Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3130862 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2006, 05:03:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

The Wii has already won this generation, hands the f*ck down.

Quoted for general agreement.  I won't be 100% confident of Nintendo's victory until it gets a year or so under its belt, but barring some really unexpected changes in the next year, I think Nintendo is set to win.

I have to say I think Microsoft understands the limited appeal of the Xbox 360 lineup, but it doesn't quite seem to know how to fix it.  Moneyhats for third parties to develop games like Blue Dragon are a start - but it's an expensive way to change things, and not all that effective either - it takes more than one or two games.  Maybe if Microsoft is really lucky and its Japanese division works very hard, some third parties will look into 360 if the PS3 keeps failing.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2006, 05:18:32 AM »

unconfirmed 1st day sales number

Wii 368,500
Zelda TP168,400
Wii Sports 153,700
Wii Play 110,900
Made in Wario 100,500

Add in Pokemon: D/P & Love & Berry and you have 6 of the Top 10 for this upcoming week, all above 100k sold and all on a Nintendo system.

+The Top 8 for Wii

From Enterbrain:

1. Zelda: The Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
2. WiiSports (Nintendo)
3. Hajimete no Wii (Nintendo)
4. WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Nintendo)
5. Trauma Center: Second Opinion [Caduceus Z: 2-tsu no Chou Shittou] (Atlus)
6. Swing Golf Pangya (Tecmo)
7. SD Gundam: Scad Hammers (Bandai Namco)
8. Red Steel (Ubisoft)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2006, 05:19:25 AM »
I think it's the Japanese xenophobia which is really killing the 360 in Japan, mostly because the console is designed from the ground up to cater to the hardcore American gamer.

But yeah, if Nintendo somehow manages to lose this generation, it would have to involve a 180 degree turnaround by Sony and for Nintendo itself to just start royally botching everything, and I like to think that Nintendo already had their chance to botch sh*t with the DS and didn't do it whereas Sony did with the PSP and that miraculous turnaround hasn't happened yet.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2006, 05:42:25 AM »
Yeah, I really don't get what Sony's doing with PSP.  It should have been clear by the end of last year that the system was in trouble, but there doesn't seem to be any plan in place to fix it.  Maybe Sony was just too distracted by PS3.

Of course, it's possible that there is no helping PSP.  I've heard it argued that the system is now doomed to failure because Nintendo has successfully disrupted the market.  Is it possible that Sony believes that?

I think Sony takes PS3 more seriously, but it's just had so many problems, and again, if Nintendo has successfully disrupted the market, it may be impossible for Sony to turn things around this generation.  Same thing for Microsoft.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2006, 05:43:01 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I have to say I think Microsoft understands the limited appeal of the Xbox 360 lineup, but it doesn't quite seem to know how to fix it.  Moneyhats for third parties to develop games like Blue Dragon are a start - but it's an expensive way to change things, and not all that effective either - it takes more than one or two games.  Maybe if Microsoft is really lucky and its Japanese division works very hard, some third parties will look into 360 if the PS3 keeps failing.

Reminds me a lot of the problems Nintendo had with general third party support.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Hocotate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2006, 05:43:56 AM »
I agree.

The system is already released and hasn't had any reports of a large number of defective units or anything. The system is selling well in both Japan and the US (outselling PS3). I'd say this late in the game it would be hard for Nintendo to do much botching. Like Smash_Brother said, Nintendo really is the default winner here.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2006, 05:55:36 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke
NO GUNDAM GAME HAS EVER BEEN ANY GOOD!!!

ryancoke, meet Gundam Wing: Endless Duel  
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2006, 06:02:45 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
1. Zelda: The Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
2. WiiSports (Nintendo)
3. Hajimete no Wii (Nintendo)
4. WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Nintendo)
5. Trauma Center: Second Opinion [Caduceus Z: 2-tsu no Chou Shittou] (Atlus)
6. Swing Golf Pangya (Tecmo)
7. SD Gundam: Scad Hammers (Bandai Namco)
8. Red Steel (Ubisoft)

You can see that the Japanese gamers love the Nintendo 1st party titles first and foremost instead of the 3rd parties.

However, how many launch titles were there total? I'm stunned as all f*ck to see Red Steel come in at #8 because I figured: foreign developer + Japan's usual dislike of FPSs = Red Steel is a shoe-OUT for Japan...

Yeah, I really don't get what Sony's doing with PSP. It should have been clear by the end of last year that the system was in trouble, but there doesn't seem to be any plan in place to fix it. Maybe Sony was just too distracted by PS3.

Yeah, it's like they didn't even TRY to save the thing. This would be the first Sony system which they basically let dwindle and die. Though, even that's debatable because it seems like they tried with GTA and trying to get some Square games on the system.

The FFVII spinoff (Crisis Core, I believe) is the last hail mary the PSP has but I don't think that even that will be able to save the system.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2006, 06:18:12 AM »
You know, I don't know if this is true or not, but I thought since Red Steel doesn't play that much like a normal FPS (I've heard it compared to more of a shooting gallery) it might be bigger in Japan than usual.  The fact that it controls "worse" than a normal FPS might not be a negative point to them since they don't like normal FPS controls.

Checking at IGN, PSP still seems to have plenty of new games coming out, but they just aren't that interesting.  It's mainly ports and sequels.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2006, 07:22:28 AM »
I'll be curious to see the sales figures for RS, both here and in Japan.

I'm curious about it because it's an unpolished launch title which is probably the most ambitious game on the Wii yet and represents the first new 3rd party franchise to be on the console.

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2006, 07:39:05 AM »
Its still a good game. I caved in and got it and my PSfanboy hate nintendo friends already love it. They liekd Wii Sports but Rs was what got them really hooked. He is still getting a Ps3 as sson as he can find one, but I think he will swicth up after a year. Maybe he still ahs PSp and stil maintains its better than DS and wotn even try DS.

I was very optimistic Wii would do good, I never doubted that, what worried me was that teh controlelr woud,nt work for the types of games I like, but I like FPS games and RS works good, and I like fighting games and DBZ:BT2 proves thast doable. so I just wait for the games to keep coming. Still waiting for the RPGs also. NOT FFCC but real RPGS.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2006, 08:09:06 AM »
That's one of the reasons I like Red Steel: it's clearly NOT a Nintendo game and many people were probably willing to get a Wii because of that reason alone.

You have to figure that your average PS fanboy is used to years and years of crap games that sell by offering a bit of violence. Unpolished as it is, Red Steel can still impress them because the glitches probably go unnoticed. It's only the Nintendo fans who demand that their games have a certain level of polish.

The same people who buy Madden every year will no doubt be drawn in by Red Steel's aiming system and swordfighting, a type of violence which has yet to be explored on any console to the extent that the Wii can offer it.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2006, 08:09:23 AM »

Originally posted by: UniversalJuan

Originally posted by: ryancoke
NO GUNDAM GAME HAS EVER BEEN ANY GOOD!!!

ryancoke, meet Gundam Wing: Endless Duel

I've never heard of that one. Actually I've never heard of any Gundam game before the PS2. So maybe it's just the PS2 that has all the stinkers.  What system was that for?  I looks a little primative for PS1 so i'm guessing super famicom??
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2006, 08:14:34 AM »
We just played this the other day and no, this isn't good either.  Was really good looking on SNES, but the character balance was horrible.  

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2006, 09:43:49 AM »
Only if you decide to really cheese it up/suck. Character balance in virtually any fighting game is warped (Smash Bros is included in this sadly, but it's more balanced than unbalance but unbalance is there). Endless Duel is still a fun time to be had overall I believe, and proof that Gundam games don't have to suck.

Oh, and it was a SNES/Super Famicom title.  
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2006, 10:39:47 AM »
I agree, I played the game on an emulater a few years ago and it was pretty good.  Of course playing the game on the keyboard was a nightmare and it became impossible to beat the later opponets but if I was to play it on a console with an SNES controller things would have gone much better.

Actually even to this day Gundam Wing: Endless Duel and Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension are still probobly the best anime based fighting games ever made.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2006, 05:13:50 PM »
Wii's sales # in 2 days (2 Dec ~ 3 Dec) [Media Create]

Software:
Wii Sports - 176,167
Wii Play - 174,297
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 139,011
Odoru Made in Wario - 63,954
Swing Golf Panya - 16,908
Ennichi no Tatsujin (Namco mini games) - 10,763
Red Steel - 9,392
SD Gundam Scad Hammers - 9,226
Tamagotchi Pika Pika Daitouryou - 8,042
Elebits - 5,791
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz - 4,423
Crayon Shin-Chan - 4,248
Trauma Center Second Opinion - 4,107
Kororinpa - 2,416
Necro-Nesia - 1,934
Wing Island - 800

total software - 631,480
Tie Ratio - 1.8

Hardware:
Wii - 350,358

Wii Play + Wii Sports = 350,564

unofficial #'s for one day were kinda off  but not by too much

-----------------------------------------
edit: The Famitsu version:

Wii: 371,936

Wii Sports: 176,880
Wii Play: 171,888
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 145,068
Odoru Made in Wario: 63,086
Swing Golf Pangya: 12,673
Ennichi no Tatsujin: 10,192
SD Gundam SCAD Hammers: 9,801
Red Steel: 8,823
Tamagotchi Pika Pika Daitouryou: 6,994
Elebits: 6,505

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2006, 06:52:31 PM »
Elebits and Necro-Nesia are out in Japan already? Damn...

And Ubi should still be proud: they're the only western company in that entire lineup and they still beat out a pile of Japanese companies, including Gundam...

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2006, 03:23:05 AM »
Wii Sports and Wii Play the top 2 selling games? Nintendo's Strategy is working I'd say.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2006, 03:56:08 AM »
Yes, too bad the third party sales aren't better.

Wii Play probably got a boost from coming with a remote.  I don't remember the exact price, but I think it was a good deal for anyone who wanted a second controller.  Even so, nice numbers.

The hardware numbers are a little lower than I thought, can anyone confirm that Japan got 400,000 units?  Hopefully they sell out by the end of the week.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2006, 04:08:45 AM »
There's no doubt every Wii sold out within hours on day one, or at the very latest by day 2. 400,000 was an estimate.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2006, 04:59:36 AM »
NPD preview

November 2006 Video Game Sales Preview: Expect 12% Sales Growth

We expect November U.S. retail video game console software sales data to be released after market close on Thursday, December 7. We forecast sales of $785 million, up 12% compared to last year.

Due to relatively light supply of next generation PS3 and Wii consoles, we do not expect next generation software sales to be greater than current generation sales in November or December.

We expect November sales to be driven by new releases Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Square Enix’s Final Fantasy XII (PS2), Microsoft’s Gears of War (360), Take-Two’s GTA: Vice City Stories (PSP), Electronic Arts’ Need for Speed Carbon (360, PS2, Xbox, PC, PSP, GBA, DS, GC, PS3, Wii), Activision’s Call of Duty 3 (PS2, 360, PS3, Xbox, Wii) and Guitar Hero II (PS2), and THQ’s WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2007 (PS2, 360), along with a slew of launch title games for the PS3 and Wii. We note that 13 games sold over 100,000 units in October, and we expect 23 in November (compared to 21 last year).
Resistance PS3 is nowhere to found I told you PS3 didn't really have a HYPED-UP title to buy for the system like Zelda for Wii or GoW for 360.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2006, 05:13:44 AM »
Actually, that's an interesting point (don't know if it was serious or not) - Sony really didn't hype Resistance very much.

That said, Sony also didn't sell enough systems.  Zelda sold almost 1:1, but I think that's pretty unusual for a system with a decent number of launch games.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2006, 03:22:51 PM »
According to 3rd party PS3 developers, they have to sell 500,000 games just to break even. Which means EVERY company that made a PS3 game is going to lose a LOT of money this year. There's no way Sony can sell much more than 500,000 systems total by the end of the year, if that, and the software tie-in is barely 1:2, everyone is totally screwed. Look for the PS3 to be dead within 2 years. Even Sony's losing hundreds for every system they sell - it's lose-lose for everyone involved, except for the eBayers.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2006, 03:57:28 PM »
No what is bad is that most titles only sell on average 350k-500k units so at best a company would break even making games for the PS3 if they are not a big company that can hurt.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.