Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl  (Read 345211 times)

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1525 on: May 08, 2007, 06:56:09 AM »
An EBA item would be awesome. The HELP scream would fly out, followed by the agents, and everyone (except the item user) would be frozen in place, dancing, for a few seconds, allowing the user an unhindered smash or two.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 08, 2007, 07:23:41 AM »
If they all did the EBA "wave", I would find that acceptable.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1527 on: May 08, 2007, 08:19:03 AM »

Originally posted by: decoyman
An EBA item would be awesome. The HELP scream would fly out, followed by the agents, and everyone (except the item user) would be frozen in place, dancing, for a few seconds, allowing the user an unhindered smash or two.

I was actually more thinking that the inspiration would enable the user to be more resistant to smashes and  have a percentage chance of automagically performing cool dodges when about to be hit.  Also the caller would have a healp animation.

On the event, I was thinking that a scenario would be happening and you have to dance not fight.

On the level, I was thinking a drive-in with the EBA groups in the different vehicles while watching past missions run on the screen in an old projector style.  Possible instead of sitting in the vehicles the groups could be dancing in the background. (Both EBA and their Japanese counter parts.)  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1528 on: May 15, 2007, 04:52:34 AM »
7 days and counting until the new Smash Bros. Brawl site opens up.

By my speculation (which isn't worth much) I believe we will get some new character reveals.  Perhaps they will be all older character returning...but it sounds like a perfect time to reveal something brand new to us.

Will it be another new character?
Perhaps information on new items or levels?
Maybe new gameplay modes?

Finally, there may be a good chance we will finally here about the control options for the game.  Will it have motion control features, or just straight classic controller support.

What announcements do you want to see in 7 days?  

For me personally, I don't want any new character reveals, just information about the classic character, items, and game modes.  I want details about the actual game, not about secret characters or suprises like that.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 15, 2007, 07:01:21 AM »
CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG

UGHHGHASHASDJHDOA(UA@4po iuwe4f78aweoshf786aeiofhq234p9rt8124-r8f1[23ojf;lvj;sdlkf
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: May 15, 2007, 07:49:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
7 days and counting until the new Smash Bros. Brawl site opens up.

By my speculation (which isn't worth much) I believe we will get some new character reveals.  Perhaps they will be all older character returning...but it sounds like a perfect time to reveal something brand new to us.

Will it be another new character?
Perhaps information on new items or levels?
Maybe new gameplay modes?

Finally, there may be a good chance we will finally here about the control options for the game.  Will it have motion control features, or just straight classic controller support.

That big list and nothing about wanting to see a release date? What the hell's wrong with you? I honestly couldn't care less if they announce more characters or items or something. I'd rather be surprised by what I find in the game when I get it. But I MUST know when it comes out.

"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 15, 2007, 08:46:52 AM »
You don't want them to show a release date that they are going to just delay, so might as well tide us over with some actual information that is useful.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 15, 2007, 09:11:33 AM »
I want some sort of online confirmation. That's all. Release date, character reveals, whatever else = secondary to an online confirmation.

P.S. – EBA wave would be PERFECTOMUNDO. Although, those are interesting ideas, Ceric, about the character doing spectacular dodges, and perhaps dealing extra damage while the EBAs are around.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1533 on: May 15, 2007, 09:31:04 AM »
Dirk Temporo:  I have this thing...if I know when it is coming out it makes the wait much longer and harder, because I know just how long it will take.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1534 on: May 15, 2007, 09:53:06 AM »
With this announcement some rumors have surfaced.

One rumor says that Tingle will be a playable character in the game. If that happens A LOT of fans will be very angry, myself included (especially if some characters were declined in order to include him).

Another rumor is that there will be releasing a Gamecube version of Brawl. This seems rather pointless and wasteful. I mean, Sakurai has already said that he plans on adding GC controls to the game because he believes that motion controls wouldn't work well with the engine and didn't want to sacrifice traditional gameplay for the sake of innovation.

Take this will a VERY large grain of salt, though. This was posted at Go Nintendo...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 15, 2007, 09:56:17 AM »
I'm guessing a release date announcement and at least Donkey Kong unveiled. Maybe a new trailer.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 15, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »
I thought online was already confirmed, but having something shown for it would indeed make me happy.

Also, I want to see some character confirms. I know Sakurai had said that such a stink was made over Melee's characters that he would rather just reveal them all before the game is even released.

Besides, if they have any hope of combatting the mountain Halo 3 hype that's going to be happening around the same time, they need to start doing it now. I know people will say that it doesn't matter, but if someone has Wii60, then they have a finite amount of money to spend on games (or entertainment at all). Like it or not, Nintendo is in competition for the patronage of their potential customers with movie theaters and even prostitutes. 'Tis the nature of the entertainment budget.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1537 on: May 15, 2007, 10:26:32 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
With this announcement some rumors have surfaced.

One rumor says that Tingle will be a playable character in the game. If that happens A LOT of fans will be very angry, myself included (especially if some characters were declined in order to include him).

Another rumor is that there will be releasing a Gamecube version of Brawl. This seems rather pointless and wasteful. I mean, Sakurai has already said that he plans on adding GC controls to the game because he believes that motion controls wouldn't work well with the engine and didn't want to sacrifice traditional gameplay for the sake of innovation.

Take this will a VERY large grain of salt, though. This was posted at Go Nintendo...

Those rumors are so NOT going to happen.  That's some of the stupidest stuff I've heard in a long time.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 15, 2007, 11:08:07 AM »
I think online will be the difference maker. If Brawl has sh*tty online, I expect Halo 3 to walk all over it sales wise though I, personally, want Brawl more and consider online extra.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1539 on: May 15, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »
I really don't understand why Brawl and Halo 3 are being compared.  Both will sell millions and continue to sell millions throughout the life time of the their respective systems.

Really, the only game that could or should be compared to Halo 3 will be Metroid Prime 3.  Both are highly anticipated sequels.  Both are ending the trilogy stories that they started.  And both are similar games being first person perspective shooters.  (And don't give me that FPA crap, because you know these two games will be highly compared to each other.)

I do believe that Adrock is right that online is going to be important in many battles for sales, and Metroid Prime 3 is definitely one of those games.  And Metroid Prime 3 will have online multiplayer...why else would Retro and Nintendo decide to include new bounty hunter characters instead of continuing the theme of a single woman fighting in complete isolation.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: May 15, 2007, 12:04:11 PM »

Really, the only game that could or should be compared to Halo 3 will be Metroid Prime 3.  Both are highly anticipated sequels.  Both are ending the trilogy stories that they started.  And both are similar games being first person perspective shooters.  (And don't give me that FPA crap, because you know these two games will be highly compared to each other.)

Just because two games WILL be inevitably compared doesn't mean they SHOULD be. Metroid Prime is such a completely different beast than Halo, it's no wonder there's so much disparity in their sales. Heck, objectively they ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BELONG IN THE SAME LEAGUE saleswise, with MP moving 2.77 million units (the sequel moved HALF that) and Halo moving 7.89 MILLION (and its sequel doing above 6 mill).

To compare the two would be like comparing Turok with Half-Life.

I do believe that Adrock is right that online is going to be important in many battles for sales, and Metroid Prime 3 is definitely one of those games.  And Metroid Prime 3 will have online multiplayer...why else would Retro and Nintendo decide to include new bounty hunter characters instead of continuing the theme of a single woman fighting in complete isolation.

I believe that online is as important as the next guy, and I want hardcore experiences as much as anyone (then I won't have to feel bad about my CoD purchases from here on in), but I don't think it's important in the way that will turn the industry into a slugging match. Yes, it's becoming more and more likely that MP3 will have online multiplayer, but this will inevitably be considered weak and sub-standard online implementation, due to...

(pulls out a crystal ball, ready to judge a game before he plays it)

...probably a combination of factors possibly including some or even all of the following:

-a lack of game modes
-a low number of players in a match
-un-exciting arena designs
-no voice chat
-strangely non-standard FPA gameplay shoe-horned into an online environment
-lack of bots
-small online community
-friend codes
-difficulty in matchmaking
-lack of hardcore pwn element

With none of those difficulties likely to stand in the way of Halo 3, how could anyone anticipate that these two games could conceivably go toe-to-toe in the general gamer's mind?

Edit: Oh dear god I've gone off topic!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 15, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »

Wait, what?

Are you thinking of Hunters, or was this actually announced?

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 15, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »
Slight Prime 3 spoilers

Spak is right on that one.  In some of the play-through videos released from E3 last year, Samus met up with some other bounty hunters.  Some that actually had a significant role.  We'll see how that goes though.

[/offtopic]  1 week my friends.  I'm so stoked it's not even funny.  I've recently moved 1000 miles from my regular Smashing buddies, so some good news on the online structure would be very welcome about now.  Can't freaking wait.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 15, 2007, 01:20:58 PM »
Are these the ones from MP:Hunters or different ones?

And for the record, SSB is the only game in existence which can still bring me to a level of immense giddiness.

It was this feeling which raised my expectations for SSBM so high.

Dammit, there's the feeling again...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 15, 2007, 01:28:53 PM »
Didn't you see the Prime 3 trailer? And you call yourself a Nintendo fan...........

The only other bounty hunter I remember was this Iceman (yes, from the X-Men) knock-off named Rundus. He was a tool. Thanks for saving me after I f-ed up Ridley, ass. So yeah, they're not the ones from Hunters. Rundus looks like one of them, but is, in fact, a completely different character.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: May 15, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
I did see that one, but I didn't know the guy who saved her was a bounty hunter.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 15, 2007, 02:56:31 PM »
Finally, some new Smash Bros info.  The wait these last 6 months has been driving me crazy.

But now for what I expect, I think we'll probobly just see more of the returning characters right now.  People have to remember that the game won't be out until at least the fall, and so why reveal new characters now.  Revealing new characters is what causes more hype for the game and if they show them now then it would be a waste.

I predict Nintendo wont reveal any completly new characters until at least 2 months before the game is released.  I'd imagine that would be the perfect way to increase hype through the roof right before it's released.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1547 on: May 15, 2007, 03:01:11 PM »
I still believe that is fair to compare Metroid Prime series to Halo...though it is true it is not the absolute best comparison.

I originally brought the point up because we were raising the importance of online and Smash Bros Brawl and comparing it to Halo 3.  Online will not make or break Brawl, like it would make or break Halo 3, or as it has a huge chance of making or breaking Metroid Prime 3.

Personally, I am really excited about the concepts of other hunters and expanding the Metroid universe.  I want the characters from Hunters to have real personalities and stories and fuse them into Corrupted...and add new diverse characters.  Then we can actually have a robust online game environment.

I also question why in the world does Metroid online fail and have few players?  Why it must have boring environments?  Why Nintendo can't have voice chat.  To me it sounds like a lot of assumptions that could be wrong.  Nobody knows what the future holds for Metroid yet...and I am not going to assume the worst, just because nobody believes Nintendo can do online well.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1548 on: May 15, 2007, 03:13:30 PM »
Then assume the best, that there is no online, and therefore won't break MP3.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 15, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »
I don't believe that Metroid Prime 3 will live or die by it's online mode at all. I care INFINITELY more about an epic single-player experience... and it'll live or die by its wiimote controls anyways.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.