Author Topic: A bucketload of Metal Gear games announced for Sony  (Read 3740 times)

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
A bucketload of Metal Gear games announced for Sony
« on: May 18, 2005, 01:58:54 AM »
Probably disappointed by the lackluster sales of MGS3, Konami is releasing "MGS3: Subsistence" (note, not Substance) for the PS2. It's MGS3 with some extra features, of course.

Most notably, it comes with English-translated ports of the MSX versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. So much for Kojima and Konami's very-public refusal to ever revisit the past. Personally, I was always hoping this would happen on a Nintendo console (the DS would be perfect for them), but, as we all know, Konami is Sony's b!tch.

Also, Konami is working on "Metal Gear Ac!d 2" for the PSP. Despite the fact that MGA wasn't exactly the bestselling title on the PSP that Konami was hoping for. But MGA2 is a cel-shaded card-based stealth game now, which should fix everything...

And of course, Kojima's retirement has been revoked for the tenth time in a row, as he's now making Metal Gear Solid 4 for the PS3.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:A bucketload of Metal Gear games announced for Sony
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 05:37:46 AM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix
But MGA2 is a cel-shaded card-based stealth game now, which should fix everything...

Nice.  You know, I think it would make a lot more sense for Konami to port MGS3 to the other consoles.  I don't know if the series has done that well on Xbox and I know it didn't do really well on GameCube, but I still bet it's popular enough that it would sell better than a "deluxe" version for the exact same console that it's already on.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE: A bucketload of Metal Gear games announced for Sony
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 07:11:47 AM »
It probably sold bad (MGS3) because people were hoping or knew a delux version would be coming out soon?
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 07:13:38 AM »
I have to do this

OMG TEH METOL G3AR SERIES IS RUNEZZZZZ CEL SHAAAIDING IS FOR TEH kidieZ WE WANTS MORE MATUREZ GRAPHIXXXXX CUZ ITS TEH ROXORRZ  

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 07:47:30 PM »
Kojima isnt making it though hes just overseing it if im not mistaken

I want both Substance and MGS4... Sigh
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 08:40:30 PM »
Note to self: never buy a Metal Gear Solid game at release.  We've seen three Metal Gear Solids and a special edition for each one.  Now MGS: Integral wasn't released in North America but the pattern still exists.  If you buy a new Metal Gear Solid game you're going to get ripped off when the REAL version is released a year later.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 04:57:58 PM »
You could always sell the old game to some noob on eBay and use that money to buy the new version...
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 03:04:40 AM »
Perhaps someone can answer this, but what is the "MSX" version of both MGS1 and 2?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 06:47:14 AM »
MSX is a Japanese 8-bit computer system. The original Metal Gears were written for it and later ported to the NES.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 01:01:04 PM »
The MSX was basically a kind of old Japanese PC that got really popular as a videogame platform.

The original Metal Gear was made for the MSX, and then it was quite heavily downgraded when it was ported to the NES.

"Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake" is the second real Metal Gear game. It was made for the MSX, and wasn't ported to anything, so it never got released outside of Japan.

"Snake's Revenge: Metal Gear 2" is an entirely different game that was made on the NES without Hideo Kojima's input, and is not considered a "real" Metal Gear game.

"Metal Gear Solid" on the PlayStation was the third real Metal Gear game.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 02:50:35 PM »
Ok thanks .
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144