Author Topic: Just Dance 2 and GoldenEye to be Published by Nintendo in Japan  (Read 2480 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Just Dance 2 and GoldenEye to be Published by Nintendo in Japan
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »

Iwata believes that the Ubisoft dance title was one of the most important titles of 2010.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24979

Nintendo has announced via their quarterly financial statement that they will be publishing two third party Wii titles in Japan: Activision's GoldenEye and Ubisoft's Just Dance 2. The success of Just Dance 2 prompted Nintendo to publish the title overseas. Nintendo Co. Ltd. President Satoru Iwata believes that Just Dance 2 was one of the more important Wii titles in 2010, outperforming Donkey Kong Country Returns in November and December in North America.

This wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has published third party titles in Japan. Sega's  two Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games titles were published in Japan by Nintendo. In addition, Nintendo published Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility in Australia.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Just Dance 2 and GoldenEye to be Published by Nintendo in Japan
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 05:28:36 PM »
Interesting move considering that Japan doesn't typically like First Person Shooters and Goldeneye (despite being a good game) didn't exactly set sales records in the West.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »
Which means that the best(and likely only) way for a game like GE to gain some traction is to ride in on Nintendo's own dollar and be presented to the Japanese audience as a Nintendo game.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »
Anybody know whether or not James Bond is popular in Japan?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:02:33 PM »
Quantum of Solace did about $21 million in Japan. and others have also done very well there.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
As far as I can gather, Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64 sold decently in Japan, so perhaps that has something to do with Nintendo publishing Activision's version of the game in Japan?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 10:48:59 PM »
As far as I can gather, Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64 sold decently in Japan, so perhaps that has something to do with Nintendo publishing Activision's version of the game in Japan?

It also has to do with the fact that Activision doesn't publish games in Japan anymore. All of the major Activision games like Call of Duty and James Bond Bloodstone are all published by Square Enix.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:58:48 PM »
Huh, I'll admit I'm a bit surprised that Ubisoft isn't publishing Just Dance 2 themselves.  Do they have a poor distribution network in Japan or something?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:11:14 AM »
I don't think they publish their own games in Japan (at least they didn't have any games in the top 100 of 2010, and I don't recall seeing them in the weekly charts).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 12:13:57 AM »
I don't think they publish their own games in Japan (at least they didn't have any games in the top 100 of 2010, and I don't recall seeing them in the weekly charts).

Hmm, maybe they need to make more Petz games, really get their foot in the door.