Author Topic: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - Oh God, transition raped my text!  (Read 121764 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
It sounded like "Live and Learn" will be a direct-to-game song, not a remix, not that I have any problem with that...I want mostly old tracks, personally...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Still waiting on the update, hopefully it is good like yesterday's.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
Not sure what to think about this update, it is nice to see wifi move so smoothly though. What impressed me the most though was that stage, this is the first time I've seen videos of it in action (I take it that is the Star Fox stage?).

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Tonight's update is a video update!

Its an online match between Nintendo Tokyo and Kyoto. Its basically to show us how an online match would look like.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
I agree, GP.  The more I see these stages in motion, the more impressed I am.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
This update would have been sweeter if I hadn't found and watched the 6 minutes of video that spilled itself onto 2ch...

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Just saw the video...

Man does Brawl look beautiful!

Its so silky smooth it makes Melee look like crap.

However, I do wonder if the framerate speed dropped to it being an online battle.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GeneralTraag

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
On the Japanese page there is a different video showing Snake, Kirby, Ike, and Mario fighting on the Delfino Plaza stage.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
Yeah the stages are AMAZING for the most part, I just hope I'm not getting distracted by all the neat stuff going on in the background while fighting. Anyway this is a question I'm not has been answered, do we yet know if you can have a friend be playing with you at home and both of you can get into a wi-fi match either co-op or free for all with 2 other online players?

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
This update would have been sweeter if I hadn't found and watched the 6 minutes of video that spilled itself onto 2ch...

Which one? The 5 minutes of Brawl or something brand new?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Wow, eat your heart out Rogue Squadron.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Yeah the stages are AMAZING for the most part, I just hope I'm not getting distracted by all the neat stuff going on in the background while fighting. Anyway this is a question I'm not has been answered, do we yet know if you can have a friend be playing with you at home and both of you can get into a wi-fi match either co-op or free for all with 2 other online players?

Well, this commercial does show what appears to be two sets of two people playing online from one console. I do find the commercial's veracity questionable though, because it does not seem that it is a direct advertisement for the game itself, but for some sort of online service from a company other Nintendo.  
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
Delfino footage looks great.  Snake is looking better and better- being sneaky and planting mines ought to be a lot of fun.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: pap64

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Which one? The 5 minutes of Brawl or something brand new?

The 5 minute video plus the 1 minute CM that came before it...

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
I've learned a few things from that video.

1. There is a timer on the "The winner is..." screen. That means you won't have to hunt down that one player that took his wavebird into the room where everyone else is playing WoW after he lost early and make him press start so the rest of you can play a new game.

2. The 16-bit Life Question is over. Mario is apparently better than Sonic. (by about 2 points)

3. Samus is hot.

4. Mario is an idiot, he ran directly into a bumper 3 times. Almost killed him.

5. Samus's final smash is bigger than it looks (by at least a foot).  
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
I will be taking this with a grain of salt.  Mostly because the average internet connection in Japan is vastly faster then here in the States or most anywhere else.   The stage in motion look nice but I wish the camera had a tighter view of the action.  I don't like the announcer as much as the one in Melee.  I'll have to go back and play tonight to make sure I'm not wearing rose tinted glasses.  I'm sort of sad Mario kept his Smash victory move (I saw it this weekend), hopefully it varies.

Anyone else notice that the Smashball came out but it was pretty much ignored?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
All I have to say is WOW. This game looks amazing in motion. Silky smooth animation and frame rate, especially going over the net (though not representative of America, it's still impressive nonetheless). I seriously can not wait till this game comes out.

PS: Damn Mario was terrible in that match, how the hell did he win!?
Check out PixlBit!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
broken balance confirmed?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Balanced so that those who don't play well do better? If nothing else, that would make the tournaments a lot of fun to watch
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
It's possible just that because the people playing are all Nintendo employees, and it's a "test match," they weren't trying their hardest :P It's also possible that handicaps are being used, like in Melee. But more likely, he just got lucky. That can happen in short timed matches.  

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Yeah, he was just good at recovering and he didn't get hit by the Samus FSA.  So it was really just luck.

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Ceric
I will be taking this with a grain of salt.  Mostly because the average internet connection in Japan is vastly faster then here in the States or most anywhere else.

The bandwidth doesn't matter. The internet in Japan is just as fast as everywhere else, you just get more of it at once.

Some games track hundreds of items at once. 4 players and a handful of items is fairly trivial if you have a better connection than dial up. Low speed DSL is probably fine. It's distance that really starts to get you, and even then I'm sure you can play across the US just fine as long neither end of the connection is downloading with bittorrent or anything.
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit

Originally posted by: Grant10k

Originally posted by: Ceric
I will be taking this with a grain of salt.  Mostly because the average internet connection in Japan is vastly faster then here in the States or most anywhere else.

The bandwidth doesn't matter. The internet in Japan is just as fast as everywhere else, you just get more of it at once.

Some games track hundreds of items at once. 4 players and a handful of items is fairly trivial if you have a better connection than dial up. Low speed DSL is probably fine. It's distance that really starts to get you, and even then I'm sure you can play across the US just fine as long neither end of the connection is downloading with bittorrent or anything.

The bandwidth absolutely DOES matter. During busier times there are alot more packets traveling through the network and as a result you often see slowdown due to flooded down and up streams. Japan having a more consistent, high bandwidth network will allow for packets to travel without the risk of flooding, which will ruin the fluidity of the gameplay. The fact that Smash doesn't transfer tons of data per packet is irrelevant. The data they are working with is being sent out and received rapid fire. If the packets are coming in slowly it is going to make the game stutter quite a bit because the packets dictating the players actions aren't coming in quickly enough. It is very possible that the US won't see the same performance as Japan due to the network in the US being more flooded than it is in Japan.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Oh god, gotta love Sonic with the "YOU'RE TOOO SLOOOWW!!" taunt. I'm gonna be spamming that like crazy

Oh also I like Link's new older voice. Actually its just nice to see that the Melee voices aren't all being dumped on Brawl. They just better make sure they actually have Luigi's nasal voice this time instead of a slightly higher pitched Mario like Melee had.
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
bah I just wish all that effort into putting the game online was used in adding more content to the game, at least I won't have to stand the internet whining about the lack of online.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro