Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 790112 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
This is why Nintendo shouldn't have unveiled the Wii U last year. What was the point of unveiling it then when it isn't coming out until this year? All it did was give Sony and Microsoft a good head start to start ripping off the idea.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Well Nintendo needed to show something.  They were taking a beating and didn't have many games left over for the Wii, and many studios had already started working on the future console with Wii U games.  I think Nintendo did the right thing revealing the Wii U...but maybe it was just a little too early.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Yeah, I don't think they had much of a choice last year. But they should've showed real game footage, even if it was just a head fake, a la the infamous Space World Zelda video.

I think it's actually good if both Microsoft and Sony go whole hog on copying the tablet. This will lead to more third party developer support, and more fully fleshed out tablet features on the WiiU than might otherwise have been programmed. Plus, competitive innovation, all that jazz.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Almost every game looked the same.  Even Tomb Raider and Resident Evil looked the same.  How many helicopters exploded in the press conference?  It reminds me of the Crysis helicopter exploding last year.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
If Nintendo didn't release info last year ms would have known anyway unless not a single third party was given anything relevant until recently.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Almost every game looked the same.  Even Tomb Raider and Resident Evil looked the same.  How many helicopters exploded in the press conference?  It reminds me of the Crysis helicopter exploding last year.

OK, let's not insult the awesomeness of the Tomb Raider reboot by comparing it to yet another action-heavy, QTE-centric Resident Evil game.  Tomb Raider looks much more complex and entertaining.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile

OK, let's not insult the awesomeness of the Tomb Raider reboot by comparing it to yet another action-heavy, QTE-centric Resident Evil game.  Tomb Raider looks much more complex and entertaining.
Of course, there are QTEs in both of those games.  I do think the new Tomb Raider looks much better though and I already preordered it last year. :)

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile

It's not an insult to any of the games with the same sort of gameplay.  RE, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, etc. all look pretty similar in how they play (attack style, controls, stealth kills, climbing like Ezio, intercut with cinematics), but I think they all look fun.  I just was amazed at how similar game after game looked.  It made the conference really sad, as if they were displaying the state of the industry now.

With that said, I will probably enjoy some of these games and I appreciate how much hard work has gone into honing this style of game.  Like action movies, they can be quite fun while sticking to the formula, and the bad action movies remind us that it is not easy regardless of how many times it has been done.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
LOL @ the people who thought MS and Sony would announce new systems this year.

Microsoft wants to keep the Xbox 360 around as long as they can, and Sony can't afford to make a new console with how badly the Vita is selling.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
LOL @ the people who thought MS and Sony would announce new systems this year.

The smart thing would have been if Nintendo hadn't announced the Wii U at E3 2011, and instead saved everything and then combined it all for this year's E3. I know their 2011 presentation was disappointing and so was their presentation this year, but if they took everything from last year and saved it and combined it with this year's E3 then they might have had something halfway decent, but instead of doing that Nintendo blew their load prematurely and so they didn't have much to wow anyone with this year.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Nintendo had a lot to show this year. One of the best parts was just shown on Sunday. Even if they weren't ready to blow their load on Nintendo Network details, more emphasis on it would have been nice. I don't really know why Ubisoft got so much time when they had their own press conference but I have to give credit where credit is due. They're the only company that is embracing Wii U. In the past year, most of these companies could have hired the talent necessary to port their games to Wii U. I'm hopeful that they're just withholding info but I'm still worried that they're just not going to support the platform. I wish the 3rd party sizzle reel included more upcoming games that we didn't know were coming.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
I'm still holding out hope that Nintendo will wow us at some point.  The majority of games that have been announced have been western games.  Maybe they are holding onto the 3rd party Japanese games for their own conference in Japan to show those games. 

And I agree that M$ wants to stay with the 360 for as long as possible.  The more I see, the more it feels like the reports that they will wait until at least 2014 to release the new one are correct.  They are making money on the 360 and they know there is no guarantee when they will start making money with the new system.  Why destroy a revenue when it shows no signs of diminishing?  M$ is not run by the Maloof family so they are smart enough to retain proven revenue streams.

M$ will release their system no later than 1 year after the PS4/Orbis.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
I'm still holding out hope that Nintendo will wow us at some point.  The majority of games that have been announced have been western games.  Maybe they are holding onto the 3rd party Japanese games for their own conference in Japan to show those games.

But what are the odds those Japanese games will come over to these shores? Let's not forget it took Operation Rainfall fighting tooth and nail to give us Last Story and Xenoblade. Will the same have to be done for Japanese Wii U games?
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
There is no new Xbox or PlayStation console this year. End of story.

/thread dead

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
There is no new Xbox or PlayStation console this year. End of story.

/thread dead
Why would the thread be dead? If anything it should have been renamed months ago when I was told that PS4/X720 won't hit till end of 2013 and then again when Sony and MS both said they wouldn' be announcing any new hardware this year at E3.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:24:41 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I think Sony will still keep waiting and seeing at next year's E3, but have something ready to go, just in case. MS might make an announcement though. They seem to be experimenting with what they want to do with their next console.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
I'm still holding out hope that Nintendo will wow us at some point.  The majority of games that have been announced have been western games.

There's a reason for that, Western games sell better than Japanese ones. Nintendo is an exception because they place so much emphasis on family fun, and Mario is a universal icon. If Nintendo was like any other Japanese publisher, their games would be ignored in a sea of Western shooters.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Microsoft wants to go full blown set top box for their next console. The whole living room technology is in transition right now, so they either try to set the new standard or hold off and react to Google, Apple, Nintendo, Sony and whoever else wants to control the living room.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
If Nintendo would've waiting to show the Wii U until this year, they would've run the risk of MS showing off their **** first. And let's not forget the number of leaks we got about the controller. The cat would've been out of the bag had they waited. Plus, they wouldn't have **** to show in 2011. I mean, aside from the dozens of Wii games we got.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
If Nintendo would've waiting to show the Wii U until this year, they would've run the risk of MS showing off their **** first. And let's not forget the number of leaks we got about the controller. The cat would've been out of the bag had they waited. Plus, they wouldn't have **** to show in 2011. I mean, aside from the dozens of Wii games we got.

I don't think who shows their system off first is really important. Whoever launches first is what really matters... showing off first means nothing if the product is vaporware or won't launch until sometime way into the future. Duke Nukem Forever "showed off first" way back in the 90s, and what good did that do?

I agree with you that they needed to have something to show off at E3 2011, though. If I was running Nintendo I would have pushed Xenoblade Chronicles and the other Operation Rainfall games at E3 2011. Then again, if I was running Nintendo I would make a lot more of an effort to ensure there is no content droughts so that I don't even need to grasp at straws to fill a void.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:45:28 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Duke Nukem Forever had a LOT of things going wrong for it. And showing first matters more than launching first. If I show off some crazy, new innovative feature, then other companies are going to need time to imitate it. The less time they take, the shittier it'll look next to the genuine article. So, showing first almost guarantees I'll launch first unless I hit some serious delays.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
Duke Nukem Forever had a LOT of things going wrong for it. And showing first matters more than launching first. If I show off some crazy, new innovative feature, then other companies are going to need time to imitate it. The less time they take, the shittier it'll look next to the genuine article. So, showing first almost guarantees I'll launch first unless I hit some serious delays.

Duke Nukem's problem is that the developers (3D Realms) took forever to make it, and they were hit with a ton of debt during the game's development. This caused them to repeatedly shelve the game. It wasn't until Gearbox offered to pick up the IP that the game finally got finished. But then Gearbox tried to put their own spin on what 3D Realms had created. This resulted in a disjointed game.

It's very similar to what happened with Too Human. Though I really don't believe that Silicon Knights was developing that game back in the PS1 era. People would have known about it back then.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Cool story, bro.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
I don't know what Microsoft needs to do to get me back on their side, but their brand of exclusives, Kinect, and paying for XBL aren't helping. I hope they show something less shooty and race-y and step outside their comfort zone.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop

Duke Nukem's problem is that the developers (3D Realms) took forever to make it, and they were hit with a ton of debt during the game's development. This caused them to repeatedly shelve the game. It wasn't until Gearbox offered to pick up the IP that the game finally got finished. But then Gearbox tried to put their own spin on what 3D Realms had created. This resulted in a disjointed game.

It didn't help that every time a new game engine was released, they would start over on the new engine.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20