Author Topic: Heroes of Ruin Impressions  (Read 4719 times)

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Heroes of Ruin Impressions
« on: June 08, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »

My biggest disappointment of E3.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/30657

Developed by n-Space and published by Square Enix, Heroes of Ruin is n-Space's first attempt at making a Diablo-inspired game for the 3DS. As a Diablo fan myself, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the dungeon-crawler; however, after playing the demo, my hype quickly changed to disappointment.

The single player demo on the show floor had two of the game's four available classes playable—the Vindicator and the Gunslinger. I chose the Vindicator because of his strong emphasis on melee attacks. After choosing the character, I was then given the option to customize his clothing, color, fur (he's a cat) and hair. The options were fairly simple, but it is nice to have character variation, especially in a game that is as heavily online focused as Heroes of Ruin. Additionally, n-Space has done a remarkable job at streamlining the item equipping and selling by mapping them to different directions on the d-pad. When you come across an item, all you have to do is press up to equip it or down to sell it. It's so well done that it even rivals Diablo III's own method for dealing with this problem. Sadly, however, Heroes of Ruin's gameplay doesn't quite live up to the series that inspired it.

My first problem came with the Vindicator's sluggish movement. Even as a tank he felt slow. Though, I didn't play as the Gunslinger, so I am not sure if the problem is with every class, or if it will be remedied as you level up. Additionally, the game's combat lacks the necessary feedback that players need to avoid premature deaths. This was especially apparent whenever I got close to do an attack, as my character's health would drop dangerously low and I wouldn't be aware of it until I looked at the health bar. This is a game breaker in combat heavy games, but I doubt it will be much of a problem when using a class that focuses on range attacks, like the Gunslinger.

From my brief time with Heroes of Ruin, it went from a must have game, to one I might pick up after it hits the bargain bin. And that’s sad, as it seems they have been able to get some mechanics right, and the online multiplayer looks to be the most ambitious on the 3DS. Nevertheless, if the core game isn’t polished, online and additional mechanics won’t save it.

James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes of Ruin Impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
I played through the eShop demo, is the floor demo the same?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:45:33 PM »
I've only played the European Demo and I did play as the ranged character. I had problems of my own with the game but certainly didn't notice any sluggishness in terms of maneuverability, at least with Gunslinger. You can check out my impressions on the forum.
Gouge away.

Offline ChosenOne25

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »
What are you talking about? The demo got me hooked and wanting more! It was great, action was tense and skills were interesting. Graphics fit very well as well and quests were fun and made sense. And I haven't even tried the online yet, how is that a disappointment please? Guys, play the demo and see for yourself! It's great! Don't let negative impressions take you away from the fun!
Friend Code: 5284-1731-8521
Feel free to add me :D

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 07:42:04 PM »
After choosing the character, I was then given the option to customize his clothing, color, fur (he's a cat) and hair.

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 10:22:58 PM »
What are you talking about? The demo got me hooked and wanting more! It was great, action was tense and skills were interesting. Graphics fit very well as well and quests were fun and made sense. And I haven't even tried the online yet, how is that a disappointment please? Guys, play the demo and see for yourself! It's great! Don't let negative impressions take you away from the fun!
Agreed, everyone should play the demo before deciding what to think about the title. I certainly don't want people to make up their mind on a game based on my opinion alone, but I do stand by everything I wrote in the above impressions.
James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 02:49:31 AM »
I'm probably going to check out the demo in the next day or so.

I was/am really excited for this game and was sad to hear it might not live up to my hopes based on James' impressions.

It may sound like a no-brainer, but I've really been trying to decide between getting either Heroes of Ruin or Diablo III.  I played a little D3 and wasn't crazy about it. Guess I'll have to try the HoR demo and decide for myself!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »
When is the demo coming to the US?

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 03:29:04 AM »

Oh crud. Is it not available here yet?  I just assumed based on what others said ....  now I've made an ass out of wii U and me.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 03:34:04 AM »

Oh crud. Is it not available here yet?  I just assumed based on what others said ....  now I've made an ass out of wii U and me.

Hi, NinSage! It's SuperPhillip!
The Heroes of Ruin demo, I believe, is only available for PAL people. It might just be Europe. I would love to be  corrected if I'm wrong, however.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
There is a good chance we'll get the demo closer to the NA release date.  I'm still a bit peeved about the delay here for no apparent reason - even if the game underwhelms, it's not like 3DS has had a strong retail showing over the past couple of months.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »
@Phil

SuperPhillip!  How's it going, man? The link to your site has not left the NinTemple homepage, my friend.

That's very sad about the HoR demo.  Hopefully it comes to the states soon.

Offline Tween20

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »
I now have played the demo twice through.  Other than some camera angle issues, I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see more.  Will be interested to see how robust the single player campaign is--I have not been much of a group-gamer thus far and I know that multi-player gaming is sort of the intent of HoR.