Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3140839 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4825 on: September 07, 2011, 12:17:35 AM »
If something pleases you, you two won't post about it.

I can't speak for Ian on this, but that's definitely not true for me.  Next time, do your research.  There are plenty of posts by me on this site praising various things, especially games; movies; and TV series.  That's all I think I need to say on that matter.

In fact, in the last year I think you guys combined have only posted maybe 3 positive things you like about anything related to video games that wasn't a review (btw, what does that say?)

I like to write mini-reviews once I've completed a game, movie, TV series, etc. critiquing what they do or don't do well.  It's a hobby of mine, and I don't particularly care if you like it or not.  When I'm not playing or writing about games I played, I don't tend to post much.  That's "what it says".

On the flip-side though, if something displeases you, which is most if not all of the time, you'll voice your opinion in a lengthy, repetitiousness form spanning several threads that are similar or even vaguely similar.

This one goes much more for Ian than it does for me, and I'll leave that to him to defend.  Sure, if I don't like something I'll post about it, but stating it a couple of times more than suffices for most things, so I don't see the point in badgering it.  As for the length, true criticism requires words, a concept that may be foreign to you in a world where 150 characters is considered "wordy".  I tend to ramble a little bit if I get particularly riled-up or want to discuss something in-depth, but I'd rather have too much information than too little.

Then when someone calls you out, you get pissed. Just like you did right now.

Sorry, but to piss me off you'd have to write something that does more than mildly amuse me, and frankly I don't think you possess that capability.

Arguing something that is only vague and hasn't become a real product is even weaker. But most of all, arguing something that has no precedence is the weakest.

No, there was certainly precedence: Japan has become increasingly obsessed with their handhelds, and at least two notable Japanese console role-playing games have migrated to handhelds, where they seemingly will remain for the foreseeable future (Valkyria Chronicles and Kingdom Hearts).  As for arguing over things that may or may not exist, welcome to the Internet and welcome to the rumors thread.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 01:16:06 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4826 on: September 07, 2011, 12:20:28 AM »
I wouldn't call Valkyria Chronicles notable.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: September 07, 2011, 12:21:48 AM »
I wouldn't call Valkyria Chronicles notable.

It is when you consider how weak the RPG genre has been this generation.  It's certainly one of the highest-rated RPGs this generation, it's innovative, it's gorgeous, and it's a blast to play despite a few issues with game balancing.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4828 on: September 07, 2011, 12:26:53 AM »
Yeah, but it tanked in sales (I think even in Japan).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: September 07, 2011, 12:30:05 AM »
Yeah, but it tanked in sales (I think even in Japan).

*shrugs*

It did alright in Japan, enough to spawn its own anime; 2 sequels; and for Sega to bring over the first two games in the series.  I suspect the first game didn't do well over here due to Sega deciding to release it in the Fall to get buried in the usual holiday games barrage, and the 2nd game was on the PSP (which relatively few people play outside of Japan).  I think the series has unfortunately been a victim of being released in NA by Sega (who can't seem to get anything right these past few years except selling Sonic games), which shouldn't be a strike against what's a very good game.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:38:22 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4830 on: September 07, 2011, 01:18:49 AM »
It's official.  There is a cradle add-on for the 3ds that has an extra slide pad.

There are scans of Famitsu with pictures.  Looks clunky as hell and extends the right end of the 3ds by a couple of inches. :'(

That might actually make it comfortable to hold now. I might look into just for the added grip.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4831 on: September 07, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »
The 3DS is already fine to me, this makes it look like it would be bulky and less comfortable.

Assuming the pic is not fake (there have been fake Famitsu screens before), I hope it's just designed for this game.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: September 07, 2011, 01:28:08 AM »
Here's a crazy thought... what if this doubles... as a secondary battery...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4833 on: September 07, 2011, 01:31:14 AM »
Well hopefully it does, because it's going to need a battery anyway for communication with the 3DS.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: September 07, 2011, 01:31:53 AM »
It's possible, but in those pics, I don't see anywhere where it connects to the 3DS. It doesn't connect to the battery compartment, and it doesn't cover the AC port. Instead, it covers the IR, stylus, and game card slot. That's a part of the reason why it seems fake to me, although it could be a device designed by CapCom just for Monster Hunter. That also may be why I don't see a 3DS logo on it (though it's kind of blurry and hard to see the print).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: September 07, 2011, 01:32:50 AM »
That's what I was thinking... it needs to be powered somehow...

Such a thing would solve two of the big 3DS complaints (2nd slide pad and battery life) without completely screwing over the early adopters.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: September 07, 2011, 01:34:57 AM »
My biggest complaint is that it's a handheld. *rimshot*

If Nintendo wanted to solve those complaints, they would have put that stuff in the original 3DS. Although maybe they thought it would sell better and they could introduce a redesign with that stuff a few years later, but are now moving that up due to slow sales.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4837 on: September 07, 2011, 01:39:56 AM »
Maybe it doesn't matter that the Wi-Fi switch is blocked because they're using wireless for communication.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: September 07, 2011, 01:43:42 AM »
The 3DSds would be pretty sweet though.

3DSdualstick that its.

As long as I can transfer my ambassador games (if I still care about them at that point in time) to the new system, then I will be a happy camper.

a 3DSdsXL would be better though.
4.3" 3D screen
4" touch screen
d ouble the battery size and triple the battery life
inward & outward facing 3D cameras
dual sliders
moved power buttons
better home/select/start buttons
slightly bigger buttons
thicker longer stylus
More RAM, more FlashMem
$199.99 price point

whoah.... think I was getting a little carried away there.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: September 07, 2011, 03:03:48 AM »
This is defamation of character...

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: September 07, 2011, 03:50:10 AM »
That is the most hideous abomination I have ever seen.  I will most certainly wait for a proper revision now if that thing is going to become standard.  I don't care what games come out for it in the mean time.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: September 07, 2011, 06:44:32 AM »
I was right about the slide pad! No one on here believed it and thought it wasn't going to happen, but what do you all have to say now? That's twice I was right because I also predicted the price cut and no one believed me then either.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:47:29 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4842 on: September 07, 2011, 07:11:32 AM »
It's times like this I wish accessories could be regionlocked.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: September 07, 2011, 11:03:59 AM »
That is the most hideous abomination I have ever seen.  I will most certainly wait for a proper revision now if that thing is going to become standard.  I don't care what games come out for it in the mean time.

This 100%. That has to be the ugliest thing ever, it just looks silly, a tacked on piece of junk. I will NOT buy that thing, I will just wait for the 3DSlite, and hopefully it actually looks like a brand new hand held. I even liked the look of the purple gamecube...
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: September 07, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »
I <3 Nintendo fans.

We know virtually nothing about this.  We don't know who made it, we don't know if it'll be used beyond one game, we don't know hardly anything about it, we barely know what it looks like, aside from a single scan that may or may not even be a prototype version... hell, we don't even know if this'll get released in the US... yet we're all ready to boycott Nintendo over it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4845 on: September 07, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »
yet we're all ready to boycott Nintendo over it.

I would only boycott Nintendo if they DON'T release it here.

I don't understand everyone's hatred over it. It makes the 3DS an even better and more capable system by adding new features which can make certain types of games possible. What reason is there to hate or fear it?
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: September 07, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
I understand why people don't like it. The add-on looks like ass and makes 3DS far less portable. The second slide pad should have been part of the original design making the peripheral nothing more than a duct tape job to a shortcoming everyone saw coming a mile away. This same problem was the number 1 thing people hated about PSP. Nintendo should have known better or they did and figured they would do it anyway to save a few cents per unit.

But...

That's all water under the bridge now and the peripheral is what we have. No one is forced to buy it nor should anyone feel obligated to especially since the game it's supposedly packaged with is an enhanced port of a game anyone could have bought a year and a half ago. It's certainly ugly and I will most likely not buy one but I'm okay with it existing. I bought a 3DS knowing that this was a possibility and 100 times out of 100, I would have taken the savings and free games.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 11:25:49 AM by Adrock »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: September 07, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »
It's not like this is a new game going in a completely new direction than it's former titles. When things like that happen I am always the first to give it a chance. This looks absolutely terrible design wise, and just turns the 3DS into a hulking device. I'm not worried about comfort or functionality if it's made by Nintendo, but it completely takes away the sleek factor of the 3DS and makes it look like it's from the early 90's. 

The only good thing that comes from it is that I know the redesigned 3DS will have it built in.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: September 07, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
I'm curious to see how much they are charging for this glorified piece of electrical tape.  It should be free.  It isn't like this is something Nintendo couldn't have seen.  Nintendo stuffed up.  If this thing becomes the standard, then Nintendo should be coughing up to pay for their mistake.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: September 07, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »
Interesting to hear that some people don't see any difference when playing DS games on their 3DS. It doesn't look bad, but there clearly is some stretching taking place to make the image fit on the nicer 3DS screens. Try playing a game in the original resolution (hold select when starting) and you might be surprised to see what a big difference it makes.

Doesn't mean that DS games can't be played - there is no problem in that regard - but they might look or feel a bit odd. Personally I'd rather play DS games on my old DS Lite because they simply look better (at least a little bit) with the system they were designed for.
NNID: ejamer