Author Topic: DS vs PSP....devs and journalists debate  (Read 17914 times)

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
DS vs PSP....devs and journalists debate
« on: August 17, 2004, 10:01:34 PM »
Over at GCAdvanced they have a huge article with statements from various developers, and journalists (including PGC Master Johnny Metts) on the upcoming battle on DS vs PSP.  Its a little lengthy but a very good read.

DS vs PSP  
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: DS vs PSP....devs and journalists debate
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 02:58:42 AM »
I thought the "The Big Picture" segment at the start was a complete waste of my time. Just quotes grabbed from the other two segments (which made the other now-half-read segments harder to pay attention to), tossed together between not-so-clear editorial comments. Which didn't even seem to touch on any of the "major" issues. I'd suggest that people skip it, at least until you're done the other segments.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, in case the writer of that piece is lurking in here. I'm just being blunt.

The "Developer Roundtable" was "pretty good". But it'd have been better if I had cared anything about those particular developers.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, in case the developers are lurking in here. I'm just being blunt. Again.

I haven't read it yet, but I'm hoping/expecting that the "Journalists Unite" segment is going to be better, as I usually find guys like Jonny Metts and Steven Kent interesting.

Sorry IGN reporters. You just suck. ... ... ... What are you looking at? You really do suck.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:DS vs PSP....devs and journalists debate
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:28:24 AM »
They did one of these a while back probably like last month or the month B4

And if I didn't know any better I would say that this is that same one only updated w/ pics

therefore nmaking it about a month or so old

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 10:55:52 AM »
This one is new with different questions and some different people.  The previous one, done back in April,  was on the handheld industry in general including other platforms liken-gage, tapwave, and zodiac.  This one just focuses on DS and PSP.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 10:20:17 AM »
do you really think that the ds has a chance to succeed....i hope it does, but i smell a slow start.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 11:27:39 AM »
It's a Nintendo handheld...That's all you need to know...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 07:06:43 PM »
that's what everyone said before the PS1, minus handheld and insert console.

Nevermind about that though, I think both will succeed with different markets.  I'd say it will be close like the closeness of the GC vs XB and their tie in ratios as well.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 06:42:08 PM »
won't be that close, it'll be like PS2 and dreamcast.  They'll both be alive for a small time but one of them is going to get blown out.  Going against my better judgement I see it being sony.  I don't think they have the ability to control both markets and will find that there's more money with consoles and quit after psps lifespan when the new gameboy is announced.

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 06:27:51 AM »
Agree!

Sony can´t beat Nintendo on the pure content of the games. They never will be able to. We´ve seen over the past, say, 5 years, how many games came out on the Ps2, and how few of those could compete with Nintendo´s own. Here I mostly refer to platformers, as there are hardly any driving or fighting games on the GCN, but many of them on Ps2. So it will mostly be the same thing on the PSP. It will boast some neat videostreaming features, direct dvd-viewing etc. But that´s got nothing to do with games!

Nintendo keeps their focus on the games, which makes the NDS far more in line with what this is all about: playing games on the go! People already got mp3 and dvd-players at home (not to mention how much the latest mobilephones have of said functions too!), and therefore I think it will be limited what impact those features will have on the overall competitive situation long-term. Then, all it comes down to, is what games the PSP will have, which will be probably as many as will be found on the NDS. Mostly driving games, shooting games and fighting games. But they´re all going to be yesteryear software, whereas Nintendo´s little mobile wonder will be all about new and exciting software which then is the clear winner (the marketstagnation which Miyamoto always talks about, proves that people are tired of samey games, and the PSP will be full of them!!!!!).

Short-term, yes, there will be people who will look on the extra PSP functions. But that´s it! After a while, the genious of the NDS will shine through, and overshadow Sony which will be overtaken eventually in sales by Nintendo.

If anybody is going to sink to hell, it´s going to be Sony! Allthough I don´t wish it for any of them!  
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 06:43:51 AM »
I think it's going to be a nice competition!  I predict DS will take the majority of the marketshare, but I also think PSP will get enough to be successful.  It will also probably generate a larger adult market.

I personally hope for Sony to have just slight success... enough to force Nintendo to be more competitive with it's handheld product but not enough to be considered much of a success for Sony.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ness_the_Mess

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2004, 06:24:53 PM »
I think an interesting point was made; what adult will need a PSP/DS?  The main market, by far, will be <18.  And that means Nintendo wins.  PSP is better for watching movies ... ok.  So what?  Who will pay 25 bucks for a psp movie that doesn't work when they want to watch it on their tv?

The one thing I see the PSP has going for it:  I would like to bet that the PS3 will play PSP games.  I don't think that will happen with the DS/N5.  However, the DS already will have a couple thousand games for it.

So, in conclusion, if you have lots of money and want to play console games while you're walking around, get PSP.  If you want to play fun games, get DS.

No, I am not a nintendo fanboy.  This is just my very honest opinion.
EarfBOWND

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 06:51:07 PM »
Fun games.  Darkstalker, KOF millenium match.  2D fighters are going to PSP, and those two games alone have me sold.  While DS has more going for it now ($$$$$$) and I will buy it nov 21. Next christmas time there will be more fighting games out for PSP and that's all I need.  Handhelds are great for fighting games, you don't need a huge attention span for fighting games.  I don't see any fighting games for DS coming soon so I can't fully back it yet.  

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 07:24:41 PM »
I'm going to wait on the DS, I won't even be able to buy a portion of the games I want for consoles I own, this year.  And next year is loaded too.  After seeing TGS and the report about the games not shown at TGS for the PSP too, I'm sold on the PSP, even if the battery life sucks, it has game's I'd play at home.  It's got the 2d fighters, franchises I love (HSG, GT, ATV OF, MG), and it looks like it's going to be the home of many awesome 2d rpg's, as long as they come out here.  And on top of that I don't have an mp3 player and don't feel like paying big bucks for one that only does just that, so now that mp3 compatability is confirmed, that's the icing on the cake for me.  I'm also into online games and PSP already has online games being made for it, I dunno if the DS ever will.  I will buy the DS eventually though.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 07:51:10 PM »
heh, Nothing shown yet sold on a product that plays the same games at home...? " Blasphemy"

You'll see rpg's out the ying yang for DS. You do realise that in order to have the MP3 part, you will need to buy sony's memory sticks. heh expensive, let alone that $300-$400 price on PSP.

I rather have something original  
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2004, 09:41:23 PM »
joe: I think you could just as well buy a PS2, then. Most of those games are probably on the PS2 as well. Okay, SCEA might block them, but who says they won't do the same with the PSP?

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »
I guess you guys didn't read much about TGS then.  And funny how you list the PSP to cost between $300-$400.  And big deal you might have to buy a sony memory stick, that's like complaining about memory cards for consoles...

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2004, 09:12:34 AM »
I just  read a lot of *RUMORS* about developers already complaining about the PSP, supposedly there are very strict regulations on how to use the processor and how much disc-spin there can be due to the overwhelming load of crap that is the battery.  It goes so far as to say that processor performance may even decrease due to this.  How can you play an in-depth RPG, how can you watch a decent-length movie if the battery dies after 2 hours?  Let alone trying to watch any of the Lord of the Rings movies, or even worse, their extended editions! (ROTK:EE has a running time of over 4 hours!)

2-4 hour battery life is the current prediction
349.99 is the current price predition

My money is going to the DS, and im not just a Nintendo fan boy anymore, I own all 3 current generation systems.

-Blue
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2004, 09:41:50 AM »
"And big deal you might have to buy a sony memory stick, that's like complaining about memory cards for consoles..."

But the PSP is a HANDHELD...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2004, 09:49:09 AM »

Originally posted by: joeamis
I guess you guys didn't read much about TGS then.  And funny how you list the PSP to cost between $300-$400.  And big deal you might have to buy a sony memory stick, that's like complaining about memory cards for consoles...

Heh that may be, but none of my memory cards cost over 30 dollars. and this is a friggin handheld not a console.

It's not funny how "we" list the PSP, it's about accurate, you'll see
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2004, 01:08:12 PM »
Personally, I think the PSP is almost TOO powerful for a handheld...it's almost overkill.  The DS is bound to have shorter and less-involved games, and I don't mind that for on-the-go gaming.

PSP is hot though.  That screen is awesome.  Price point will be big...I think when the DS was announced at $149.99, a lot of people jumped on its bandwagon.  If the PSP price point is too high, you might see a lot of people jumping off its bandwagon.

Even if PSP is cheaper than $349.99, it still won't include the pack-ins that the DS has (Pictochat, Metroid Demo).  DS is one hell of a deal for $149.99.  On top of that, the DS has that buzz factor that's really intrigued the public.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2004, 05:24:22 PM »
i don't know if u noticed joe but this is kind of a ds forum and, and most of us love nintendo (but sega's my favorite!)
Banned

Offline Garnia

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2004, 01:45:09 PM »
 Cool avatar! Sanosuke, my fave character from Kenshin! but anyway! I think that the DS is way better than the PSP! Not only becuz I am a Nintendo fan, but because I think that the PSP is just gonna be another system with good graphics, but nothing overly special about it. I don't think that it is innovative enough. Just my personal opinion though.....

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2004, 03:22:00 PM »
PSP has Fighting games, DS doesn't. Sure DS has a lot of innovative features, but I'm afraid that developers might feel intimidated later on in its life cycle when they can't think of new features.  The press will give their games crap ratings because it doesn't innovate like the games did two years prior.  Also the DS doesn't have fighting games.  The two screens are cool, but some games are a little harder to play on two screens, one would be better for a lot of games (figting games and some shooters) and developers won't make those games for DS if it only uses one screen because everyone will flip out because it doesn't use all the features.

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2004, 03:39:13 PM »
Garnia, you can find some cool avatars at www.dragid.com, well actually aim buddy icons but still. i don't really think anyone will flip for a game not using all the ds features (super mario 64 x 4 would be great even without multiplayer). who says they couldn't make good fighting games for the ds, what about the rumored sould caliber, lets see how that does.
Banned

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2004, 09:15:20 PM »
I hope Ninty makes it clear that you are nin no way required to use all the functionality of the DS. But then if it doesn't need the DS you could make it for the GBA, add a WLAN feature for DS usage and reach all of the GBA and DS owners...