Poll

Who Should Be Added in the Second DLC Wave?

Shrek
1 (2.5%)
Godzilla
1 (2.5%)
James Bond
1 (2.5%)
James Jones
1 (2.5%)
Super Kong
1 (2.5%)
Tutorial Pig
1 (2.5%)
Who cares? Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination
1 (2.5%)
Your Mom
2 (5%)
Malon
3 (7.5%)
Geno
2 (5%)
Funky Kong
4 (10%)
Reggie
2 (5%)
Iwata
1 (2.5%)
The Playstation All-Stars
1 (2.5%)
Goku
1 (2.5%)
The volleyball from Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball
2 (5%)
Nintendo Characters!
6 (15%)
The Mon-Stars from Space Jam
2 (5%)
More 3rd Party Characters!
5 (12.5%)
Sakurai
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 21, 2020, 02:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC  (Read 127064 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Prediction Challenge!
« Reply #450 on: November 07, 2018, 12:02:32 AM »
I think a new, unannounced Pokemon makes sense.  It's likely the designs are finalized, so Sakurai would have had time to pick.  Or, if he's just obligated to keep the placeholder, the last of the DLC isn't promised until February of 2020, so there's time.

Bandana Waddle Dee makes a lot of sense too.  It'd be a cool way to incorporate more things from the most recent Kirby games.

The only problem with those picks is that the franchises are already represented with stages and music, which are just as big a part of the bundles as the characters themselves.  Not that there couldn't be more (i.e., Poke Floats Redux), but I think they might go for something with less current representation.

There's a Spring-Man assist trophy and a Ribbon-Girl mii costume, but there's no ARMS stage.  So, I'm gonna keep guessing Min Min, but I think Max Brass may also have a shot.  I also think Nintendo would want more ARMS representation, but maybe Sakurai didn't quite have the time to fully implement a character.

Banjo-Kazooie makes sense if there's some reaching across the aisle.  MS seems more than willing and they can give Nintendo something they reasonably should want. 

Those are the "safest" picks I can think of.  I'm sure they'll throw out some more surprises. 

Others I have hopes for: Travis Touchdown, since Nintendo has Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes on the horizon.  Also, Professor Layton could still be in this.  Not really sure if either franchise has representation.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 11, 2018, 09:52:45 PM »
Cool new Smash Bros Ultimate Trailer, the Banner comes to life!

https://youtu.be/qKLSpdJPEaA

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2018, 10:04:42 PM »
It also syncs to Queen's Don't Stop Me Now.

https://youtu.be/d3aZSpGwDJ4

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #453 on: November 12, 2018, 09:12:52 AM »
Smash Trailer goes with everything.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 23, 2018, 09:49:03 PM »
IT'S HAPPENING!!!!!!

The game has been leaked and datamined.  The entire soundtrack has been leaked, I repeat it's out in the wild and is glorious.

This is now your new national anthem.

**** I've only heard a few tracks so far but damn this is just incredible.  Tracks are all over Youtube if anyone's interested.

Oh yeah there's also Adventure mode spoilers so be careful when looking online people. 

edit after hearing more tracks

Holy ****!!!!

We are not worthy Sakurai, we are not worthy. :'(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:27:26 AM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 24, 2018, 02:19:48 AM »
*Lowers monocle* Is GPG really 15.5 min long? Only one way to find out.

omfg they added lyrics and i can't stop nah nahing along. this is gonna be a hit at clubs, as  walk-in song for sporting events; it's got brand new life.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:31:32 AM by ReggieFA! »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 24, 2018, 02:58:38 PM »
Obviously it's not 15 minutes long. It just loops. Still, glad to hear the full version now after snippet posted on the Smash blog. I really loved that song when it was posted and contemplated making a big post about it when it was first put on the blog but never got around to it. Guess the reason the music has been doled out so slowly is that the number of remixes (new arrangements) is only around 97 or so. Which is still a lot but one always still hopes for more.

Still, if you love DK and particularly DKC2, well, then good news. There are 2 new arrangements based around that game.

Here's Crocodile Cacophony ready to blow your socks off also.

Did someone want Snake Chantey in Smash? Well, it's here too with a new arrangement!

And finally a bit more DKC goodness with this arrangement that combines the Island Map and Bonus Stage music into a jazzy calypso track.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 24, 2018, 11:30:24 PM »
Looks like Sakurai wasn't lying when he said he allowed the musicians to choose the songs they wanted.

List of new remixes per series in Ultimate.

Mega Man: 17
Castlevania: 13
Fire Emblem: 10
Zelda: 8
Pokemon: 8
Mario: 6
DK: 5
Animal Crossing: 4
Splatoon: 4
Metroid: 3
F-Zero: 3
Kirby: 2
EarthBound: 2
Pikmin: 2
Metal Gear: 2
Street Fighter: 2
Yoshi: 1

No surprise Mega Man and Castlevania would get the most remixes.  Those two franchises basically raised the bar for music during the 8 bit era and I imagine many of the composers were probably inspired by one or both of these franchises and wanted to take there pick when given the opportunity.

Castlevania is particular is basically treated as music royalty.  Not only are the new remixes incredible, the majority of the direct rips come from either the Judgement or Harmony of Despair version which amazing remixes in their own right as well.  Of course the one negative I have is the version of Tragic Prince is from Harmony of Despair when I find the original from Symphony of the Night to be much better but I can see why Sakurai choose HOD version since it starts with more energy so it'd fit a fighting game better while the original was a slower build before it goes crazy.  Other then that one nit pick, I couldn't be happier with the Castlevania selection and It's going to be hard not spending most of my fights on the Dracula's Castle stage.

Mega Man is right up there but the one negative is the majority of its music is from the Classic series.  Only one remix is from X, and then we get a direct rip of X vs Zero from X5, Zero's theme from the first Megaman Zero and Shooting Star from one of the Star Force games.  I mean the Classic series music is still awesome and many of the new remixes are top notch but it would have been nice to get a little more variety from all the different series like Castlevania got throughout its history.  Still, at least the new remixes are top notch and really show why his original name is Rockman after all.

Seriously, how in the hell is Top Man Stage this fucking awesome?  I mean the original was nice and all but never one of my favorite Mega Man tracks, while this remixes just made it one.

Oh God the We're the Robots remix from MM9.

Goes for almost 3 minutes before it repeats.  You know, I think that's one of the reasons why the composers are knocking it out of the park with this game is because Sakurai removed the rule that all remixes have to be around exactly 2 minutes that Brawl and Smash 4 had.  Most of the remixes in Ultimate are around 2:30 minutes which is probably giving composers more room to go all out with what they want to do.  For a music composer, having even an extra 30 seconds can certainly make a big difference when trying to develop a song.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:34:11 PM by Luigi Dude »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 25, 2018, 12:45:01 PM »
We're close enough to release that I'm just going to wait for the real thing.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 25, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »
Plus, Nintendo is sending out copyright claims so a lot of these links are going bye-bye already. Honestly, I'm amazed at how much the music has re-energized me about Smash. My enthusiasm for the game kind of hit a lull after the high of K. Rool being included. No announcement since has been as big. Yet, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised since the music is what got me into the series and Melee in the first place. It's one of my favorite elements of Smash even though it doesn't always seem to be as highly regarded by others about the games. The focus is usually just on the characters and multiplayer.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 27, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
Is there a master list somewhere for all of the songs confirmed so far?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 27, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »
Time to report this!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #462 on: November 27, 2018, 09:16:29 PM »
I think a new, unannounced Pokemon makes sense.  It's likely the designs are finalized, so Sakurai would have had time to pick.  Or, if he's just obligated to keep the placeholder, the last of the DLC isn't promised until February of 2020, so there's time.

Been thinking about this again.  I wondered what the reaction would be if Nintendo picked a Pokemon based on an unreleased design, and the design gets revealed and it isn't popular/as well-liked as hoped.  I'm imagining the Smash DLC would come at the same time as the Gen VII Pokemon game.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, we're supposed to get a Fire Emblem game in the Spring, right? I wouldn't be surprised if the main character in that was DLC.

New Picks:
-Travis Touchdown
-Gen VIII Pokemon
-Unnamed(?) Fire Emblem Protagonist Edelgard
-Bandanna Waddle Dee
-Min Min
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:22:05 PM by nickmitch »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Is Your Body Ready?!?!
« Reply #463 on: November 28, 2018, 08:07:20 PM »
r/Fireemblem is convinced that Edelgard will be one of the DLC picks. She's the gal wielding an axe and magic in the trailer for Three Houses, and she already has a following because of the focus on her in the trailer and her more unique weapons.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 28, 2018, 09:19:43 PM »
I just want a Monster Hunter representative (Probably the Felynes, there is so much potential for their moveset for Smash) because that means we'll get Monster Hunter music and a stage other than the Forest and Hills theme that's being used for the Rathalos fight which by the way, is probably the weakest track in the entire series but because it's the closest thing Rathalos has to it's own theme music that's the thing that got in.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #465 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:35 PM »
The only way I would want a Fire Emblem character is if it isn't a sword fighter.  I wish they would have done Fire Emblem differently.  I think they should have only had like 3 FE characters representing a Sword, Spear, and Axe design with very slight bonuses to attacking the other character classes.  The fact that such a simple idea escaped them and we have so many Fire Emblem characters makes me sad. 

Now, I guess for DLC I would like to see Ribbon Girl...and I dunno who else honestly.  Maybe someone from Custom Robo, or Advance Wars, or F-Zero just get a rival for Captain Falcon.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:01:57 AM by Spak-Spang »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #466 on: November 28, 2018, 11:42:54 PM »
If it *is* or *isn't* a sword fighter? Just checking.

(And yeah, when I Sharpied in a Three Houses character it was Edelgard, we have enough My Units already)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 28, 2018, 11:50:01 PM »
After the music leaks, I'm convinced a Kirby character is likely DLC.  Only 2 new remixes for the Kirby series is a rather glaring omission to me when Kirby is one of the most popular and prolific series in Smash Bros and is also famous for its music as well.  Even with the composers getting to choose which songs they want I find it hard to imagine only 2 composers wanted to remix music from Kirby.

I also think Elma could still be very likely as well.  Not a single song from Xenoblade X is in the game while Xenoblade 2 got a few direct rips.  So not only does a popular character like Elma not even become an Assist Trophy, but not a single song from her game is in the game either?

So yeah, a lack of music in both cases does make you wonder if something is being held back for both characters reveals.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #468 on: November 29, 2018, 12:02:24 AM »
If it *is* or *isn't* a sword fighter? Just checking.

(And yeah, when I Sharpied in a Three Houses character it was Edelgard, we have enough My Units already)

Isn't...Thanks for the catch I edited the post.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #469 on: November 29, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »
I guess I wasn't following the FE news, lol.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #470 on: November 29, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »
My question about the Kirby music.  Are all the other Kirby music from The Wii U game already represented?  Because you know it could mean that there was just already a lot of Kirby music in the game.  And Kirby music isn't the highlight of Nintendo games.  I just honestly don't think Kirby needs another representation.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 30, 2018, 10:35:29 PM »
My question about the Kirby music.  Are all the other Kirby music from The Wii U game already represented?  Because you know it could mean that there was just already a lot of Kirby music in the game.  And Kirby music isn't the highlight of Nintendo games.  I just honestly don't think Kirby needs another representation.

All previous Kirby remixes are still in the game but that doesn't mean anything when the other franchises kept all there remixed music from previous games as well, except for Yoshi which removed the Woolly World remix but kept the original rip for some strange reason.

But this is a series where now Metroid has 4 reps and Fire Emblem has 7.  Kirby is more popular then both franchises and yet had the least amount of new content added into the base game of Ultimate.  Especially when there were 7 different Kirby related games released on the 3DS, which will technically be 8 since the enhanced port of Epic Yarn comes out next year.

For a franchise that's as popular and prolific as Kirby, it does seem rather suspicious it's be that low, like they're holding something back.  Remember the DLC characters are choices Nintendo sent to Sakurai, and considering how important Kirby is to Nintendo, I'd imagine they'd have a request for at least someone Kirby related.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 01, 2018, 03:24:26 PM »
I bought the game yesterday on the eShop in order to have it pre-loaded and ready at launch, and I already got the email with my code for Piranha Plant .
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 02, 2018, 03:04:59 AM »
To be fair Kirby really struck gold in terms of it's soundtrack with Robobot. If the robot apocalypse comes with more beats like this than I'll take it.

But the biggest issue with Kirby Music is there's something off about the orchestral music in those games.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #474 on: December 02, 2018, 04:33:22 PM »
I can't believe the game comes out THIS WEEK!  Time has flown.

Super excited.