Author Topic: Interesting story from a class.  (Read 1658 times)

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Interesting story from a class.
« on: February 20, 2005, 01:43:51 PM »
I'm taking a business class and have an online component, which is basically a glorified message board. The topic was about small business. I aknowleged that the example I was going to give was faulty and used Nintendo in the 80's how a company can enter a nitch market that no other corportation will wanted to enter because of it size and expaned the size of the market.

One of the student attacked my reasoning saying that their are many consoles now out there that don't make it, and Gamecube is Nintendo's last chance.

Since this is for class I had to compose myself since I don't really like being attacked for my perfectly good reasoning (The professor made a comment on how it was good.) with what can be construed as a fanboy remark since I think he was chocking it up because its class also. So I prepared a response that would bring a tear to an eye of any business teachers in my remarks. I used full use of the vocabulary and compared markets conditions now to then. And how now the market is basically an oligopoly (Think car industry few companies making one type of product.) and that start up now is huge that even Microsoft found that out.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Interesting story from a class.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 02:05:12 PM »
Mayhaps you'd like to share with us what you wrote?
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 02:22:49 PM »
I'll pull it up. I have been up all night so I will correct some of the mistakes I made before hand. Since I'm dropping words.  (Oh I forgot about the size of the disc thing he brought up..)

As I said the example was faulty. As for the Gamecube being their last chance isn't true, Nintendo is still the most profitable of the three major corporations involved in the market. And as for the other amenities of the other systems, it did the job this generation because DVDs were an emerging technology.

But that wasn't the point of my post; the point was that it a small business can break open a market. The reason why the smaller companies now cant get in, is the video game market it now an oligopoly and it costs a lot to enter the market. Microsoft found that out, they still haven't made up the money they have invested into the Xbox. (R&D, software procurement, Xbox live setup, developer buyouts, advertising, promotions, and the market model that you lose money on every console before you add in the free games.)

If you want to talk more about this contact me via email.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 04:28:19 PM »
Sounds good to me.  I used to take business classes.  I would bring up the term that is used to call an indutstry when i is expensive to enter because of these similar conditions.  I can't remember it for the life of me, "barrier of entry"   maybe?

I'd like to know of one of the consoles he thinks is out now but didn't make it.  There are some very small marketshare handhelds, but no consoles.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 06:10:53 AM »
I wanted to use that, but as I said I was extremely tired when I wrote the comment.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.