Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3140782 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #8450 on: January 10, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
I’m having trouble understanding what is gained from the cellphone approach. Research and development, marketing, manufacturing etc. all cost money. Is this something anyone really wants from a video gaming device? Look, I’ll upgrade because I like Nintendo games and things. I’ll cop to that, but I also consider myself an outlier in that sense. If I had kids or other major financial responsibilities, I probably couldn’t afford it.

That said, there’s only one place to get Nintendo games therefore switching to PC isn’t an option so if any company can pull off such a bold shift in hardware release strategy, it’s Nintendo. I have my doubts it actually will.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8451 on: January 10, 2020, 07:53:55 PM »
R&D costs money, yes, but it costs money Nintendo is constantly spending.  It makes sense to keep your R&D team fully intact between generations than try to hire a bunch of people to design your next system, when you're ready.  If you're going to have those people around, they need to work on something and you have to sell that something, otherwise you're just spending cash to no benefit.

The different model approach definitely leads to more sales.  When the Switch came out, there were people who thought "That's too expensive and I'd only want to play on the go", and the Lite sells to those people.  There's people now that thing "Well, the Switch is cool, but seeing those resolution dips/frame rate drops turns me off", and a Pro would pull in those people.  Not to mention that you also get double dippers.

Further, dropping a new version, or even having rumours, gives your product some social cache.  The media will run stories, which is free publicity, which keeps your product at the top of peoples' minds. 

I could see a full cellphone model working, but the systems would have to be 3/4 years apart, where only two "waves" are supported.  But that assumes Nintendo wouldn't have some other hook for their next generation of consoles.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: January 10, 2020, 07:54:04 PM »
PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro released close together and I didn't hear a lot of kerfuffle about it.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: January 10, 2020, 08:11:45 PM »
PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro released close together and I didn't hear a lot of kerfuffle about it.

Because people generally didn't buy either of them. lololololololololol
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8454 on: January 11, 2020, 08:58:45 AM »
Different beast.  PS4 Slim was just a PS4 release model.  PS4 Pro was launched longer into the life of the PS4.  But I do remember people wondering if it was necessary, and the trust is, it wasn't.  PS4 Pro didn't extend the life of the PS4 brand or a Switch Pro won't either.  The best thing Nintendo can do moving forward is to just make sure download games and accounts will always be backwards compatible and try to support a system for as long as it is feasibly profitable to do so.  Wii U was a failure so ending that generation early made sense.  But the Switch is a success and people are not worried about it's power, so keep it going for another year or 2 before releasing a Pro....or never release the Pro and when the PS5 drops just drop the Switch price to be like super affordable.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: January 11, 2020, 03:52:27 PM »
I’ve been meaning to post a new poll/thread asking if you fine people think Nintendo should release a Pro soon or wait to launch a successor. Unfortunately, I have been too lazy.

Releasing an enhanced Switch revision fits into what Iwata said way back about NX:
Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.
The plan: Regularly release new form factors then eventually phase out the older ones. I don’t know if that’s going to work in the video game hardware space because these are specialized devices. Smartphones are used all day, every day in a variety of ways.

Switch Lite has a specific use case: Parents can buy all their wiener kids a “cheap” Switch. It’s much easier to understand Switch Lite’s place on store shelves. I don’t know what the market is for a “Pro” revision since it will be a half-step more powerful than the OG Switch yet still lag behind PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X/PC in terms of hardware power. If it’s powerful enough to get some ports, maybe I can see it’s worth if I squint though most of the Switch audience will remain on the standard chipset. Still seems unnecessary and Nintendo not done well justifying the existence of such revisions in the past. I suppose it depends on just how powerful a “Pro” revision is. The modest spec bumps of DSi/New 3DS won’t cut it.

You have to factor in that as time goes on technology gets cheaper. OG Switch price drops while new switch becomes the price of old switch. Tech prices are all half a sham too. Upgrading chips doesn't really cost nvidia other than research cost. The actual material cost is going to be similar. I am sure nvidia has recouped the research cost many times over and could provide huge leaps at low cost for Nintendo.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: March 13, 2021, 04:59:14 PM »
So what's the word on all this Switch+ mid gen refresh talk?

4k on the dock? 720p on the go? new OLED screens?

and Nvidia hiring for development tools programmers for "Next Generation of Console Gaming" which means Super Switch in development?

Someone give me a breakdown summary!!!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: March 14, 2021, 05:48:42 PM »
But the Switch... ...people are not worried about it's power,
That aged well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: March 16, 2021, 08:14:24 PM »
Well back when Switch was coming out we were torn whether Ninvidiado would go with X1 or X2. Now we should wonder if they will go with X2 or Xavier.

I predict X2 with a ram upgrade.

Or they might hit the industry jugular with a 16 GB T194. Nintendo already made the form factor of a Switch cheap, a better screen and a T194 and then it's truly next gen. How does modern SD card and Switch cart badwidth performance compare to the ps5 hard drive?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8459 on: March 17, 2021, 01:38:43 AM »
But the Switch... ...people are not worried about it's power,
That aged well.

Seeing that the Switch is still selling, I standby that statement.  Yes, developers will complain when they don't want to put the normal work to optimize a game for a system...something that used to just be standard practice.  But it is still doing well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8460 on: October 13, 2021, 03:30:09 AM »
So, at this point Metroid Prime 4 is going to be a launch title for the next hardware isn't it?  If it comes out at all.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: October 13, 2021, 09:00:52 AM »
So, at this point Metroid Prime 4 is going to be a launch title for the next hardware isn't it?  If it comes out at all.

The game rebooted development end of 2018 which is only 3 years ago.  New hardware isn't coming out until at least late 2023 so there's still plenty of time to hit the Switch.  Worst case scenario is it ends up being cross-gen like Breath of the Wild.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: October 13, 2021, 06:21:11 PM »
You think late 2023? Switch came out on March 3rd. I'm not sure Nintendo cares about releasing everything in the Winter anymore.

because Switch has been out for 4 years I think branding is now a sort of issue. The Wii was very popular, but had dropped off tremendously by the last years. When Wii U came out there was brand confusion as everyone thought it was an addon and not a system itself.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 03:10:54 PM by ThePerm »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: October 13, 2021, 09:18:17 PM »
Nintendo wasn't in a position of strength when the Switch launched. The Wii U had been dead for a while at that point and they needed to replace it as soon as possible. The Switch is still going strong, and barring a sudden drop off Nintendo should be able to launch its successor on their own terms. All things being equal I think they would prefer to launch new hardware in the holiday window.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: October 14, 2021, 03:39:28 PM »
There is also the Golden week holiday in Japan. April 29-May 5th.

March 3 was when Switch Launched. (Friday)
March 4 was when Playstation 2 Launched  (Saturday)
February 26 was when 3ds Launched. (Saturday)

If Nintendo follows the same strategy they did in 2016-2017 they can just repeat it. Announce it in October 20, 2022 and release it on March 3, 2023. Which, would be the 6th year anniversary of Switch.

NES(Famicom) and SNES -  7 years, 4 months, 6 days
SNES and N64 - 5 years, 7 months, 2 days
N64 and GCN -  5 years, 2 months, 22 days
GCN and Wii -  5 years, 2 months, 5 days
Wii and Wii U -  5 years, 11 months, 30 days
Wii U and Switch -  4 years, 3 months, 13 days

Switch release through today - 4 years, 7 months, 11 days

November 2022 is 5 years 8 months.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 03:47:40 PM by ThePerm »

Offline brewmaxwell649

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: November 06, 2021, 04:15:06 AM »
There's no guarantee of a large media drive for Wii either; it was only said to be possible due to the USB slot.
Mobdro Vip
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 08:24:57 AM by brewmaxwell649 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: November 12, 2021, 12:52:46 PM »
There's no guarantee of a large media drive for Wii either; it was only said to be possible due to the USB slot.
Mobdro Vip

Is this some sort of AI?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: November 12, 2021, 07:15:40 PM »
Looks like it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: November 12, 2021, 07:33:33 PM »
It's a spambot which copies something from a previous post in a thread, in this case it's:

Playing CD based games off a memory card = ass.  Those things are too slow.

Meh, this is why I don't like rumor discussions.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: November 13, 2021, 01:19:05 AM »
Rumor: Switch 2 cpu core has gone semi-sentient triggering judgment day soon.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8470 on: September 08, 2023, 04:01:07 AM »
I couldn't find the Switch 2 thread, and didn't feel like creating a new one, so I'll just bump this instead.

https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-demoed-switch-2-to-developers-at-gamescom

Apparently Switch 2 was demo'd using BotW remastered as a showcase.
Dev Kits are out and we can expect this to happen sometime next year.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #8471 on: September 08, 2023, 11:11:01 AM »
I couldn't find the Switch 2 thread, and didn't feel like creating a new one, so I'll just bump this instead.

I found this topic: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=65290.0

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: September 08, 2023, 05:33:19 PM »
*Slaps hood* this baby can fit so many teraflops…
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: September 10, 2023, 02:21:20 PM »

I found this topic: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=65290.0

We'll just use this one for now, as it's all still rumors, not facts, and this thread has the most recent update.

But I forgot to share this part....
https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1699745957972160739?s=20

Another VGC source claimed that Nintendo showcased Epic's impressive The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo – originally released to showcase the power of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X in 2021 – running on target specs for its next console.
[...]
The demo is said to have been running using Nvidia's DLSS upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals comparable to Sony's and Microsoft's current-gen consoles (however, it should be noted this does not mean the Switch successor will sport raw power anywhere near that of PS5 or Xbox Series X, which aren't portable devices).
[...]
DLSS (deep learning super sampling) is a feature exclusive to Nvidia graphics cards. On PC, it works by using AI to upscale the resolution of games, effectively allowing developers to achieve higher graphical settings and better frame rates on weaker hardware. According to Digital Foundry analysis, DLSS at any normal screen distance "looks almost as good as the real thing."

and this is the demo from 2 years ago for the PS55 and XBX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0gvPcc3jQ

All I gotta say is that regardless of if they actually hit that mark, the future looks bright if we getting UE5 support out the gate.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: September 11, 2023, 08:17:36 PM »
Guess it is a blessing in disguise that I am jobless and broke. I wa splanning to buy the TotK Switch and can't now. So by the time I have the cash to splurge on a new console Switch 2 may be coming.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast