Author Topic: Link's Awakening version differences and can I get an opinion?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline SpiritMask

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Link's Awakening version differences and can I get an opinion?
« on: January 08, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »
A group of friends and I are discussing doing a Link's Awakening sort of retrospective-style group playthrough, but we are not settled on which version, or if we would get a similar experience if we played different versions. I've only ever played DX, and the others have not played any of them.

How different are they, really? And would we be too out of sync if some of us played the GB/GBC and others played the Switch version? Is the Switch version just like a fresh coat of paint?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Link's Awakening version differences and can I get an opinion?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 04:58:08 PM »
I've only played the GB version so I can only speak to that but from what I have seen from the Switch version from Let's Plays/streams of the game they are pretty similar and I think the main addition to the Switch version is the dungeon creator.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 06:02:09 PM »
I have played the original and the DX version.  If you are going to play the retro game, go for the DX version as it adds 1 dungeon and is just a better experience with the color and presentation. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 06:15:04 PM »
I’ve played the original, DX, and the remake. Link’s Awakening DX is the definitive version of the original. It added some color, an optional dungeon, and made the ending less implicit. That said, for your retrospective group playthrough, I recommend DX, or original/DX depending on what your group has access to. I don’t think anything is truly lost if some play the original and some play DX.

The remake is a significantly different experience despite the map and dungeons being the same. It’s fine if that’s what y’all have though the extras don’t make the game better. In fact, while optional, I felt the additional collectibles messed with the pacing. The “Chamber Dungeons” are not that fun. You have to create some to 100% the game, and they felt like a hassle more than anything. That said, Link’s Awakening/DX was pretty much perfect for the time/platform. The remake plays and feels like a 1993 game just without the charm and significance of the original. If you can, definitely play the original/DX.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 06:38:34 PM »
Downloading the GBC version on 3DS is the best option, I would say.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 09:45:36 PM »
Why not split it up and have some play the OG/DX and some play the newer version?

I'm partial to the original vs the DX remake due to nostalgia and the fact it has no real missable items and can be 100% completed without making an... unfavorable game-altering decision.  However, the DX Version is, obviously, easier to obtain and play (legally, of course) on a modern system.  It's still a great game, either way you pick.

As for the GB vs Switch debate... I don't want to let my nostalgia cloud my opinion, but I do pick the original over the remake.  The dungeon maker is bland due to limitations on the design and is a bit of a disapointment, IMHO.  It's kinda fun to make 'boss rush's dungeons, but by the time all the chamber stones are unlocked, you're so overpowered that battling the Tail Cave boss again is just pointless.  The number of heart containers and secret seashells have been expanded (and chamber stones added) to the point where collecting everything starts to be less fun and more of a chore.  There are several great design choices - the overall redesign of the Trendy Game was nice (although the added statues seemed like pointless filler that added nothing to the game), the ability to warp to warp points with the Ocarina eliminated some backtracking (although with the small map, it wasn't really necessary).  I love the art design and music choices for the remake.  The elimination of that game-altering sidequest was welcome and it eliminated any missable aspects.

Any of the three versions are perfectly fine - but for your friends who have never played one before, consider - have half of them play a GB version, then the Switch version and have the other half play the Switch release, then one of the GB versions.  It'd be interesting to see the conversation of which version is better.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline SpiritMask

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 01:09:23 AM »
Lots of good input. It seems, based on the feedback I'm reading here, than Nintendo felt the need to add some fluff to the Switch remake in order to make it seem more justified than a simple visual/audio overhaul would have been, especially at that ridiculous price point. Yet they also felt a conviction to stay so true to the original vision that the additions are sort of half assed so as not to stray from it too far. This alone pushes me toward the DX version.

But yeah, I can see the value of playing a mix of different versions and letting that add to the discussion. Thanks everyone for your two cents.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 01:51:17 PM »
I believe the one version lets you catch Bellsprout while the other version lets you catch Oddish.

Offline SpiritMask

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »
I believe the one version lets you catch Bellsprout while the other version lets you catch Oddish.

Yes, I remember now, and one version shows real blood when you uppercut your opponent but the other has sweat instead. Heh, 90s games, am I right?