwise just go watch tv. Its less energetic.
No, we're not eating Nibbler - leela
I'll fire up the grill - Bender

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 04:20:33 AM »
This post brings up memories of the first Spider-Man movie game.  I got pissed off so many times because there is always a cutscene at the beginning of a level or a boss fight.  If you die, then you have wait for the movie to load again until you can SKIP it.  This is especially annoying if you lose to a boss and have to repeat the process over and over again.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 06:24:40 AM »
The cinemas are great. They're just not necessary.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 07:40:15 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I like movies as rewards, e.g. you made it through a level, here's the next bit of the story. Long introduction movies get on my nerves, though. And all movies have to be skippable, of course. When you die and have to watch ten minutes of movies again that IS annoying.

I'm the same way with intro movies.  When I start up a new game, I just wanna start playing.  I don't want to sit through a long movie telling me a story I don't even care about yet.  I remember when I rented Conker's Bad Fur Day, that intro movie annoyed the hell out of me.  Give me a small tutorial level or something before you give me a 10-minute movie I can't skip.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 10:37:30 AM »
I like my cutscenes short and sweet...If they can't be done in a few minutes they shouldn't be done at all...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 11:20:06 AM »
Cinemas, yay!  As long as you can skip them.  I'm also somewhat with Bill on the length issue, I like a longer cinema at the end of a game, but during the game, I prefer if they're kept in, like, the five minute range.

Interactive cinemas are something I like to see, too.  The first time I remember seeing something like that was in the ending to Battletoads: Battlemaniacs on the Super NES.  They stuck a mini-game halfway through the ending which determined whether you got the good or bad ending.  Kind of fun.  Resident Evil 4 does similar stuff in a lot of it's cinemas, which I think is cool.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline cloudstrife111

• doesn't get what's so funny
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 02:13:40 PM »
i think finalf antasy 7 has the best cinymas coz it relly made the game fun coz u play it and itd makE YOU FEEL LIKE U HAD DONE SUMTHING GOOD

WHAT DO U GUYS THINK?
I HATED HOw in zelda wind wker the cinymas were not using video it was boring and i didnt play it
-- i have new games fot gam,ecube they are gta4 and the amazing isl;and

ihave soem games for my ningc there are burnout the sonic 2 mario dark rain gran tusrismo (i love the cars in this!!!!!0 and gta 3 : i am looking ford to burn

Offline AgentSeven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 04:04:48 PM »
LOL cloud i have all the Final Fantasy's on a special disc I can sell it to you if you give me your address.
"I am not a number, I am a free man"    "$ony=Atari Circa 1984"

Got a Defective ps2?  Go here: http://www.sheller.com/sonyPS2classaction.html

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 04:14:48 PM »
Final Fantasy is for goons, get yourself a copy of Monkey Island

roll out

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 04:20:25 PM »
One thing I hate about cinematics in games is the when they show your character doing things that you can't actually do.
MGS:TTS comes to mind - as its the only game I have with extensive cinematics:
- doing backflips in slow motion while jumping onto a ballistic missile which deflects it back at the shooter.....
- kicking a gun up from the ground and spinnning around and shooting
- dodging sword swipes and gun shots matrix style
You can't do ANY of those in the game!!! ONLY IN THE CINEMATICS!!

I do love cinematics in games though, so long as they are necessary to the story and aren't there just for the sake of having them, which a lot of developers do.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline cloudstrife111

• doesn't get what's so funny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 04:26:10 PM »

Originally posted by: AgentSeven
LOL cloud i have all the Final Fantasy's on a special disc I can sell it to you if you give me your address.

i donot understand agentsaven????? wear did u get special dic is it on psx????? do u hav pm
does ff7 looks good on spiecial

-- i have new games fot gam,ecube they are gta4 and the amazing isl;and

ihave soem games for my ningc there are burnout the sonic 2 mario dark rain gran tusrismo (i love the cars in this!!!!!0 and gta 3 : i am looking ford to burn

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 04:28:41 PM »
What did I tell you?  now i'm out of gin, usk >=(

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
Hey cloud, you can post your address here if you want that FFVII disc. ITs totally safe.....no one's gonna send you stupid mail for lol or anything.
You can totally trust us.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence