Author Topic: So any tips for someone playing through Persona 4 for the first time?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Playing Persona 4 Golden for the first time. Welcome to the (red) velvet room.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: So any tips for someone playing through Persona 4 for the first time?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 08:20:19 PM »
It may be irritating at first, but prioritizing the Hermit Arcana's sidequests (aka "the fox") when you're deciding Social Link time is generally a good time investment. The reason for this is that the fox eventually travels with you into the TV dungeons, allowing you to spend your cash to get a full HP/SP restore across your entire part. The higher your Social Link with him, the better the discount. This will quickly allow you to clear story dungeons in one day, freeing up days to let you focus on your other social links.

Honestly, the version of P4 I played through was the original, and it had an amazing strategy guide that is totally irrelevant now for Golden. It played out like a TV guide, making recommendations on what you could do to best use your time, but overall just giving you a layout of who was available on what days so you could best plan out your time without actually spoiling you on the plot.

Also in regards to social links, don't neglect your school social links. They're only available when school is in session, which is a problem when you have long periods where school is out of session like the Summer.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 09:28:42 PM »
You'll have at least sixteen save slots; don't be afraid to use them all if you're aiming for maxing all the social links on one playthrough.

What difficulty are you playing on for the combat portions, btw?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 12:30:52 PM »
Don’t.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 07:19:29 PM »
I'm just going to assume that Dojima is the one killing everyone and probably turn out to be horribly wrong. I'm at the point where the game starts to let you off of it's linear leash and stops basically deciding your days for you which would be overwhelming if I were trying to 100% the game on my first playthrough so I'm happy I decided against that. Also Chie is best girl.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
I'm just going to assume that Dojima is the one killing everyone and probably turn out to be horribly wrong. I'm at the point where the game starts to let you off of it's linear leash and stops basically deciding your days for you which would be overwhelming if I were trying to 100% the game on my first playthrough so I'm happy I decided against that. Also Chie is best girl.

I think you've gotten farther in it than I have, but agreed.  Chie (and the starting characters you interact with) are immediately likeable, one of the things I think Persona 4 nails better than 5.  Ryuji in 5 is grating at first even though you come to find maybe he's more misunderstood than anything as it goes along.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 07:44:34 PM »
Wow so you ask for advice and then you just go and don't listen to me? SMDH
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 08:35:48 PM »
I had already started the game when I posted this thread so it was too late to follow that bit of advice.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 06:57:41 PM »
Both my main guy and Yusuke have healing abilities which is really overpowered right now as far as dungeon exploration and grinding are concerned.