Author Topic: Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (Switch) Review  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (Switch) Review
« on: May 09, 2019, 12:09:26 PM »

Well, it certainly isn’t boring.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/50469/saints-row-the-third-the-full-package-switch-review

It’s kind of hard not to compare the Saints Row series to Grand Theft Auto, as the core gameplay is virtually the same. But Saints Row’s third entry cemented the series as something totally different—whereas Grand Theft Auto went in a more serious direction, Saints Row: The Third embraced complete zaniness and lunacy, featuring balls-to-the-wall violence, zombies, aliens, and so much more. Some aspects of the re-release, subtitled The Full Package, feel a bit dated, but the sheer wealth of content means there’s no end to the shenanigans the gang gets into.

The story is relatively simple: your gang is thrust into a new city, Steelport, following the events of the opening mission and start working on plans to take over the city. There’s a number of rival gangs who are looking to do the same thing, including one that wears luchador masks and another that dresses in goth. Although there are some underlying stories about revenge and redemption, more often than not you’re quickly thrust into crazed violence. I wouldn’t say the story is the game’s strongest suit, but it’s serviceable.

There are tons of things to do in Saints Row: The Third. Beyond the story missions, there’s a wealth of side missions that deal with tasks ranging from securing neighborhoods from rival gangs to collecting insurance fraud. There’s even one that has you competing in a Smash TV-esque game show where your goal is to kill as many people as possible for the most cash before time runs out.

The included DLC expands on a few of these side missions and features some storylines of its own that are completely out there. They feature everything from acting in an alien movie to securing a clone of Johnny Gat that's running loose in the city. It does a great job of making what already is a silly game even sillier, which is one of the game’s stronger suits.

Beyond the story mode, there’s also Whored (horde) mode where you fight swarms of enemies until you die, which is always fun. Both local and online co-op play rounds out the package. For whatever reason, you need an additional Switch and a second copy of Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package if you want to do local co-op, which is an unfortunate burden.

On a technical level, The Full Package is anything but. Not only does it feel dated graphically, but there are also a ton of bugs. I had to restart the Switch several times due to the game freezing, particularly when navigating through menus. There was also an instance where I had to restart a mission because a vehicle froze and I couldn’t complete the mission without it.

Full Package should be retitled “Flawed Package” because there are a few issues here that are noticeable enough to hamper the experience. It’s prone to substantial bugs to the point where it freezes, and there’s just a dated feel to it, both in the humor and the visuals. However, while there are noticeable issues, the core sandbox gameplay is strong, and if there is one thing I can say about Saints Row: The Third, it’s definitely not boring.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (Switch) Review
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:44:50 PM »
Apparently, there will be a day one patch upon release, so I'm interested in seeing if the technical issues mentioned in this review get resolved at all.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 11:56:53 PM »
I really hope so because I've been itching for some kind of 3D gta game on Switch.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »
Patch has been delayed to next week, which makes me wonder (even though I know the answer) why the game was even released in this state and not delayed completely.

https://twitter.com/SaintsRow/status/1126903763938287616?s=19
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 02:10:33 PM »
I was mildly curious about this game since it seems like a goofier GTA, but we'll see how these issues shape out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 02:07:46 AM »
The patch did fix a lot of issues. Graphical issues are still a bit more frequent than I like but I have put probably something like 5 hours into it and outside of some weird flickering on some of the character models I haven't noticed anything off.