Author Topic: Wii U eshop games are getting delisted left and right! Recommend stuff here,  (Read 14106 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Apparently Nintendo is not renewing Wii U developer licenses and when your license expires your game gets delisted. Despite it's troubled lifecycle, the Wii U has a suite of hidden gems on the eshop still available. Alot of these games are on other platforms but there are still plenty of games that are either exclusive to (at least for Nintendo audiences) or an many cases best enjoyed on the Wii U.

I'm going to start with a game called 6180: The Moon which uses the gamepad to extend the playfield in a really interesting way. The trailer doesn't exactly convey the strange yet exhilarating feel you get out of playing the game but I'm still going to post it here.

for BnM

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
The most obvious example of this would be Affordable Space Adventures, which uses Gamepad controls in a very novel way. Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails can be played on other systems, but I fell in love with it on Wii U.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
I thought for sure you'd be recommending Paper Mario: Color Splash....  :o
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
I bought more stuff from the Wii U eShop than I probably should have. If asked what was worth owning from that list, my top picks (not necessarily obscure) would be:

* Affordable Space Adventures
* Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
* Freedom Planet
* Human Resource Machine
* Runbow
* Stealth Inc 2
* Stick it to the Man
* Toki Tori 2
* XType Plus

Plus all the SteamWorld and Shantea games.
NNID: ejamer

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Here are my suggestions:
  • Nano Assault Neo - I prefer the 3DS version but recommend getting it on both systems
  • Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - There was no physical version on the US so this is the only way to go
  • Devil's Third - This will not likely get re-released and the digital version is much cheaper than the disc
  • Runner 2 - Not the full title but you know what I am referring to
  • Pushmo World - Great use of the gamepad
  • Ducktales Remastered - Wait this may already be gone. If so then track down the disc version
  • DS Virtual Console - There is a ton of great ones but I recommend the two Zelda games
  • N64 Virtual Console - Where else are you going to get Donkey Kong 64
  • Wii Virtual Console - I recommend the Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • TurboGrafx16 Virtual Console - Anything not on the TurboGrafx mini
  • Axiom Verge - The Gamepad provides a great second screen here.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
  • Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - There was no physical version on the US so this is the only way to go

I'm still salty at Nintendo of America for how they handled this series. Great Wii entries, and a decent Wii U title... and North America got shafted in all three cases. Pretty disappointing.

That said, thanks for bringing up PushMo World. The 3DS titles were pretty great; should add that one to my "please buy" list.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
How does the Wii version of Mario 64 play? My copy is on 'forever loan' to an old friend in a different state and I don't imagine I'll be getting it back. I've been holding out on a remake/remaster (that included the DS version content) but I'm about ready to give up and either re-buy the original cart or get it on the eShop. The rumors have me holding out through the end of the year, but I'll definitely be grabbing it early 2021 if the rumors don't pan out.

~By "run" I mostly mean how does it control? Do the analog inputs transfer over well enough? Not AS worried about frame rate since I don't have high expectations for an N64 game.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:46:01 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
If you're doing it on the Wii U than the DS version is probably a safer bet. It feels fairly authentic with an analog stick and it doesn't have the n64 dark filter.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I didn't realize the DS version was on the Wii U eShop. That would be the best case scenario purchase if the analog controls are restored.

Or I could try that reverse engineered Mario 64 PC mod with 60fps, 4k, and upgraded textures...
My Game Collection

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
I wonder if Nintendo-published ones like Dr. Luigi, Star Fox Guard, Pushmo World and Mario Vs. DK: Tipping Stars will ever move to a different platform, or stay exclUsive. I guess the Mario vs. DK one was on 3DS too.

Here are my suggestions:
  • TurboGrafx16 Virtual Console - Anything not on the TurboGrafx mini

Back in the TG-16 mini topic I made a list of these. Here's everything on the eShop, but not on the Mini:
-Battle Chopper
-Battle Lode Runner
-Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure
-Break In
-Detana!! TwinBee
-Devil's Crush
-Digital Champ: Battle Boxing
-Double Dungeons
-Final Soldier
-Image Fight
-Image Fight II
-Legend of Hero Tonma
-Shockman
-Vigilante
-World Sports Competition

I've not played most of these, but Bonk 3 is ludicrously expensive on HuCard/CD so probably worth getting. Final Soldier and the ImageFight games are decent shooters, but if you already have the Mini I don't know if it adds much to have them.
Break In is a snooker/pool thing, think Side Pocket, and Devil's Crush is the demonic pinball sequel to Alien Crush. Don't get Battle Chopper, it's really difficult. Shockman is a weird Mega Man/Gradius type thing with alternating shooting and run&gun levels. Looks incredibly difficult too.

Here are my suggestions:
  • Axiom Verge - The Gamepad provides a great second screen here.
Real bummer the system didn't get many more Metroid/Vania titles to use this feature. I can only think of Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, Forma.8, The Swapper, and I think the Shantae games?
There must be more, but I can't think of them.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
... Bonk 3 is ludicrously expensive on HuCard/CD so probably worth getting.  ...

Although worth getting for Bonk fans or people interested in retro games, I'd argue that Bonk gameplay hit it's zenith in Bonk 2.  Things get exceedingly weird in 3, perhaps a bit too far.

(Still a fine game and worth trying, and others might feel differently.)

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
I cant access the Wii U (or 3DS) eShop anymore. My NNID was one of the many that were hacked earlier this year. The password has been changed and I cant reset it. Nintendo Australia's call centre is closed and they weren't helpful over email.

There are still games on the eShop I want to buy, so I hope I can get it fixed eventually.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Oh wow, so 3DS stuff must be getting delisted in the same way.

Runbow Pocket can't be purchased any longer, which is a bit of a bummer (was thinking about picking it up this week).  Oh well. Buying physical isn't that expensive and would mean I could share it between different systems instead of having it locked on one. (With kids who have their own consoles, this is useful.)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
Oh wow, so 3DS stuff must be getting delisted in the same way.

Runbow Pocket can't be purchased any longer, which is a bit of a bummer (was thinking about picking it up this week).  Oh well. Buying physical isn't that expensive and would mean I could share it between different systems instead of having it locked on one. (With kids who have their own consoles, this is useful.)

Hmmm are you sure? It says it's still available on Nintendo's website. Did you try on a regular 3DS/2DS? It's worth noting that Runbow Pocket is exclusive to New Nintendo 2DS/3DS devices, just like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Fire Emblem Warriors are.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Tried on a New Nintendo 3DS system. Yes, I'm sure. Searched multiple ways. This would be a fairly new development, because it was recently (maybe a month ago) available and on sale.

Nintendo's website says the game is available, but I think that's only for the physical version - note there is no option to buy a digital copy online like other games have. Check the Minecraft listing as an example.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
Tried on a New Nintendo 3DS system. Yes, I'm sure. Searched multiple ways. This would be a fairly new development, because it was recently (maybe a month ago) available and on sale.

Nintendo's website says the game is available, but I think that's only for the physical version - note there is no option to buy a digital copy online like other games have. Check the Minecraft listing as an example.

Huh, odd. I suppose in your case the cart is preferential anyway, but still a bummer. Just goes to show once again Nintendo aren't really in the preservation game at all, I suppose. It's one thing to drop backwards capability for systems, but I don't really see why all these de-listings need to occur. Surely it costs them next to nothing to keep items on the eShop?

Runbow Pocket, a unique SKU purpose-built for N3DS, is effectively gone from the market just 3 years after launch. Sure, they presumably made the bulk of their sales already, but this is a game Nintendo pushed hard on several occassions.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Welcome to the bright and shiny digital future. C'est la vie!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
If there happen to be any holdouts who haven't yet purchased Super Mario 3D World, may want to think about that soon before a $60 Switch port gets announced. If that happens, the $20 Wii U version will be delisted from the eShop, as with Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
What about the other U-ports? Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, NSMB U, and the #Fire Emblem RPG. Did they get pulled too?
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was previously removed from the eShop just before its 2018 launch on Switch, and the Bayonetta titles are also missing from the Wii U eShop. Other titles, such as Hyrule Warriors, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, and New Super Mario U + Luigi U, that came to Switch later are still available for purchase as of press time. The Bayonetta games are likely a licensing issue with Sega, while Pikmin 3 and Tropical Freeze were both sold for the Nintendo Selects price (US$19.99/C$29.99) until their delisting while the other titles are at the full Wii U price.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Other Wii U ports are still up because they're still full price on the Wii U eShop, so there's no need to remove them.

That said, I think NSMBU did go on the Nintendo Selects line in Europe. I don't know if that one is still available on the EU eShop.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
The other one to watch for is the Metroid Prime Trilogy. The remastered prime trilogy has been rumored for ages but the Wii version of the trilogy has a rather nice set of pointer controls.

Also, as someone who double dipped on Hyrule Warriors, I'm really salty that the Switch version lost surround sound support.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I almost put the original Metroid Prime on my Backlaugust list but I decided to still hold out for the Switch trilogy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
I still want to get my hands on Super Castlevania IV on WiiU but there's a chance it'll be a waste of money if it ends up on the Switch for free.
Mission...complete?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I don’t know if it’ll ever be on there for free, Konami wants to sell you that Castlevania compilation.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent