Author Topic: Sega Acquires The Creative Assembly  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Sega Acquires The Creative Assembly
« on: March 10, 2005, 05:22:59 AM »
Sega of Europe buys developer of the acclaimed Total War series.

SEGA Purchases UK Development Giant The Creative Assembly; Creators of Total War to Bring SEGA Technology and Western Content

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 9, 2005--SEGA of America, Inc. today confirms that SEGA Europe Ltd has acquired The Creative Assembly, the hugely successful UK and Australian-based development team founded by Tim Ansell in 1997. The Creative Assembly team has produced a catalogue of hits, most notably the award winning Total War franchise.

This agreement to purchase CA - a unique group of talented developers with an award-winning, global reputation - represents SEGA's first acquisition since it became a third-party software publisher. SEGA of America plans to publish the CA-developed Spartan: Total Warrior this year and work in hand with SEGA Europe to support the studio in the development of the Total War franchise in addition to ambitious new ventures and next-generation technologies.  

"This acquisition is direct evidence of SEGA delivering on its strategic objective to strengthen our emphasis on the western market," said Naoya Tsurumi, CEO of SEGA of America and SEGA Europe, Ltd. "As our first developer acquisition in the west since we became a third party publisher, it clearly demonstrates that we have set our sights on working with the very best talent in the industry."  

"Acquiring such a well respected and talented company as The Creative Assembly is a huge boost to SEGA, we are thrilled to be working with a development team renowned for its quality and highly commercial products," said Mike Hayes, President & COO of SEGA Europe. "This acquisition underscores our plans to focus on continued growth of development in Europe. We are selectively building a portfolio of triple A titles to fulfill our objective of becoming a world-wide leading force within the gaming industry."  

"We are delighted to have signed with SEGA, a company which we quickly realised shared our creative vision and appreciated our ambition to not only enhance stability but also position ourselves for future growth as a developer," said Tim Ansell, Founder and Managing Director of The Creative Assembly. "SEGA has an extremely impressive plan which will take shape throughout the coming years, and this is something which we were very eager to be a part of."  

The first CA title to be released as a result of the acquisition will be Spartan: Total Warrior. This epic action game brings the battlefield to life in tremendous scale, offering up vivid combat effects, explosions, blazing flames and destructible buildings. Spartan: Total Warrior for Sony PlayStation®2, Microsoft Xbox™ and Nintendo GameCube™ is slated for release in September 2005.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Sega Acquires The Creative Assembly
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 06:03:17 AM »
Woah, woah, woah!  A third-party game that isn't based on some popular TV or movie liscence coming to GameCube?  Colour me interested!  I don't really know anything about this developer, but the game sounds like it could be good... though I'm not a big fan of war simulations.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Sega Acquires The Creative Assembly
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 07:52:37 AM »
hmm...so this is why Shadow has a gun now?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Sega Acquires The Creative Assembly
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 08:24:59 AM »
Ahahahahaha, going from "Total War" to "Total Warrior"... WTF? Total War was one of the most acclaimed RTS series, Total Warrior sounds like some PoP-scale stupid idea.

Offline 09n

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Sega Acquires The Creative Assembly
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 08:43:04 AM »
Stuff the new game. I'm scared that Total War will change its orientation completely. Owning all of the total war games and eagily awaiting another I will be devestated if it all chandes. If this happens I vow to go on a killing spree and kill at least 20 people from each country before being caught. That is after gaining diplamatic immunity somehow does the education secutory have that? Ah hell!
No, we're not eating Nibbler - leela
I'll fire up the grill - Bender