Author Topic: What Next Gen Console will you get?  (Read 10786 times)

Offline BrianSLA

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
What Next Gen Console will you get?
« on: May 20, 2005, 10:21:32 PM »
It is now post E3, and yes it is still very early but since all 3 consoles were unveiled at E3, which console will you get based on what you saw / feel ?
Right now I will be getting both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 at launch. IF the PS3 is $400 to $ 500 then I won't. The Revolution underwhelmed me and since the only thing they really showed was the design ... it makes me think the Revolution will face the Gamecube's fate.  

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
RE:What Next Gen Console will you get?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 10:33:57 PM »
Wow, haven't seen you round here for a while. I still haven't decided which console(s) I'll get because I still don't really think we have enough information on any of them. The XBox 360 has demos, but so far I haven't been too impressed and I hope they'll improve later. I'm not a fan of the Xbox, so if Microsoft continues its trends I probably won't get a 360. The PS3 is still just specs, so until we get some details about a launch line-up and some gameplay footage I'll reserve my judgement. Most likey for me is the Revolution. I think I'll eventually end up buying almsot any console EAD makes games for. There are only three things that could happen to make me not buy it: it's too expensive, it's too underpowered, or they really screw up the old games thing.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: What Next Gen Console will you get?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 04:33:36 AM »
So far none. The X360 is made by Microsoft, the Playstation 3 will break easily and none of the three announced anything my current gaming hardware can't do.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 05:25:34 AM »
I think we all know what the best Next_gan system will be:
the Phantom.

All jokes aside I know for sure I will get a REV. They had me at online SSB3, that is all I needed. Well that and the complete  GCN backwards compatibility. The classic stuff is just icing to me.

As far as the 360 and PS3 goes, I will not even think of getting a PS3 if they keep the controller design. Does that thing look uncomfortable and badly designed to anybody else? The 360 is appealing to me for some reason I can not define though. I still would not buy either of them right now or at thier repective launches.

I only had a GCN this gen and it has kept me perfectly happy so I don't see a need to upgrade right now.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 04:58:46 PM »
lol im still wondering what games are for the phantom lol
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 05:19:43 PM »
I'll play into this poll, only because I'm bored tonight.

I fully plan on purchasing both the PS3 and the Rev.  The Rev I will get at midnight launch day no matter what.  The PS3 I will get whenever the first game I want launches, be that at system launch or later.  It will most likely be FFXIII or KHIII that will do it for me.  (Yes, I'm a square freak.)

As far as the 360 goes...I am genuinely interested in Blue Dragon and if the SK thing turns out true, I will be interested in Too Human as well.  Kameo is one of the games I was excited about at the GCN launch, so that may tempt me too.  The problem is, as of now, I still can't stand what MS is doing in the industry.  I don't think I'll ever buy a MS console because of that.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 09:53:50 PM »
It really didn't surprise me to see nothing on the RES at E3 but I think Nintendo was playing it safe--If sony can deliever 1/2 of what it showcased MS is doomed.

Didn't care for the design of the PS3 but then again I'm a gamer and wouldn't care if the damn thing was a cardboard box if it plays :0.  The controller has me worried but there's plenty of third party controllers and hell since all three use Wi-fi then you might even be able to use RES or Xbox 360 controllers too.  

Not sure if I'll get the Xbox 360 at launch or even at all (I also do though) but the PS3 is almost a safe bet at this point.

Don't care if it's $500--that's less than my PC graphics card alone.  

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 12:29:22 PM »
So far it is looking like Rev at launch, and PS3 somewhere down the road(depends on the price). Eventually I'll get all three, but Rev is the only  one I'll be buying at launch.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 03:14:04 PM »
>>  Wow, haven't seen you round here for a while <<

Yeah I've been pretty busy at work ... working on Revenge of the Sith to other flicks. PLUS I got an ALienware Aurora system so I am more heavily into PC games now. I do still drop by and read the posts but I gotta say Planetgamecube & the forums are A LOT deader than they were a year ago. Since I've got my souped up Alienware ... all current consoles & their games look bad to me. And with the next gen around the corner, if the next gen demos look anywhere near the real games, I will be a console gamer again. But right now it is PC games for me.
Yeah it seems like a lot of the posters from the previous years have gone away. Anyone remember DrGakman ?
Like I said I will probably get the 360 & PS3 ... but if one or both are in the $ 500 range... I can do without. I can afford it but for some reason I dont ' think I can get myself to drop $500 on a game machine. HOPEFULLY BOTH Sony & Microsoft know this and the magic $300 price point remains in effect. As for PS3 ... if it is $300 and a Blu-Ray player... I can't go wrong. At the very least I would have a new Blue Ray DVD movie player.
As for Revolution... it better be a Nintendo revolution and I mean in their way of thinking / game thinking. For me to get Nintendo next round it better offer better graphics than atleast one of the other two , better have outstanding exclusives that I want to play ( a Resident Evil 4 type exclusive ) and they better have A LOT of third party games and mature games. If they go the same way of Gamecube ... I seriously doubt I will ever pick up the Revolution.

>> I will not even think of getting a PS3 if they keep the controller design. <<
Yeah the PS3 controller sucks. I hate those sharp looking long ends.  

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 08:40:01 PM »
the ps3 controller is a concept, it won't look anything like that at launch, but yeah its the ugliest thing in the world.  As for the systems i will purchase Nintendo Rev at launch because of SSBM ONLINE and Classic game downloads but as for the other 2 i will wait a good couple months and make a decision.  

XBOX 360 needs to impress me at launch cause at E3 the demos sucked, I played Burnout and it looked ok but the control was crap, and Condemend was crap too, it had Half Life 2ish graphics and the gameplay sucked.  By the way at E3 i took a xbox 360 bag and wrote ".....Not Impressed" in big letters with a marker, i hope Microsoft saw my baggy!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 12:30:37 PM »
I will definitely buy a Revolution sooner or later unless Nintendo totally screws up.  Simply not showing enough stuff at an event more than a year before the system launch doesn't count as totally screwing up.  Whether or not I buy a Revolution right away depends on pricing and the launch lineup.

As for the other systems, they seem to be all about graphical improvements, and I don't think those improvements are enough to justify spending around $500 CDN.  I don't see how these graphics are really going to improve the gaming experience other than to make it slightly more pretty.  If Nintendo's third party support is as bad or worse than the N64, then I'll probably buy one of these systems eventually, but I'll wait until they get significantly cheaper.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 01:34:40 PM »
The options for me are likely Revolution or nothing.  I am quite impressed with what we know so far but not enough information has been revealed for me to make a decision.  With the Rev the unknown is currently the make-or-break.  I'm concerned about third party support, hardware power, and the controller.  Comments from Nintendo has suggested that there's a chance I might not like what happening with all three of these issues so I have to wait and see.

I intend however on buying only one console.  I won't be pleased if owning a second console will be a requirement for owning a Rev.  It might end up that way but I certainly want to see effort from Nintendo to ensure that I need a Rev and nothing else.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 02:21:28 PM »
A Rev is definitely first-choice...I *might* get a 360 depending on certain factors (Perfect Dark Zero for one), but for now a PS3 is definitely out (sequels to games I hate?  No thanks)...

Looking at the DS lineup, it's like a whole new console, so I might only be able to support purchases for solely Nintendo systems...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 02:26:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Looking at the DS lineup, it's like a whole new console, so I might only be able to support purchases for solely Nintendo systems...

That's what I'm looking at, the GCN and the GBA combined more than helped keep my wallet at a healthy empty for most of the time since the two were released, save that one dry spell early on. The DS is already shaping up to be a great system for the future line up of games, and assuming the Revolution has a line up of games anything like the Gamecube then I should be set with just those two. I need a good Namco RPG to be happy, though... so I hope they come through there.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 04:12:49 PM »
Wasn't Namco reportedly working on a Baten Kaitos prequel for the DS?

Offline allcaps

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 07:56:57 PM »
I liked MS' attitude when they released the first Xbox, but they seem to be doing a 180 instead of a 360 by focusing on non gaming features. The games they did show were pretty underwelming...DOA 4 doesn't look a heck of a lot better than DOA 3. I also don't like the fact that this system was released so soon after the original Xbox. Perfect Dark may get me to change my mind eventually, but I'm not getting this anywhere near launch.

PS3 looks great. The tech in this thing is serious...bluetooth controllers and built in Wi FI, 1080p, SD, etc...its a technophile's wet dream. Since I have a PSP, connectivity there is a big deal for me as well. I think the best feature, and what's going to help them beat MS, is Blu Ray. I was really surprised MS decided against using HD-DVD...even though it doesn't hold as much info as Blu Ray, its still better than DVD. Those 50 some Gig disks are going to entice 3rd party developers who want to put huge amounts of information into their games. Its also good just to own something that can play high definition stuff. I'm sick of watching regular free TV in high def and having it look better than the DVDs I drop my hard earned cash on. I think MS kinda dropped the ball on that one.

I like that Nintendo is going in a different direction with its games, but I haven't really seen what that direction is to comment on it. I'm a little disappointed they didn't go HD-DVD or Blu Ray, but I can understand since they might be trying to keep this in the sub $250 range. If they keep the price low, this will probably end up being my first next gen console. I know Nintendo will, at the very least, have a ton of great first party titles. The fact that these games will now be online is another great thing...I really hope they can somehow get online features in some of those retro games as well. Connectivity with the DS (my new favorite toy) is also a big deal to me, so I'm definitely getting a Revolution.

In short, I'll end up with all three eventually, just like this generation. Probably the Nintendo first if its cheaper than the PS3 and there aren't a ton of PS3 games available...a PS3 after I get a TV capable of 1080p, and an Xbox360 later on. A lot of it depends on price tho, so if PS3 is in the $500 range, I will definitely be waiting for a while.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 08:00:13 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
Wasn't Namco reportedly working on a Baten Kaitos prequel for the DS?

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me about that one, had slipped my mind. Can't wait for it, if it's anything like the GCN offering. Now if only we could get a Tales game on the Revolution I will be set.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 08:22:37 PM »
Proberly the 360 (few months after release) and Revolution on launch day
360 seems to have the goods and they have a HUGE lineup, while ps3 is off showing a eyetoy demo's which could of been done on a pc 6years ago using voodoo2. There line up looks like it will depend on sports game and the francises they had to pay to make exclusive (GT, GTA ect.)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 09:13:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The options for me are likely Revolution or nothing.
Out of curiosity, why?  If Nintendo completely drops the ball and release something you're not interested in at all, you're going to stop playing new games completely?

You always seem interested in games that aren't coming out for GameCube so one would think if Revolution didn't have anything you'd want, you'd switch to either PS3 or Xbox 360.  Or is it more of a 'I don't want to play those games, but other people do so Nintendo should have them' kind of thing?

As far as I go, I'm almost definately (98% chance) getting a Revolution at or near launch.  I doubt I'll get either of the other consoles.  I'll probably just buy a new graphics card and up my RAM and play the PC ports of PS3/Xbox 360.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 09:29:02 AM »
Haha...because Ian likes to be overly melodramatic about why Nintendo sucks...

Anyway, for anyone truly interested in the 360, the anti-microsoft person inside me would like to make one request to you.  Most likely you will blow me off, but that's cool, I just think it needs to be said.

Please, at least hold off on getting a 360 until both Sony and Nintendo have shown the final versions of their systems.  If the 360 is going to succeed, I don't want the only reason to be because they jumped the gun and shortened the lives of the current consoles...  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 10:22:21 AM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The options for me are likely Revolution or nothing.
Out of curiosity, why?  If Nintendo completely drops the ball and release something you're not interested in at all, you're going to stop playing new games completely?

I'm with him. The Xbox doesn't interest me in the least, and even though the PS3 might have some enjoyable RPGs, its also likely to be priced out of my range.

If Nintendo seriously drops the ball with the Rev, I might just stick out the next generation with my DS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 05:40:18 PM »
But Ninty WON'T drop the ball, so stop thinking like that! :massiveangryfacepunchyouinthegobemoticon:
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 06:53:32 PM »
Only thing interesting on the 360 is Blue Dragon (I think that is what it is called. Its that Mistwalker RPG.)
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 07:03:57 PM »
I can really only afford 1 system.  It just isn't economical to have more than 1.  In that I mean, when you have two console systems you have to juggle the amount of great games to buy.

Since Revolution is trying to keep prices low, and has that awesome backwards compatiability with all Nintendo systems, it is my choice.  

There are too many great SNES games I miss playing.  Not to even mention N64 games and NES games.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 07:35:12 PM »
"Out of curiosity, why? If Nintendo completely drops the ball and release something you're not interested in at all, you're going to stop playing new games completely?"

The only non-Nintendo console I own is the original Playstation and I don't like it very much.  The lack of Nintendo really hurts that console.  Now you would think that since I feel that third party support is so important that that shouldn't make a difference.  If I own an N64 and a Playstation I pretty much have the 32/64 bit equivalent of the SNES, right?  It doesn't work that way.  The attitudes of the console maker directly rub off on the developers that support them.  The controller and the graphic style of the console for example really affect game design.  Plus the console maker has certain ideas for how games should be made and the userbase is largely "trained" to accept that style and third parties have to adapt.  Nintendo prides on gameplay above all else so high quality gameplay is common on games designed specifically for their consoles.  Sony focuses more on a cool image so the games on Playstation reflect that as well.  For the obvious example compare Square's Nintendo output to their Sony output.  The influence of Sony's "cool image" is immediately apparent in Final Fantasy VII and all the Square games that follow.

So since I don't like Sony's (or Microsoft's) approach to gaming Nintendo really is the only way to go.  So if they screw up I really don't see the industry offering much that interests me.  I'm hard on Nintendo but that's because I don't want what the competition offers.  So I need them to be doing well and I would benefit the most if they were number one.

So if Nintendo doesn't make the Rev something that interests me no one is.  I don't think I'll quit games but I'll probably spend my time catching up on all the SNES titles I haven't really given a fair playthrough.