Author Topic: What will you do with your Wii after you buy a Wii U?  (Read 14773 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
What will you do with your Wii after you buy a Wii U?
« on: July 30, 2012, 03:41:47 AM »
Its an unfortunate fact that for millions of Wii users the system is just collecting and unused, but what about when these users move on to the Wii U? Whatever relevance the Wii has now is going to be sucked away by the fact the Wii U is fully compatible with all Wii games and accessories. The one and only advantage the Wii will hold over the Wii U is Gamecube compatibility (not counting the new model of course). Would this be a sufficient enough reason for you to hold onto your Wii even after moving on to the Wii U?

If its not, then you might as well just get rid of it. But what will you do? Trade it in? Sell it? Give it away to a friend or family member? Donate it to Goodwill? Stuff it in a box and put it in the attic and forget about it? Hook it up to a TV in another room?

There are about 100 million or more Wii systems in circulation right now. Some are in use, and some are collecting dust. When people switch over to the Wii U the number that is just collecting dust is certain to increase. So what the heck is going to happen with all these old obsolete systems? In generations past if you had an NES and then upgraded to an SNES, or from SNES to an N64 the old system still held relevance because it was your only way of playing the old games. There was no backwards compatibility. But now, with Nintendo having moved to the optical era with the Gamecube, the Wii was the first system that had backwards compatibility. There wasn't much point in keeping a Gamecube after you had the Wii, because the Wii was essentially a Gamecube on steroids.... so I promptly sold my GC on ebay after making the switch.

Now with the Wii U on the horizon I am at the same crossroads yet again. The only reason to keep my Wii is for the GC backwards compatibility, but even that isn't really a big deal anymore because I've already cleared out my GC backlog years ago, and I figure whatever GC games I want to play in the future are probably going to be available for download off the Virtual Console thing, right?

So what will you all do with your Wiis after purchasing a Wii U? Is it still worth holding onto, or should it be parted with at that point?
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: What will you do with your Wii after you buy a Wii U?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:33:02 AM »
I have two Wii's, one that can play discs and one that can't. The only reason I haven't thrown it away is because I have Virtual Console and WiiWare titles on it. ONce they have a way to transfer them to the Wii U, I;m trashing the thing.

The working one I will probably keep as my main emulating machine.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:39:07 AM »
I'm keeping mine. I've regretted trading in my N64 and GameCube and ended up just rebuying them. I'll be happier holding into it.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:59:52 AM »
I think the resale value of the Wii is going to be trash once the Wii U comes out.  That coupled with me not having a gamecube sitting around probably means that I will be holding onto my Wii until it breaks down.  If anything, it'll be nice to have as a netflix/hulu machine for the bedroom.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Same thing I did with the GameCube when the Wii came out.

Buy 6 more of them.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:51:38 AM »
Keep it and put it on my shelf, right next to my various other consoles which are more or less outdated (though the SNES'll never be outdated), then grab it from time to time to play the one or other game with it. OK, this may not be necessary seeing that the WiiU can play Wii games, but I'll still keep it. I'm not in a rush to buy a WiiU anyway.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »
Directed my way, that question would be assuming quite alot. As yet, I have not decided to buy a Wii U. As much as I love my Wii and have many fond memories of the games I enjoyed on it, there simply weren't enough quality third party games. As the Wii was such a letdown in that regard, and because I can only really afford to own one console at a time, I've opted to hold off purchasing a Wii U until I've seen what Microsoft and Sony bring to the table.
Gouge away.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
I'll be using mine as a Gamecube since my actual Gamecube resides in another house.

I was thinking about selling it but i'm a hoarder at heart. Added with the fact its hardly worth anything anymore I'll just hang on to it.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
My Wii is safe for a bunch of reasons, even if I do decide to buy a Wii U eventually. 
  • Convenient to have an extra NetFlix box.
  • Doubles as a GameCube (and I've still got a nice GameCube backlog to enjoy).
  • A handful of fun Wii games require the GameCube expansion ports - for example, the Wii DDR games.
  • Having a Wii with GameCube control options benefits some games due to comfort and functionality. Also, 8-player Bomberman Blitz anyone?  So far I haven't seen that option on Wii U.
  • Imports.  Maybe this will change on Wii U eventually, but at the moment the Wii is much more import-friendly than it's successor.  (Yay for Fatal Frame.)
However, one of the biggest reasons to keep the system is just because there is almost no value in selling it at this point in time: so why bother?
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:19 AM »
Put it in the kid's playroom so they can watch Netflix and play NSMBWii.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 12:24:58 PM »
I haven't gotten rid of an old system yet.  Some of the more redundant ones (ie: PS1 since PS2 is backwards compatible) have been put away but the rest stick around.  If I get a Wii U I can see myself putting the Wii in storage and bringing the Gamecube back out.  The Cube has the GB Player and the Wii does not.  Right now the Wii is mostly hooked up for, you know, playing Wii games.  But if it's purpose is just to play Cube titles, the legitimate Cube is the better choice.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »
I keep all my old systems, the only exception is my n64 which my dad threw away because he never thought i would use it again. I never forgave him.

what i'd probably do is i'd just put the wii back into it's box and put it along side my windowsill shelf with all my other old systems and controllers. Not going to bother with selling it since there's so many wiis out there and with no one wanting to buy them anymore the value would be pretty terrible, but it at least has/will have sentimental value to me.

also I've decided not to buy a WiiU so there's that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:33:45 PM by Lithium »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 02:29:55 PM »
Yeah, I'd put my Wii into storage probably. I'm a packrat and I think there's only been two instances in my life where I got rid of old videogames/hardware.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
Probably keep it. I have two wii's actually.  One in my bedroom and one in my living room.   They will both make good backup's to each other and for my game cubes.   I still have all my systems in various storage around the house.   :)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »
ejamer hit on pretty much everything I would have said.

My Wii is safe for a bunch of reasons, even if I do decide to buy a Wii U eventually. 
  • Convenient to have an extra NetFlix box.
  • Doubles as a GameCube (and I've still got a nice GameCube backlog to enjoy).
  • A handful of fun Wii games require the GameCube expansion ports - for example, the Wii DDR games.
  • Having a Wii with GameCube control options benefits some games due to comfort and functionality. Also, 8-player Bomberman Blitz anyone?  So far I haven't seen that option on Wii U.
  • Imports.  Maybe this will change on Wii U eventually, but at the moment the Wii is much more import-friendly than it's successor.  (Yay for Fatal Frame.)
However, one of the biggest reasons to keep the system is just because there is almost no value in selling it at this point in time: so why bother?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »
If I get a Wii U, I'll likely keep my Wii to use as a GameCube Player, as well as perhaps my Xenoblade Player if I decide not to replace my import copy with a local NA version.  Depending on if Nintendo allows me to port over all my Wii Shop purchases, it might be my Virtual Console Player as well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »
I'll keep my Wii just so I have a complete line of Nintendo consoles.

I'd rather use my cube for cube games anyway considering I have a GB player.

As for Wii games I'll play them on Wii U.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »
My Wii is my Gamecube player so it is not going anywhere.

Plus, I just have this undying affection for it, so there's that.  :)
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »
Keeping mine because of the GCN BC.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
I don't see myself buying a WiiU early on in the life cycle so my Wii is going to stay functional for quite a while, especially since I have several games I haven't bought that I eventually will once they're cheap.  But if/when I buy a WiiU, I'll keep the Wii around since my Gamecube was starting to have problems around the time I got my Wii, and also for games like Smash Bros, which I prefer playing with a Gamecube controller.  Beyond that, probably not going to get much use, by that time it's not going to be a good option for Netflix since we'll have a new TV then (which will probably have Netflix built in) and probably a Roku box, plus the WiiU.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
Same thing I did with my GameCube: keep it. Disc drives are fragile, I'm not going to wear out my new system playing games that I could be playing on something that would be much cheaper to replace. Plus, we don't yet know if the Wii U will be compatible with everything the Wii is, or what can be transferred from a Wii to a Wii U. A Wii can't use a Game Boy Player for example, which is a good reason to have a real GameCube.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 10:46:32 PM »
I want to get mine repaired then maybe give it to my sister.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »
Same thing I did with my GameCube: keep it. Disc drives are fragile, I'm not going to wear out my new system playing games that I could be playing on something that would be much cheaper to replace. Plus, we don't yet know if the Wii U will be compatible with everything the Wii is, or what can be transferred from a Wii to a Wii U. A Wii can't use a Game Boy Player for example, which is a good reason to have a real GameCube.

Didn't Nintendo say all Wii software will be playable on Wii U? Well, I guess any games that had accessories that used the GameCube controller slots might be a problem. Downloads are different, as I know they haven't clarified which will be transferable.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 12:32:57 AM »
Get it repaired and keep it. I needs muh Gamecube BC. i don't have a huge GCN library (i sold a lot of stuff when the Wii came out. I WAS BROKE), but it's all stuff that I adore and still play pretty frequently

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 01:54:27 AM »
I'll keep it.  Just like I kept the GC and the N64 and the SNES and the NES.  I tend to keep the old systems just because.