Author Topic: Digital or Retail?  (Read 8422 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Digital or Retail?
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »
So for current Wii U owners or guys who plan to pick up a Wii U, Playstaion 4, or Xbox One do you guys plan to go retail or digital for the bulk of your purchases.

I'm really thinking going mostly digital but I'm a bit worried about game sizes and download caps. It takes about two 2-3 hours to download Batman Arkham City which is 7.7 GBs of data.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Digital or Retail?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:58:36 PM »
I like to resell my games to Gamestop and ebay so I'm gonna stay with retail.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:05:12 AM »
I own lots of Wii U games, but not a single disc. Haven't bought a physical 3DS game in over a year. Very nearly all digital on PS3 and Vita, and don't intend to ever buy a physical game on PS4. I'm a big believer in the shiny digital future.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:01:04 AM »
Shipping to my country is expensive and long.

Having a digital option on day one is great. Yes it's the same price or even more expensive. And for me it's still cheaper than getting this game on online retailer+plus shipping. And there are other issues like Amazon stopping selling videogames to CIS countries because of shipping troubles.

Also i don't have to wait.

That said i haven't actually bought any retail release that way yet. I might get W101, Rayman and other games that way. Or i'll just make a huge order with like ten games to save on shipping.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:10:24 AM »
I'm 99% in the crowd of retail purchases only. That other one percent? FFXIV: A Realm Reborn and Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Oh, and any exclusive eShop-only games.

I like having a physical collection to show off to friends when they come over, and to more easily maintain my backlog. Physical helps me with that.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:11:23 AM »
I go retail wherever possible, barring some absurd digital discount or PS+ Freebie. I just flat-out don't trust our so-called "Inevitable Digital Future." While I still have the option to buy physical and preserve my ability to play a game passed its developer's intended expiration time, I will.  Besides, my hard drive tends to be stuffed, anyway, w/ all the digital games I download and the install data for my disc-based games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 02:20:00 AM »
If given the choice I will invariably buy a physical copy (there are some exceptions like Animal Crossing where the benefits of owning a digital version outweigh the drawbacks). I like to lend and share my games, which I can't of couse do with digital versions.

I also trade games in all the time to fund new purchases. So for me, the fallout from E3 (i.e. Sony's stance on physical games, and Microsoft's subsequent reversal of their own policies) has all been been very much welcome.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:59:39 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 03:25:24 AM »
I would be a purely digital purchaser if I could get the games cheaper than retail. This is why I am looking forward to Steam style discounts and sales on the eShop.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 06:27:46 AM »
Largely retail because it works out financially for me. Once the deals end, I'll re-evaluate.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
I prefer buying retail and will continue to do so even if I can get a game cheaper digitally. I only buy digital if a game isn't available at retail. I'm not opposed to a digital future (so long as my purchases are protected). I'm old-school in that I like having the boxes and physical media. I don't think I've thrown out a game box since N64 and even then, towards the middle/end, I kept them.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 08:06:58 PM »
Digital for me.

I just can't stand switching out discs and cartridges all the time. Though Pokemon is a game I think I will need to buy physical. When I had to transfer my data to a me DS I lost all my data from a few games. But I think I am exception rather than the rule, I'm just bad at things. Still I can't take that chance with Pokemon, I would be devastated if I lost my 10 years worth of monsters.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »
Retail, I like actually owning physical copies of my games. It's good for my gaming collection, uses less memory, and allows me to lend and sell games.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 12:28:48 AM »
I'm still a retail guy at heart.  I still buy CDs and LPs online even.  I purchased The Last of Us via Amazon, partly because I didn't want to download 25+GBs when I'm capped at 75(though, that isn't so much of an issue considering I exceed that limit pretty much every month).  I also don't have room on my PS3 HDD, and don't really feel like expanding that.

And I'm no stranger to digital; my Steam library is full of games I'll never play.  As it is, there aren't really enough incentives on the consoles to justify going digital only right now.  The deal that Nintendo has for the premium Wii U owners was a nice start.  I'd still like to see more, like early access to the game if you buy digital, since undercutting retailers is a stretch.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 02:35:32 AM »
It's mixed for me. Some games I prefer to have on my 3DS at all times (like Brain Age and Animal Crossing) whereas other games I actually prefer the cart, especially if I can get them cheaply. Honestly, I think a lot of Nintendo games end up being like that: Mario Kart I would want digitally, and NSMB2 worked better (for me) as a download. I more frequently by physical when given the option since I usually buy games when I see a deal, and those happen more often at retail.

Admittedly, I don't often buy digital only titles unless they're universally well liked.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MukiDA

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »
Single-player heavy? (RPGs, adventure) Buy a disc. Nice to have, can lend it out after completion.
Multi-player heavy? (Fighting) Digital all the way. It'll always be on-hand in my system without having to swap my cartridge-of-the-month out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »
Retail if available. I do digital on PC, but it is an open platform.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 08:30:23 AM »
I mainly choose retail unless there is a clear advantage to purchasing the digital copy, like a heavy sale price like Steam has, or if there's a great benefit to purchasing digital.  I've found having a digital copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf is really nice because I don't have to bother with swapping out a cartridge for something I spend about an hour a night between doing other things.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 08:47:59 AM »
Retail prices drop faster. I got ACIII for $20 from gamestop and it's still $40 on the eshop. So that's my answer. Whatever is cheaper.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 12:36:32 PM »
I only go with digital if it is the only way to buy the game and even then stuff like DRM will affect my decision.

To me physical media is the only way to truly buy it.  Otherwise it's effectively a longterm rental.  I had a couple rainy days recently and spent them playing Super Nintendo.  20 years from now do you think you'll be able to play your old games as easily?  Of course for many people videogames are disposable entertainment.  If you don't care about playing a game years later then none of my concerns would matter.

I see a lot of the value of digitial downloads on a handheld as it is a pain to bring a bunch of physical games with you on the go, but the convenience of not having to switch discs on a stay-at-home console seems so insignificantly minor I don't understand why it would be worth the tradeoff of legitimate ownership.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 01:25:22 PM »
As long as the companies offering digital distribution consider it a "service" rather than an actual form of "ownership", I'll prefer retail over digital. That being said, I am okay with buying digitally distributed games, but not fully priced titles that are also available through retail, since – like Do_What said – prices tend to drop really fast in retail (with the exception of most of Nintendo's in-house games) whereas digitally distributed games are pretty constant in their pricing and they even start off at the same price point as the retail version.

Concerning Nintendo, I'd even go so far as to say that I will not drop a large amount of money on their DDL stuff unless they manage to fix their ridiculous account system.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
I still haven't made up my mind, but I know for Handhelds with the expection of the few gamecards I hae I'm going all digital.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 08:31:59 AM »
Anyone who doesn't exclusively buy digital games is worse than the bad guys on Captain Planet due to their irresponsible environmental destruction through pursuit of shitty plastic and cardboard. I've even gone so far as to transfer my physical Mario Kart 7 save to my digital copy and donate my old physical copy to starving orphans*.

*traded into EB
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
 Reggie will love you if you buy all digital. Since I'm aleady married, I buy physical copies. Everything else has already been covered on this topic.

Offline BrandonCHFG

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »
I like having the option to recoup some money by reselling the disk after I'm done, so I tend to buy retail for WiiU and 3DS.  However, I'm throuroughly entrenched in Steam and virtual console, so if I can get a good deal, or if I KNOW it's a title I'll want to come back to often, I'm okay with digital.

I can also see where digital would be good for a game like Animal Crossing, where you'll want to play it alongside other games and not have to change the cartridge.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Just think of how much glorious space you would have in your houses if you didn't have to cover every wall with shelves holding every game, cd, movie and book you own.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.