Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Game Boy: Finally time to Play It Loud!®

<< < (3/4) > >>

Spak-Spang:
The Gameboy Donkey Kong is one of my favorite Mario experiences.  A puzzle platformer that feels so classic and great.  I really hated when the sequels moved away from the original formula to the toy Marios and such.  I would love a remake or sequel to that original designed game because it was almost perfect.

Spak-Spang:
OBO or better offer.  To him $350+ is better than 350.00 so maybe he does know what it means?  hahahaha.

Seriously though, $350.00 is a lot for that package, he must be proud of it.

Spak-Spang:
Super Mario Land is an odd game.  It is a Mario game and for what it is worth it plays well, but it is so odd.  For a unique Mario experience play it.  See what you think. 

Super Mario Land 2 is the premium GB Mario experience.  It feels like Mario 3, except the screen is too zoomed in.  I found that I would have rather worse graphics than play with such little level information.  Super Mario Land 2 was a totally good game that needs an HD remake just like Metroid 2 got.  Nintendo really needs to revisit and release some of their old Gameboy games that were great ideas but could not be executed well and polish them up.  I would pay full price for a good remaster of Nintendo's best gameboy advance games with updated graphics. 

Adrock:
I snagged Final Fantasy Adventure. The cartridge is a little bit yellowed so I need to figure out how to retrobright it without damaging the label which is in surprisingly good shape. I managed to get a 1991 original instead of the 1998 re-release published by Sunsoft. The battery still works though I should probably replace it.

Fun fact: Did you know you can replace the save battery in Super Nintendo cartridges without losing your save files? You can solder a battery holder with AA batteries to different solder points on the cartridge to continue driving power to the game while you replace the save battery.

I do not know if this is possible on GB/GBC/GBA games because they're so small. They may not have the necessary solder points. There are apparently also third party devices that allow you to upload your save so you can replace the battery then download your save after. The battery holder is likely a cheaper solution.

It turns out I actually have Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. I was rummaging through the mountain of boxes I haven't really touched in years. I came across the OG Game Boy my sister's ex-boyfriend gave me. The game was still in the system. Huzzah!

There was a surprise update to the Mother 3 fan translation which means my reproduction cart is outdated now. BOO/HISS! The last patch was three years ago and was considered to be complete. Anyway, the translation is largely the same, but the new patch (v1.3) fixes some bugs and technical issues, even some present in the original Japanese version. If you're interested, you can review the list of changes/updates HERE. I'll wait to read some impressions before committing to buying the inevitable reproduction cartridge of v1.3.

Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble finally got delivered. How did anyone play this game without a backlit display? I played it for a few minutes on a stock GBC. It was so hard to see what I was doing. I almost had a stroke trying to tilt the GBC and look at the screen at the same time.

--- Quote from: Spak-Spang on April 14, 2021, 05:56:31 PM ---The Gameboy Donkey Kong is one of my favorite Mario experiences.  A puzzle platformer that feels so classic and great.  I really hated when the sequels moved away from the original formula to the toy Marios and such.  I would love a remake or sequel to that original designed game because it was almost perfect.
--- End quote ---
How was the first sequel? I only played Mario vs. Donkey Kong briefly at Game Crazy back in like 2008. I remember the controls feeling a bit stiff.

--- Quote from: Spak-Spang on April 14, 2021, 06:05:40 PM ---Super Mario Land 2 is the premium GB Mario experience.  It feels like Mario 3, except the screen is too zoomed in.  I found that I would have rather worse graphics than play with such little level information.
--- End quote ---
Mario's jump felt floaty. I'm sure I just have to keep playing and I'll get used to it.

--- Quote ---Super Mario Land 2 was a totally good game that needs an HD remake just like Metroid 2 got.  Nintendo really needs to revisit and release some of their old Gameboy games that were great ideas but could not be executed well and polish them up.  I would pay full price for a good remaster of Nintendo's best gameboy advance games with updated graphics.
--- End quote ---
I imagine a Super Mario Land 2 remake would be more Link's Awakening remake and less Samus Returns. There's a lot Nintendo can do with a remake. I'd start with new stages and obviously a larger viewing area.

Collectively, we really need to stop paying full price for remasters.

GK:
Battle Arena Toshinden on GB/GBC - Knew I liked Takara's take on Game Boy fighting games after Samurai Shodown, but I thought they kicked it up a notch here. Pretty sure I played it more than the original PSX game my brother had.

Castlevania Legends - Another GB/GBC standout for me. Though it might just be because it was made after Symphony of the Night, yet it wasn't a metroidvania. Sometimes I just want to whip my way from point A to point B without having to backtrack.

Oh, & Kirby's Star Stacker. Everyone I let play it told me it was boring & both Tetris & Yoshi were better, yet I got addicted to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version