Poll

What Mafia Theme would you like to play for this game?

Luigi's Mansion - Similar ruleset to the Metroid Mafia game
7 (43.8%)
Harvest Moon - A simpler, more classic version of Mafia
5 (31.3%)
Pikmin - A Mafia game where two mafias must recruit other players
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: October 14, 2021, 04:58:44 PM

Author Topic: Mafia LXXXVI: Sign-up Thread  (Read 9403 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia LXXXVI: Sign-up Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2021, 03:12:19 PM »
I spoke to Lucario and he apparently has some life stuff going on.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2021, 04:44:44 PM »
Yeah, same goes for thatguy.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2021, 02:49:50 PM »
IN

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2021, 06:50:42 PM »
Sure, count me in.  It’s been a bit. Should be fun.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2021, 11:35:36 AM »
Ok Mafia Party People, we have achieved the 16 player minimum just in time. (We may have one more. TheFleece sent me a pm indicating he might be willing to play. I messaged him back with some more details but haven't heard anything since. That was on Friday. I've been hoping he'd show up and let me know for sure whether he's in or out.)

Because I wasn't sure if this was game was going to happen or not (or which game we might be doing), I left the rules and planning alone and put my attention on inviting people and seeing who might be free to join. So, now I'll have to bang out the actual gameplay information. My goal is to have that done by tonight.

As for which game we'll be playing, less than half the players who signed up voted for the poll which suggest a lot of you will be fine with whatever theme and ruleset is selected. Harvest Moon has a slight lead at 3 votes. One could look at that like the winner. Yet Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin had 2 votes each which suggests 4 people would prefer something a bit more complicated versus the 3 who would like something simple. Because there was no huge majority or really popular choice in the poll and the real majority was not voting implying they are good with anything then I guess I'll take that to mean it is the host's pleasure to select which theme they'd like to do.

And since it seemed to take awhile to gather players for this game making me wonder if it will be even more difficult to get a game launched in the future, I am going to go with the Luigi's Mansion theme. I'd really like to see another game done under the rule set from the Metroid game to see if it is well balanced or if it might be broken in some way. (I also wonder what might happen if a killer does get the flag on Day 1 or 2 and were to win early. Would players be ok with a quick win or decide the rule sucks if it were to happen?) Moreover, most of the players for this game were around for the Metroid game. With the majority having experience of playing a game with that rule set, I'm curious to see if that will result in different strategies this game now that you are familiar with how it works. Plus, with the month of October, a Luigi's Mansion theme seems most fitting.

In the meantime, the sign-up thread will remain open today in case there are any other last minute additions before the game launches or you can think of anyone else you'd like to invite.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 11:37:40 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2021, 01:52:23 PM »
You realize the poll ended on the 18th right? About a third of the playerbase couldn't participate in the poll.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2021, 04:58:05 PM »
I did not.... Usually I leave my polls open for a longer period but I guess that was close to when I had first hoped to launch the game only to not have enough players and extend the sign-up period.

EDIT: RE-OPENED. Players have, like, 4 hours to change my mind.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2021, 05:13:00 PM »
I am a ghost let me in
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2021, 05:18:53 PM »
I am a ghost let me in

Oh wow! Welcome back!

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2021, 09:25:38 PM »
(I also wonder what might happen if a killer does get the flag on Day 1 or 2 and were to win early. Would players be ok with a quick win or decide the rule sucks if it were to happen?) Moreover, most of the players for this game were around for the Metroid game. With the majority having experience of playing a game with that rule set, I'm curious to see if that will result in different strategies this game now that you are familiar with how it works.

I'd be alot of work for you I'm sure, but I wonder if the "worst" happened and the game ended on day one or two, would it be possible to have a few days down time and have a more normal game using Harvest Moon with the same group? That way people wouldn't possibly feel "cheated". Just throwing it out there to see what you and others think.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2021, 09:40:16 PM »
(I also wonder what might happen if a killer does get the flag on Day 1 or 2 and were to win early. Would players be ok with a quick win or decide the rule sucks if it were to happen?) Moreover, most of the players for this game were around for the Metroid game. With the majority having experience of playing a game with that rule set, I'm curious to see if that will result in different strategies this game now that you are familiar with how it works.

I'd be alot of work for you I'm sure, but I wonder if the "worst" happened and the game ended on day one or two, would it be possible to have a few days down time and have a more normal game using Harvest Moon with the same group? That way people wouldn't possibly feel "cheated". Just throwing it out there to see what you and others think.

Let's the first killer gets the flag on Day 1. Day 2 is the chance to take them out. If the killer isn't removed on Day 2 then they win at the start of Day 3. So, yes, the shortest the game could be is two days. That said, we could continue to play the game as a semi-normal mafia game and see who gets second as it were. Or we just call it quits.

That said, my plan was to try and do this regularly. So, when this game ends, I'll probably put sign-ups for the next game about a week after it ends. Let's see what happens if we have some faster turn around time for these Mafia games.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2021, 12:13:43 AM »
You did not change my mind.

Here's a better poll question. Are you all ok with the game launching at 12:00 AM EST Oct. 6 aka 9:00 PM PST Oct. 5 aka 12:00 PM Perth Time Oct. 6?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2021, 12:55:38 AM »
You did not change my mind.

Here's a better poll question. Are you all ok with the game launching at 12:00 AM EST Oct. 6 aka 9:00 PM PST Oct. 5 aka 12:00 PM Perth Time Oct. 6?

Personally speaking I would go with October 7th since I have some things  I am doing on the 6th.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2021, 01:13:01 PM »
Since traditionally we pause on weekends, shouldn't we wait for a Monday to allow for a longer stretch of uninterrupted days?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2021, 04:00:52 PM »
It appears the roles are not all posted yet. I think we should have a day to read them before starting.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2021, 05:57:49 PM »
Since traditionally we pause on weekends, shouldn't we wait for a Monday to allow for a longer stretch of uninterrupted days?

We haven't paused on weekends once we switched over to the Majority Rule and 48 hour or so voting periods. With the longer game days, pausing no longer seems to be necessary.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2021, 12:14:35 AM »
It appears the roles are not all posted yet. I think we should have a day to read them before starting.

Eh, it'll give you something to do over the course of Day 1 besides nervously posting in the Day One thread and hoping you don't become a target.  ;)

Timing at this point is all off. I had hoped we'd have had enough players over a week ago. With Metroid Dread releasing this Friday, now the game has to compete with that when it could have been possibly winding up or over by then. There's no way to really work around that now aside from maybe delaying the start of the game even further and I don't want to do that.

I will say I am looking forward to the Harvest Moon game next. Typing up these rules and roles has made changed my mind and made me look forward to a simpler game next time. Still need to add the Treasures aka Abilities aka Power-ups to the list of Rules and Roles. However, I would suggest that players just check out the Metroid Mafia Rules thread as those will be pretty much be the same abilities being used this game just with a different skin or name to them. In the meantime, I am going to start handing out the roles and will this game into action.