Community Forums > Movies & TV

Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)

<< < (184/187) > >>

BlackNMild2k1:
So no one is following all the DC/DCU/DCEU drama as of the last few months?
I can't remember everything, so I'm just gonna give a quick re-cap off the top of my head.
anyone feel free to jump in and fill in blanks....

James Gunn (and some other guy) get announced as Directors/Architechs of the NewDCU - congrats ::applause::

The Flash has gone mostly silent.... rumors of cameos and spin-offs, but no news of how they plan to handle the problematic Real Life stories surrounding their lead actor....

The Rock HYPES up Black Adam as 10 years in the making.... it doesn't do AVENGERS numbers... Rock gets but hurt about not being able to compete with basic Marvel Movies and doesn't like being compared to BP:WF

The Rock leaks fake numbers to the trades to make it look like BA is gonna be profitable.... gets called out for in in the news. LOL

meanwhile.....
Henry Cavill quits the Witcher supposedly to return as Superman w/ a Cameo in The Flash and at the end of Black Adam.
- He was apparently making $1M a episode for the Witcher? hope it's not too late.

Rumors of a Batman Beyond spin-off (from The Flash) starring Michael Keaton as Old Man Bruce
- also cameos of WW, and other Batman's in The Flash

Gunn (and Safran?) have been quietly sculpting an Outline for the future of the DC Hierarchy (LOL)
apparently, this shift in plans has killed the following items:
- Wonder Woman 3
- WW's cameo in The Flash
- Cavil Superman project
- Cavil's Superman cameo in The Flash
- potential for a Black Adam 2 (and The Rocks involvement with the DCU?*)
- The rumored Batman Beyond Spin-off
- and anything else that hasn't already entered production.... will be re-evaluated.... so all those projects that DC has announced and never got around to actually starting may never come out in the forms they were planning (Green Lantern, Booster Gold, etc etc etc)

But Gunn has announced that he is working on a new Superman script, and it will be about a younger Superman

Aqua-man may now become Lobo in this rebooted NewDCU

The Batman 2 should proceed unimpeded by any plans to enter this grander rebooted NewDCU (shall remain stand-alone for now.... I assume this to also be true about The Joker)

Ben Affleck will likely be directing something in this new DCU
and Henry Cavill is still on good terms... so maybe he'll be back too?

Plans for this New DCU will likely be shared in the next few months, Gunn has stated he would liketo focus on some more obscure characters (outside of his "young" Superman movie), is very vocal about slapping down false rumors on Twitter... or Mastadon... or whatever other new Social Media is happening out there due to other unrelated craziness out there right now.

p.s. The Rock is apparently so upset with WB's changing of the Heirarchy of the DCU, that he has unfollowed WB and Black Adam on Twitter. :LOL:

p.p.s. The Rock apparently also turned down opportunities to appear in Shazam as Black Adam, but I guess he only respects Superman as a potential opponent, and wants nothing to do with Shazam....
I guess it doesn't matter now, as he will have nothing to do with Shazam, Black Adam, DC, and probably WB for a while.

Did I miss anything important

ThePerm:
I think the biggest issue with the DC universe is the main characters will be public domain soonish

Superman 2034
Batman 2035
Green Lantern 2036
Shazam 2036
Aquaman 2037
Wonder Woman 2038

That may seem like a long time, but Man of Steel came out almost 10 years ago. Warner Bros. Has been slow with output.

nickmitch:

--- Quote from: BlackNMild2k1 on December 17, 2022, 03:01:33 PM ---The Flash has gone mostly silent.... rumors of cameos and spin-offs, but no news of how they plan to handle the problematic Real Life stories surrounding their lead actor....

--- End quote ---

The news around The Flash leaves a particularly bad taste in my mouth after they canceled an all-but-finished Batgirl movie for HBO Max and decided to just reboot the whole DCEU. Like, if they're going to go all-in on a new direction, are canceling projects, and have the lead actor **** bad press constantly, then why hang on it?

--- Quote ---(All the Black Adam stuff including Cavill quitting his job at The Witcher to be Superman for one scene only to get fired again)

--- End quote ---

Black Adam was 10 years in the making because The Rock kept getting too big for his britches with the role. He signed on to play the character and didn't want Black Adam to just be a one-off movie villain, which is fine except that the character is basically C-List. It's a B-List villain's arch-nemesis with a muddied background. He fought for the solo film and then again to avoid having Black Adam lose to Shazam. He wanted a character that could go toe-to-toe with Superman and actually have that fight play out.

I like The Rock, and I thought Black Adam was pretty good, but Dwayne Johnson is the type of star that you build around. Dealing with him as a star and having to involve his production company likely wasn't worth it to James Gunn and Other Guy for that level of character. It sucks Cavill got roped into it, but Zack Snyder's Man of Steel sucked, and Cavill was left playing a stiff, two-dimensional Superman.

ThePerm:
Well there is the Fox X-men reboot strategy.

Fox released First Class, which rebooted X-men. They were able to keep some stuff, and move on.

And Marvel has has some soft reboots in the past. We don't see Terrance Howard or Edward Norton running around as super heroes. Edgar Wrights Ant-man never happened.

To make a super hero universe work, everyone's ego but the producers has to be hung up on the coat rack. Why was Batman Forever better than Batman and Robin? probably a lot of egos working against the movie by that time.

Actually the Burton Schumacher anthology is actually something to look at for reboots. They kept on Alfred and Commisioner Gordon, and Robin for the second set, but the villains changed, even batman changed, and it really didn't matter. Not great movies, but the general public were a lot more capable of moving on with new casting at the time.

I think they'll build the new universe with the Aquaman and Peacemaker crew staying and everyone who can't hang or has too much of an ego or wants too much money is going to get recast. I'm not even sure Gal Gadot is gone, but Patty Jenkins may not be meshing.

I think the best thing they can do is Cast Khary Payton as the live action Cyborg and play his theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR131fc2pZY

BlackNMild2k1:
Looks like The Flash is finally coming out. June 16th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50TpsfMi9ac

It's really not looking as bad as I was thinking. Actually looks like it might actually be really good...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version