Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Coming to Switch, New Character Revealed  (Read 5920 times)

Offline JusDBerube

• King Nintendo Fanboy
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Super Smash Bros. Coming to Switch, New Character Revealed
« on: March 08, 2018, 09:40:19 AM »

This game is going to make a big splat.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/46652/super-smash-bros-coming-to-switch-new-character-revealed

Super Smash Bros. will be coming to Nintendo Switch in 2018. Inklings, both a boy and a girl, were shown to be new playable characters in the short teaser video during today's Nintendo Direct presentation. Also worth noting is that the version of Link briefly shown looked like the version from Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. Coming to Switch, New Character Revealed
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »
New game or port, just give this to me. Inject it right into my veins.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
Another great Smash trailer, it's the perfect length for a teaser and the sound design is amazing. Smash is a master at hyping up it's fan base.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:44:45 PM »
Expected/10

Offline InvaderREN

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 07:38:37 PM »
Yeah, tinkered Smash 4 engine, or.. Whole new game?  Gotta be the Smash 4 engine tuned up right?  I mean, it's coming out this year.. how the hell...  can that be a new game...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 08:40:46 PM »
Don't let forum members try to sway you, kids! This is going to be an updated version of Smash 4, because that game's competitive community is a hot mess and needs a good re-balancing!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
Yeah, tinkered Smash 4 engine, or.. Whole new game?  Gotta be the Smash 4 engine tuned up right?  I mean, it's coming out this year.. how the hell...  can that be a new game...
It should be noted that there's no precedent in the series for either a new game based on the previous game's engine or an enhanced port so your guess is as good as any. At the same time, Iwata admitted he would have had Melee ported with online added if Sakurai turned down directing a sequel on Wii so pour one on the curb for the poor fans living in that parallel universe.

Ultimately, I still don't know why it matters. The most important bit is that we're finally getting the series on Switch. If Sakurai really wants to blow everyone's mind, he'll add Melee Mode then laugh maniacally as the tournament scene tears itself apart.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »
Smash games take so long to make, I don't see a scenario where this game gets made from the ground up in such a short turnaround. I think leaning heavy on the Inklings was deliberate in order to reassure people that there's going to be new content added with this port.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 09:14:40 PM »
Seriously, though, the previous statement about Smash 4's community puts me into a logical conundrum. On one hand, I could see this Smash being an enhanced port if only because Smash 4's competitive scene is still evolving and needs certain characters to be addressed if it intends to survive. On the other, wiping the slate clean with a new game would allow them to do a pretty extreme balance check and add some new mechanics atop that. But creating a new game means new art assets for a roster of 58 damn characters, as well as whatever new characters are added atop that. Seeing as Smash 4 added an absolutely monstrous amount of characters, I feel it would be much more reasonable for people to reel in their expectations regarding the roster for this game- it will likely have some much-needed fine-tuning of older characters and only a handful of new additions.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 09:16:21 PM »
Also I think the Inkling's moveset will totally be based on an existing character.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 09:18:19 PM »
What an awesome way to finish the Nintendo Direct! This is probably my most anticipated Switch game of the year now (at least until we learn more about Fire Emblem Switch).

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 12:29:47 AM »
Smash games take so long to make, I don't see a scenario where this game gets made from the ground up in such a short turnaround. I think leaning heavy on the Inklings was deliberate in order to reassure people that there's going to be new content added with this port.

Only they don't.  There was a huge gap between Melee and Brawl but the actual development of Brawl was from October 2005 until the end of December 2007, so a little over 2 years.  Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U was the same thing.  The development didn't begin until Summer of 2012 and the 3DS version was done by August of 2014, with the Wii U done in October.  So even making 2 versions for 2 different systems, each with their own unique content it still took less then 2.5 years to complete.

I understand some of you keeping your expectations in check, but to say they wouldn't have had enough time to make a new one is just plain false when the last few Smash Bros were made in 2 year development cycles as well.  The final DLC for the last Smash was released in Febuary of 2016, which has been over 2 years now.  Even if they didn't start development right away, they could have still waited until the end of 2016 and if this game doesn't come out until this Fall, that would still give it a development time very similar to what the last 2 Smash Bros had.

Now I imagine they're reusing the Wii U engine for quicker development so for people who want the game to have a completely different artstyle like Brawl and 3DS/Wii U did will end up disappointed.  But content wise, it's very possible we could be looking at a lot of new stuff.  I expect at least a dozen new characters, all the active franchises getting a new stage based of their most recent games, a few new modes and I could even see the return of an Adventure mode.  Plus Classic will be revamp again and we'll get a new set of 50+ Event matches, and a new Challange Wall that's completely unique from the one in Wii U.  Everything I said is easily doable, especially if reusing the Wii U engine in a 2 year timespan and would certainly be enough to be considered a new game over an enhance port.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 12:35:22 AM »
It should be noted that there's no precedent in the series for either a new game based on the previous game's engine or an enhanced port so your guess is as good as any. At the same time, Iwata admitted he would have had Melee ported with online added if Sakurai turned down directing a sequel on Wii so pour one on the curb for the poor fans living in that parallel universe.

Considering Melee is still getting played at tournaments, the online port of the game might actually be really popular in that parallel universe and taken over the world. Iwata may be looking like an even bigger genius along with the sales success of the Wii and DS in that universe. Ain't gonna feel too bad for them.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 12:53:48 AM »
"I see you....

There are no scrubs in the void.

Only... Smash."

That teaser was magic and fire.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 12:55:29 AM »
Shhh.

It's okay to be wrong, Luigi Dude. :)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 01:55:17 AM »
Luigi Dude is right on in every aspect. This is a new game.

Sakurai announced very early after Bayonetta released that the next project was decided. Here it is. Listen to that new song when the Smash cast shows itself. Look at that logo, while similar to the Smash 3DU one, it is different. Link gets a breath of the wild look and here are the Inklings. All the dates listed with the copy right info for all the enhanced ports for switch show the original release year, not this game.

If it was an enhanced port they would have showed us a ton of stuff like all the old DLC included like they always do with all the enhanced ports. This is a new game so rejoice and be merry!

I guarantee you the the art style will evolve with new models and everything but I am certain this game was built off of the last games engine. UNLIKE Splatoon 2 which was actually built from the ground up but no one seems to know that.

RIDLEY - DIXIE - RIDLEY - DIXIE - RIDLEY - DIXIE!

It's time!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 02:18:23 AM »
Shhh.

It’s okay to be wrong, Caterkiller. :)

Especially about playable characters. :D

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 02:23:46 AM »
People are overstating the "same engine" concept. It can use the same core engine and be an entirely new experience. The question is the included content of the game. If they spent all the time just adding/balancing/retooling the roster and building new levels and game modes it could feel like an entirely new game even if the core engine is the same.

I'm hoping it refreshes some of the older characters. Mario, Link, and Luigi could use some new movesets more relevant to their recent titles. They could even be clever about it. Dr Mario/Young Link could retain the bulk of the "classic smash" Mario/Link and allow the primary character slots be filled with a new Mario and Link that incorporate mechanics from Odyssey and BotW (or go the Game & Watch direction and make an 8-bit Mario/Link for the classic moves).

Luigi should really get some heavy Poltergust action added to his moveset, what with the new 3DS game on the horizon.

Ganondorf should really be remade from the ground up; give him a sword or some magic attacks.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 08:44:00 AM »
Considering Melee is still getting played at tournaments, the online port of the game might actually be really popular in that parallel universe and taken over the world. Iwata may be looking like an even bigger genius along with the sales success of the Wii and DS in that universe. Ain't gonna feel too bad for them.
Tournament players are a relatively small subset of the overall fanbase though Nintendo has been paying them more attention probably for the marketing potential. Melee Online may have been popular, but I wouldn’t want to live in a universe without a true follow up. We finally got third party characters with Snake and Sonic. Earth 2 gets what, laggy bullshit Nintendo WiFi added to an unbalanced, rushed game. No one wants that. How can you be so heartless, Linkle Link?
Sakurai announced very early after Bayonetta released that the next project was decided. Here it is.
If you want to believe that, you also have to believe that Sakurai, who resigned from a company he spent nearly a decade and a half with then stated, “It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming,” and “Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally,” on record, decided to make a sequel immediately after completing a sequel. Not saying it’s impossible, just less likely.

No offense, but the rest of what you (and Luigi Dude) are saying is straight up confirmation bias. Maybe it happens? I don’t know or care, really. I’m still not sure why any of this matters. A lot of digital ink is being split over something so inconsequential. Would you not buy the game if it’s an enhanced port? I have a hard time believing anyone would because Lord Sakurai didn’t bless us with a new game.

Enough of that though. Maybe this doesn’t matter to other people, but one thing I really want from this game is a simpler interface. The menus in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS are a colossal mess. Training is buried under 37 submenus.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:55:31 AM by Adrock »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 08:56:19 AM »
Nintendo's been holding their cards close to their vest, so I think it's fair to say maybe we don't really know how long this Smash Bros has been in development.  Which is why I'm inclined to believe the speculation that it's in fact a brand-new game. 

Not only that, but think about all the hype generation they miss-out on if it's a deluxe version like MarioKart 8 was.  You mean they're going to skip-out on the drip-feed of stage and character announcements that worked so well the last few times?

Once I saw the inklings at the start of it, I knew it was Smash Bros., if only because they had spent so much time before that on Splatoon 2, and it didn't seem like a Nintendo thing to do to say "oh, one more thing", only to be more follow-up info on the same game.

Put me in camp new game, and I'm a firm believer it'll be 2018. They need something to hang their hat on for the online service they supposedly plan on still charging for this year.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 09:29:26 AM »
I'm a firm believer it'll be 2018.
You are in luck because 2018 was confirmed in the trailer. I guess it could always get delayed. Then again, it would be odd to announce a game on the same year it releases only to kick the can down the road.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 09:32:13 AM »
I'm a firm believer it'll be 2018.
You are in luck because 2018 was confirmed in the trailer. I guess it could always get delayed. Then again, it would be odd to announce a game on the same year it releases only to kick the can down the road.

Yeah, to clarify, I think that's a firm date.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »
I think it'll be 2018 no matter what, and they may take the Splatoon approach where the game launches with less content and they trickle out more characters and stages in updates at no extra cost.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »
I was super excited at the reveal, but the "2018" scares me.  Yet another port being sold at full price is the last thing we need.  I would guess that it will be inbetween, like a sports game revision -- marketed as a new game with a new name, but the framework will be from the previous game and not have a significantly reworked battle system.  Just a guess.

Apart from the obvious Inklings and Arms characters, I hope they add some more wacky characters as well.  It would be funny to have anthropomorphized versions of all the Nintendo consoles and handhelds.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 03:09:35 PM »
My guess is this will be a case like Splatoon 2, where it shares a lot with the Wii U predecessor but adds on enough that it's unfair to call it a port.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent