Author Topic: Nintendo Reveals Wii U Coming in 2012  (Read 19091 times)

Offline Ailingforale

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • The Video Game Backlog
Re: Nintendo Reveals Wii U Coming in 2012
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »
Honestly I don't mind the name.  It may sound a bit odd at first, but it, at least, has some originality to it.  Doesn't that count for anything anymore? 
I'm also excited on how games will use the secondary screen on the controller (if they want to at all).  Possibly use'n it as a "pick your weapon out of your pack" or if they actually make a console version of Pokemon a certain one.  However, if someone wants to watch tv, I hope dev's keep that in mind to not make dig'n through your inventory clunky if your have to switch to your controller's screen. 
I was very stand off-ish at first, but after watching the video of all the games and some other vids on the N's website, I think this will be a big win for them.  Since it's coming out in the 2nd half of 2012, they've got a decent shot at having a launch that has more than a few games in it... that aren't all Nintendo.
TheVideoGameBacklog.com

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »
This might not be the thread for it but that whole using your controller as the screen could stunt the potential of this controller.  It be like having the DS split apart so 2 people can play different games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
Ceric has a point.  If you're playing on the controller then you can't see two screens at once.  Also any touchscreen usage would have to be on the bottom screen.  But if you're not using the TV, the touchscreen would be using the TV feed which cannot have touchscreen control.

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 05:30:04 PM »
I dont like the name, the design of the controler, or the $450 price tag with
$150 controllers.
Ok, nothing confirmed, but nintendo makes a profit off their systems,
so figure they will pass the buck.
But as a Nintendo fan, i'll get it day one like the 3DS

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »
I dont like the name, the design of the controler, or the $450 price tag with
$150 controllers.
Ok, nothing confirmed, but nintendo makes a profit off their systems,
so figure they will pass the buck.
But as a Nintendo fan, i'll get it day one like the 3DS

You can't something that hasn't even been TALKED about yet.

EDIT: No personal attacks. Pointing out flaws in arguments is fine, name calling is not.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:04:17 PM by NWR_insanolord »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »
Perhaps Wii U is just a working title similar to Revolution?

"Project Cafe" was the working title. So I hate to say it, but it looks like its going to be stuck with that name...

I never thought I'd say this, but it would have been better if they named it "Super Wii" like you wanted to call it. That isn't saying much, because almost anything would have been better than Wii-U. They could have named it Wii Turd and that would have been better.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »
If you're playing on the controller then you can't see two screens at once.

But it does have potential to be used like a HUD kinda thing, where you would glance back and forth between that and the TV screen.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 05:43:47 PM »
This might not be the thread for it but that whole using your controller as the screen could stunt the potential of this controller.  It be like having the DS split apart so 2 people can play different games.
The screen seems to be auxiliary. Games are meant to be played on a television with the controller acting much in the same way the bottom screen on 3DS does. Using the controller as a screen seems to be a cool thing you can do with the controller, rather than the best way to play. I'd imagine games would have to be programed to play a slightly different when using the controller as the main screen.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
Of course we were all hoping for a better name. My hope was that it would be Nintendo HD or NES HD, but I'm just going to call it The U. Wii U sounds like a fraternity. The controller looks damn big and I wonder about recharging and how heavy it feels after 30 minutes of playing. The concept is pretty cool and for a while I was confused about if the controller was the whole thing or not, but after seeing the console unit I am only wondering what's behind the slot. Maybe it's a small motion sensor for Wii remotes or another SD slot.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »
They really need to re-think that right analong stick, needs to be under the buttons
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Ailingforale

• View Profile
    • The Video Game Backlog
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »

Idiot. You can't something that hasn't even been TALKED about yet.
No need to resort to name calling, people can comment on things that haven't been talked about yet.  It's called speculating.  Kind of like what NWR was doing with the controller idea before E3 showed us how it is.
I'm still excited, I hope it's going to run below the $400 mark though.  I can understand if it doesn't... at the same time... I may not be able to convince the wife-unit to agree on purchasing it, which would make it all the more awkward when I walk into the house with one...
TheVideoGameBacklog.com

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »
They really need to re-think that right analong stick, needs to be under the buttons

The good thing about how it is set up, is that for
1) the analog is in primary position on either side which allows the d-pad to substitute for the 4 face buttons for a lefty. and
2) the analog will not get in your way while you are trying to push buttons, which is exactly what will happen with them not being offset from each other (lower controls not slighty further in than the upper controls).

It has symmetry & ambidexterity.

Offline Shadowxaf

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
It's a big 3DS with the 3D slider set to off.  (HDS?)
Part of the reason I liked the DS is because it offered a different experience than the home console.  Now they are bringing the same experience to a home console.

Sony won't have to copy Nintendo this time.  I'll be able to get a Vita for the same price as the Wii U and connect it to my PS3 and get a similar experience.*  And I can use it as a portable device, too!

*Yes, I realize that there won't be Nintendo games on the Vita. And the Wii pad is probably more comfortable to hold.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:27:33 PM by Shadowxaf »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 08:04:19 PM »
You should do that Shadowxaf. SonyWorldReport.com

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »
My big concern with this system is the fact that it has no built-in hard drive.  I envision HD third-party games coming to Wii U without/with gimped DLC support because the system has nowhere to store it on-board (outside of 8GB RAM, which will get eaten up over time).  Yes, you could theoretically use an SSD card or USB drive, but not many people are actually going to do that.  On top of that, buying an external anything is an extra expense that users shouldn't have to float.

Any mention of Nintendo's approach to online gaming with Wii U is conspicuously absent as well.  Supposedly Nintendo is going to talk about this "in the next couple of days", so I'll be waiting to hear about that.

At this point I would say I'm more intrigued than interested.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »
My big concern with this system is the fact that it has no built-in hard drive.  I envision HD third-party games coming to Wii U without/with gimped DLC support because the system has nowhere to store it on-board (outside of 8GB RAM, which will get eaten up over time).  Yes, you could theoretically use an SSD card or USB drive, but not many people are actually going to do that.  On top of that, buying an external anything is an extra expense that users shouldn't have to float.

Any mention of Nintendo's approach to online gaming with Wii U is conspicuously absent as well.  Supposedly Nintendo is going to talk about this "in the next couple of days", so I'll be waiting to hear about that.

At this point I would say I'm more intrigued than interested.

To be fair, the low end Xbox 360 only has 4 GB of onboard storage (and it used to only be 512 MB, and before that there was none), and the user is expected to pay more for more storage.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 08:24:28 PM »
I must have missed something. Where has the storage been detailed?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 08:25:55 PM »
If by some miracle you have a launch Core system*, you've got no storage at all. I suspect the Xbox 420 will feature the same sort of restriction.

* aka "tard pack"
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 08:27:25 PM »

It's on the fact sheet on the press site, and it was posted as part of one of our articles, but I'm not sure which. 8 GB, expandable via SD or USB hard drive.

EDIT: The fact sheet doesn't specify the amount, but I think that was confirmed somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:29:23 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »
I really think sony and MS are breathing a big sigh of relief at this point.

Any word on how much WiinUs will cost?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=34617.msg678242#msg678242

Internal storage expandable by SD card and external HDD (through 1 of the 4 USB 2.0 ports would be my guess)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=34617.msg678242#msg678242

Internal storage expandable by SD card and external HDD (through 1 of the 4 USB 2.0 ports would be my guess)

The fact sheet specifies that it would be through USB.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ryan Cannon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »
When Reggie was giving that speech about the name I was thinking "Their gonna name it Uss" and then they said Wii U. And I thought Nintendo was a creative bunch of people...
Normal people don't affect me...

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
Seriously, when Reggie mentioned Wii U I thought it was something new entirely.  Like a new service or something. As in, not the name of the new console, because there's no way they would ever name a console something that awful...right?

Yeah, technically you can buy a 360 without a hard drive, but that's the exception.  The standard that developers can design to is a guaranteed 20GB of on-board storage.  With Wii U it's the other way around; developers have to assume that 8GB on-board storage is all they'll have to play with, and design accordingly.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 11:52:59 PM »
Seriously, when Reggie mentioned Wii U I thought it was something new entirely.  Like a new service or something. As in, not the name of the new console, because there's no way they would ever name a console something that awful...right?

Ditto. I thought it was some new service or peripheral for the Wii; not the name of the successor console. How could Nintendo be that dumb? I keep hoping this is just some terrible nightmare and that any moment I'll wake up and that horrible name will go away.
is your sanity...