Author Topic: Super Mario 3D World Thread.  (Read 34980 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D World Thread.
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
I like the Toad Brigade levels where there is no jumping. I agree that gamepad only is silly but I think they are so fun and nice change of pace. I played another really hard gamepad only level where I had to touch the screen to make the platforms appear. It was challenging and was fun use of the touch screen.
I like the GamePad stages as a change of pace, but they're marred by the GamePad requirement which feels forced. Otherwise, the stages themselves are fun.

Anyway, there's a bit more variety to 3D World over its predecessor. The Cat Bell power-up is really great. Nintendo utilizes it really well. The Tanooki Suit in 3D Land mostly just saved me from very poor jumping choices. I believe I'm almost finished with the game though the completionist in me will likely replay every stage with each character which I believe gives me a star next to my save file. I wish I could say it's not worth it, but it totally is.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »
So are we thinking at this point that the past couple Mario games were fairly bland and boring at E3 just so they could blow us away even more?
I'm thinking those reactions were because the next Mario game wasn't what many people wanted, but after getting over their disappointment they could enjoy the game. I know that was the case with me at least, and even after playing it I think it could be better. But it is what it is, so I might as well enjoy it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2013, 12:52:12 AM »
I like the Toad Brigade levels where there is no jumping. I agree that gamepad only is silly but I think they are so fun and nice change of pace. I played another really hard gamepad only level where I had to touch the screen to make the platforms appear. It was challenging and was fun use of the touch screen.
I like the GamePad stages as a change of pace, but they're marred by the GamePad requirement which feels forced. Otherwise, the stages themselves are fun.

Anyway, there's a bit more variety to 3D World over its predecessor. The Cat Bell power-up is really great. Nintendo utilizes it really well. The Tanooki Suit in 3D Land mostly just saved me from very poor jumping choices. I believe I'm almost finished with the game though the completionist in me will likely replay every stage with each character which I believe gives me a star next to my save file. I wish I could say it's not worth it, but it totally is.

And that is one of the only ways to get some extra stickers. 

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2013, 02:53:11 PM »
I am flabbergasted at how much content there is in this game. I was pleasantly surprised by the extra world after the first space bonus world. Then it slowly sunk in that there were going to be six extra. I'm on the Fire Flower special world, and I can't beat the first level so far. I can only imagine how insanely difficult this is going to get.

Played through the last few worlds with my brother, and the multiplayer is fantastic, totally against my expectations. It's kind of a stunning achievement to make a 3D cooperative platformer this good, and it's also hard to go back to playing alone.

My eight-year-old nephew also started his own file while visiting this weekend, and while he usually gets bored of activities within 30 minutes, he ended up hooked on the game for four hours over the course of the weekend. Did my heart good to see the kid captivated by something that isn't Grand Theft Auto or Max Payne.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2013, 10:25:12 PM »
In my eyes, Mario in co-op and Mario in single player are two completely different games with completely different goals and completely different gameplay.

I am astounded Nintendo makes both variants co-exist within same levels with console NSMB games and now this.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2013, 07:10:13 AM »
Just beat the first world. I don't think I really like the run ramp up, it doesn't feel super great.. I did start to get used to it though. The characters feel a little more sluggish than I think they should.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2013, 08:11:58 AM »
The final world = tears. Tears everywhere.

The Captain Toad stage isn't bad once I realized I can tap an enemy on the GamePad screen to kill it.

I don't know if I have the patience to go through each stage with the other characters though not having to get the stars again makes that easier. Using Peach is like a cheat code.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:18 AM »
I cannot believe you're using Peach in this year of Luigi.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
I cannot believe you're using Peach in this year of Luigi.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
I don't know if I have the patience to go through each stage with the other characters though not having to get the stars again makes that easier. Using Peach is like a cheat code.
If you are able to play some multiplayer then it would go faster, as it'll count for beating the stage with every character in use. Just make sure every player grabs the flagpole or else it won't count for those who do not.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »
I only played multiplayer on a friend's Wii U so I'm on my own for my save file.

I finally played the last stage. Holy shiz... What the? I tried like three or four times then turned the Wii U off before I could reach rage quit levels of anger. The final marathon stage is also nuts, but I feel like I can manage that better.

How far is everyone?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2013, 09:57:53 PM »
I got to World Mushroom, took one look, and it was... nope.gif. Granted, it was late at night and I'm gonna be snowed in Sunday so I'll probably try to blast through it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
I got to Crown World, got frustrated by how badly I was failing at the two levels, and went back through most of the game on coop to fill out the character markers. It would take going through 75% of the game again to finish out all the characters, and I don't think I'm sick enough to do it. Though I would if there was a final last-level-on-daredevil unlock, cuz this game is so boss.

So I went back to Crown Town, and focused on the mystery house, which I was finally able to get through once I found the hidden power ups that provide a cushion if you **** up the sequence. (Can anyone beat the two bully one without a cat suit?)

Champion's Road, though, I've played over fifty times, on co-op and solo. On co-op I got to the first green star a few times, but solo I can't get through the bleep blocks dependably. I really don't want to give up but I also don't know if I can actually do it. Which is a shameful feeling. If I did DKCR on mirror mode all the way through I should be able to pull this off!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2013, 11:36:53 PM »
After convincing my mother-in-law to get my daughter (me) Rayman Legends, I convinced my mom to get Super Mario 3D World for her (me). To be fair she really did want both of these (actually my 4 year old son nearly pulled an "N64 Kid" throwing his fist in the air and screaming "Yeeesss!"), but I have to say...and we've only just passed World 1....this could be the best Mario game ever.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2016, 08:40:45 PM »
Champion's Road is really doing a number on me right now. I feel I'm coming close to attempting it 200 times based on my lives lost and I haven't even gotten to the third green star yet. The real killer in the level for me is the bleep box portion like MagicCow64 mentioned. I've probably lost 70% of the time there particularly the third portion where you get the first green star after climbing those block steps. Having the two and two same color final portion is such a difficult challenge and it's just about timing. Does anyone have any tips/tricks suggestions about that?

This level is about learning from your mistakes. As you die from a mistake, then you begin to form a pattern of how to play the level and progress. For the most part, I'm getting better and better with my pattern except for the bleep block portion. I've started playing this level on Sunday and continued again yesterday. I was able to now reach the end of the spike and water portion. But I stupidly just tried to let Mario sink to the clear pipe at the end of that portion and was eliminated by some moving spikes before reaching it when I should have hit ZL and had him ground pound or dive to the pipe faster. But now I know that and have learned the lesson for the next time I get there. With the bleep box portion, I haven't been able to get that eureka moment or lesson. It's just about hoping that when I jump my timing will be magically perfect enough to make get across.

I'm playing the level without any power-ups because I know it is designed to be beat without them and I don't want to constantly be leaving the level to go to another level to regain the power-up and come back to try again so I'm not looking for a suggestion involving a power-up. Not sure what I think of the recent trend in 3D Mario games to unlock a final super-tough level as in Galaxy 2, Mario 3D Land and now Mario 3D World. It's alright if you can keep making progress in it like 3D Land and the opening portion of Champion's Road I can breeze through despite its initial difficulty along with later portions after the blocks. So, there is an appeal there as you get really good at a difficult challenge unless you get stuck at a portion and cannot make progress. I think it's slightly less ridiculous challenge than the Grandmaster Galaxy of beating the level without taking any damage but I have mixed feelings about it. I think it is the reward aspect of the challenge. Beating the level just gets you a Miiverse stamp and the knowledge that you persevered and overcame the challenge. At least with F-Zero GX, beating a cup on Master difficulty with a racer gave you a short little video starring the racer you could watch over and over. I liked that reward and it motivated me to get a Master Cup victory with all the racers. Perhaps if Rosalina or another character like Daisy, Wario or Waluigi had been unlocked by beating Champion's Road, that would make it more encouraging to keep playing through the multiple failures instead of just doing it to complete it.

Well, back to the trenches soon enough but Game 1 of the World Series is taking my attention right now.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2016, 09:33:21 PM »
I just saw a no power-up run of Champion's Road on YouTube and it triggered a fresh wave of PTSD. That and Mystery House Marathon where the only two levels I could not complete in this game.

The Bleek box portions are terrible but I've seen some people cheese portions of it by standing on the center outline when the boxes alternate color side by side. For the sections where there are 3 boxes of the same color I've seen people jump then at the top/or just after the top of their jump do a ground pound. The animation lasts just enough for the blocks to reappear and keep you safe.

I'm ok with 3D Mario games having a super difficult level at the very end simple because it serves as the logical end to the game. It's a little nod to the diehards who keep saying Mario games are too easy. I don't like how they're made artificially difficult at times but it's not big deal. If I get too frustrated I can just watch it on YouTube and then feel bad for not being as gud.

I do hope Nintendo keep Mario as the platformer of intermediate difficulty while making the Donkey Kong series the more hardcore and difficult of the bunch.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »
I played Champions Road like five times and said "Yeah I've played enough of this game." Kudos for trying that many times, Champions Road is no joke.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2016, 11:08:20 PM »
I love watching really great players do a run flawlessly, it makes the game look so easy, but you know if you tried it you would die hard.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2016, 12:22:09 AM »
I've beaten Champion Road as Mario, Luigi and Peach.  I intend to do it as Rosalina and Toad some day but haven't gotten to it yet since I like to do that level as the last one for each character after playing every other level as them and I haven't gotten around to playing the game as those 2 yet (except parts that required them to get a sticker or star so I could get them all to unlock Champion Road in the first place)

Anyway, for Mario and Luigi I used the Raccoon suit but only for the final part with all these cheap ass lasers and speed boast.  I played the rest of the level with no items including the bleep box sections but after spending hours trying that final section I eventually said **** it.  I don't considering it cheating since the camera is just total **** for that final section where you have to collect the 5 keys and I would always get cheap shotted by the laser rings from off screen it it's hard as **** to control because of the boast blocks making it extremely difficult to control.  This is why I didn't need to use the Raccoon suit as Peach since her normal floating ability was good enough to help dodge the lasers and not fly off the fucking screen because of the bullshit camera.

Overall I still like the level, but feel Galaxy 2 and 3D Land's final level was much better.  Still, I always love the idea of a videogame offering one final challenging experience for the most hardcore fans to enjoy.  It's the ultimate test of your skills and a great way to finish off the experience to me.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2016, 01:56:28 PM »
Well, after the baseball game, I made another 50 - 60 attempts at this level. While that might sound crazy, I'm starting to see some better progress in it. This time around, the bleep box section wasn't too bad. I think I'm finally getting the timing or at least a better sense of how to jump along them. Still had some problems of jumping too soon or too late on the last few blocks with a mistimed jump. But it felt like I was starting to die or make my mistakes more on the later portions of the level after the blocks. Perhaps 35% blocks and 65% other portions.

I finally started reaching the laser portion that Luigi Dude talked about. First time at it, I ran around the first laser to the portion where you have to start jumping and promptly jumped onto the next laser. Next time around, I mistimed my jump and didn't even make it to that small platform and third time around I was too busy looking at the lasers and didn't notice Mario running off the edge until it was too late. Try, try again. At one point, I actually made it to the lasers without having taken any damage for the first time so I was still normal Mario and getting excited because this meant I could take a hit and still keep going in the laser section. Expecting to finally make some progress on this portion and get more intel on what lies ahead, I took off and promptly mistimed that first jump again falling down into the endless chasm below. *sigh*

I kept at it a bit more but it was starting to get late so I was telling myself just get to the laser portion without taking any damage again. That was my goal. Show myself I'm making progress at mastering this level. After a few more tries, I did end up there again with no damage again. Now, in my other attempts at the lasers, I kept trying different times of when to start running and trying to work out the lasers timing so that when I am jumping along the boost pad gaps I don't end up jumping on a laser and dying. I felt that there was most likely a proper timing to this portion of the level and it was just a matter of figuring out when to start running. I waited for the first laser to get to a certain point and then took off. This time I had no problem with my jumping and the timing was perfect. No lasers in the way of my jumps or landings and I made it to the end portion and actually got the third green star of the level for the first time!

However, running down the middle of this section put me in the epicenter of all these laser so I took my first hit and shrunk to small Mario. Still, I grabbed the key in the center and then swung to the top left corner and grabbed that key moving in a counterclockwise fashion to the next key at the bottom left and on to the bottom right key. Unfortunately, I missed that one when jumping for it. Then as I was travelling to the top right key, I was scanning the level to see where it was and watch the progress of the lasers around me and didn't notice that my direction was off until I looked back and saw Mario already falling off the stage. Gah! I was so close to getting past that section.

Well, having now experienced that and having made new progress in the level, I didn't want to quit but it was pretty late. I started making a few attempts and died at the bleep box section on my first new attempt and then kept getting hit or taking damage early a couple times so I decided to just stop and exit the level and start over. Started having another good run until I got to the wall jump section and suddenly started struggling to wall jump. I kept rubbing up on the back wall and springing forward which led to me springing into one of the spike topped enemies and taking damage and then shortly after doing it again as small Mario and dying. On that moment of frustration, I decided to call it quits and go to bed.

Still, I'm close. I can feel it now. I really want to get back to the laser section and to double check if I am right about the timing of when to run and if a new strategy I have for running to collect those keys will work. I wish I knew how to record my gameplay because I'd love to show what I'm doing for this level and break down my strategy and timing of it all because I think it would help anyone who finds it daunting or hasn't been able to beat it yet and show them how to do it without even needing to bring power ups with them.

I've got more confidence on the bleep box section and there were a few times where I knew my timing was off but was able to keep hopping back between a couple blocks to recover and regroup and I seem to be handling that section better. My biggest challenge now is in the rolling spike section after the Magikoopas. Early on, there is a moving platform that has a wall of Fuzzys that move back and forth in a line. Even with the potted Piranha Plant, this is the section I often end up taking damage on and when I do get past them unscathed it feels like a fluke more than good timing.

I'm just eager to get back to this level now and can't wait to get off work to get back at it. Gaming is a funny thing sometimes. I'm just so excited now that I have seen I am improving and am making progress which I just didn't feel like I was doing the past couple days.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »
I used the Tanooki suit to complete Champion's Road because the idea of the level doesn't appeal to me. It only took a few tries with the suit and I could probably do it without at least with some characters, but that isn't fun for me so it isn't worth it. My fave character is also Toad who is probably the worst choice for the level.

I think the Mystery Box Marathon level is easier, at least once I had it all memorised. It's tough to do a blind run through, but after seeing each room it isn't a difficult level, just a lengthy one. It's also easier to handle in multiplayer, whereas having more than one player makes Champion's Road worse.

Is there a video of four players completing Champion's Road with no powerups and no deaths? Now that would be something to see.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2016, 04:01:09 PM »

Well, mission accomplished.

I didn't get much playtime in on Thursday but I was definitely improving on the blast boxes and starting to get to the laser portion more regularly but I was wrong about timing. On Friday, I decided to check out a YouTube video on to see how other people had run the course and watched the timing on the first laser. So, then I started trying it out myself and with a few tries, I was getting the result I needed. Came close a few times but flew off the course or died on my way to the last key. Once I had all the keys but jumped onto the lasers just before the box and died. But finally, it all came together and completed it through without even taking any damage. I Grandmaster Galaxied the thing! That got a fist pump in the air.

I played the game through with Mario aside from a couple courses I had switched up a character to get a stamp or I thought might work better for getting a star. So, then I wondered if I should bother playing through the game with the other characters. I decided I'd start trying for it but that I'd rather wrap up the Crown World while I'm still prepared for it. I also wanted to see whether the pattern I developed for the level would work with the other characters. I went with Toad next because my understanding was that he might be the most difficult character. I did find I needed to make some adjustments with him. His jumping is odd having not used him much. After a few tries, I just decided to play through the first world and maybe pick-up some power-ups to help me out instead. So, I complete the first world with everyone and called it quits.

Didn't pick up the game again until Sunday afternoon. Promptly lost with Toad and the powerups I had so just decided to keep going at it with no power-ups. After about 50 tries, I succeeded with Toad and no power-ups. Feeling even more confident in my abilities with this level, I then went to Luigi. Again, adjustments were needed. One of the steps I took in the beginning was that, when you face some Charging Chucks, I would usually just jump onto the first thin ledge and have the Chucks come to me and then I'd just jump on them from that same spot and then run along the strips to the next portion. However, Luigi has that dump step and slip so sometimes if I was trying to just position myself better, he'd add an extra step and fall off the edge. Conversely, because of his high jump, it made the third portion of blast box section much easier since he could basically jump past a level to the next so it didn't require a double jump on the end double blocks. Instead, it was the second portion that seemed to increase in difficulty with him. At one point, I thought I had all the keys in the laser section but when I got what I expected to be the last one, I realized I had missed one. Ran for it and then, for some stupid reason, thought I just could hit the opposite direction on the controller to have him turn back which is not the case and off the edge he ran. Shortly after this, one of the Mii ghosts that run the level with you had a present attached to it. It gave me a Tanooki Suit so I took and ran with it and beat the level with Luigi instantly after about 30 or so tries without it. So, yes, the Tanooki Suit is a big help for this course once you know what to expect.

Next up was Rosalina. I wanted to save Peach for last since Luigi Dude implied she would be the easiest and I've decided to give all my levels a crown flag symbol finish after my completion of the first world with all characters. Gotta play with OCD! Rosalina reminds me of how people compared Samus' movement in Metroid prime to that of a tank. She just feels slow and heavy. Once again, the blast box portion took some adjustments. Fortunately, Rosalina has the spin attack move which acted a bit like Luigi's high jump and allowed me to not have to double jump the last portion. It also made defeating the Magikoopas much easier. More surprising was the increased difficulty with the snaked Piranha plant vines that you need to consecutively jump. Because of the low height of her initial jump, I never seemed to have enough height on getting to another one and actually died a couple times just bouncing into their mouths. After about 20 tries, though, I did beat the level with her. I even did the laser portion as a small Rosalina because I think I took some damage on the Piranha bounce again leading up to it. At this point, the laser section was becoming less difficult and my timing on it was getting better and better. Plus, once I cleared it with Mario and no damage, I would keep playing through a level even if I took a hit since I knew it was possible to clear the section without taking any damage.

That brought me to Peach. I hoped I would clear it in one go or two with her floating ability but it actually took about 10 tries. Again, the hard part was just adapting to the first sections with her jump and speed. Like Rosalina, the wall jumping portions were a bit harder to accomplish because her floating throws off the timing. However, getting to the lasers was a blast. Peach makes a complete mockery of the difficulty of that section. I could run around that thing for hours with her. It was great and a nice end to playing that level. It's funny how my opinion on the level has changed over the course of the week. After getting very frustrated in the beginning, I slowly worked it all out and it will now be something I really remember positively and am a bit more fond of in regards to this game. It's given me the Stockholm Syndrome. Although Luigi is the only one I finished the level using a power-up with, I know I could beat it without if I kept at but it doesn't matter that much to me whether I actually do it with or without at this point. Much like how my goal now is just to finish the level with the characters as fast as I can in the other worlds and not bother with collecting stars and stamps in them again.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:06:07 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2021, 02:32:31 PM »
I thought I would bump this thread since the game is re-releasing today on Switch. I opted to replay the Wii U version rather than double dip. I did just pick up the cat amiibo though. They are super cute!

I thought I had done a 100% run on the game but I did not complete every level with every character so I was missing a few stamps. I also played coop the first time and this time I played solo. I was a little bored at first running every level three times, but eventually came to enjoy speed-running each of the levels. By the third attempt I could get a new high score, best run time, and not get hit.

I have heard complaints that the movement is slow but I found it fast enough and would not want it faster. I also originally played with just the gamepad and this time tried every possible control scheme. I had not used the Wii classic controller pro in a while and I really like it. Definitely an underrated controller IMO. The game is a lot easier that I remember and did not really challenge me until the last two levels. My thoughts on that difficulty spike and my experience playing them now are almost identical to the comments from Luigi Dude and Mop it Up mentioned above. I also learned there were a few levels that the Wii U version required the game-pad for, but it mostly was not necessary.

So, are you picking up the game on Switch?

Was this a double-dip for you?

Finally, I am curious if the Luigi Bros. game, a palette swap version of Mario Bros. used to commemorate the eponymous Year of Luigi, is included in the Switch version?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2021, 03:06:07 PM »
Oh yes, as evidenced by the double-dip Wii U thread I was most likely (see 100%) pick this up. It just got delivered to me, so I'm going to dig in with my brother today! :D
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2021, 03:20:28 PM »
I blasted through the main campaign of Bowser's Fury but I'll likely be working towards getting 100% there. I honestly like the structure of that mode more than Odyssey/64 or the 3D Land/World stuff and I really hope we get more of it.