NWR Interactive > TalkBack

Switch Fastest Selling Game System Ever In United States

(1/6) > >>

Shaymin:
Nintendo now has the top two slots.http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/46135/switch-fastest-selling-game-system-ever-in-united-statesThe Switch's first ten months have put Nintendo into a Wii position.Nintendo confirmed today that 4.8 million Switches have been sold in the United States in the first ten months, a 20% increase over the Wii that previously held the record. The numbers are based on Nintendo internal tracking.Game sales for major Nintendo titles were also announced in proportion to Switch sales. Super Mario Odyssey has sold to 60% of Switch owners for at least 2.88m copies, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold to 55% of Switch owners (>2.64m), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 50% (>2.4m) and Splatoon 2 20% (>960,000).

Lemonade:
It makes me very happy to know that Swtch is selling super well.

I wonder if it is possible for Switch to outsell Wii lifetime sales.

NWR_insanolord:
Switch is exactly what I wanted as a game console, and I'm extremely happy to see it appeals to a lot of other people as well.

Luigi Dude:

--- Quote from: Lemonade on January 04, 2018, 08:33:09 AM ---I wonder if it is possible for Switch to outsell Wii lifetime sales.

--- End quote ---

Well the DS outsold the Wii by over 50 million so the Switch has a good chance since it's combining handheld and home console support into one.  This should help it maintain its momentum longer then the Wii was able to.

Ian Sane:

--- Quote from: NWR_insanolord on January 04, 2018, 08:58:43 AM ---Switch is exactly what I wanted as a game console, and I'm extremely happy to see it appeals to a lot of other people as well.

--- End quote ---

I think that's the whole key to the Switch's success - the concept is something people actually want.  Look at the top Switch sellers.  Zelda and Mario Kart are also Wii U games and Splatoon 2 is an iterative sequel to a Wii U game.  So the Wii U had games people wanted, it's just that the console's concept of having a big touchscreen controller that's tethered to the same building the system is in made no sense.  It wasn't something anyone thought of asking for and there wasn't an obvious benefit to it.  But the Switch is something people were asking for - can I have a console and handheld in one?  It's really the Wii U concept if it met people's expectation that you could take the Gamepad anywhere.

Nintendo hasn't made traditional consoles since the Wii.  The Wii and Switch were successful, the Wii U was not.  I think the key thing that Nintendo has to learn from this is if a console is based around a concept it has to be a concept that people have dreamed about, not some abstract concept they need to be sold on.  The Wii took off because swinging your arms and having the character on screen do the same thing was something people wished for since they first saw a videogame.  Handheld videogames have been around for a long time and the whole demand for them was "how can I take videogames everywhere?"  But we always had to deal with a compromised scaled-back experience for portable gaming.  The second the Game & Watch came out everyone thought "man, it would be awesome if this could play the same games as my home console".  These ideas are actually pretty damn obvious ones, they just needed someone to work out the tech and put it in an affordable product.

I think the Switch can outsell the Wii because the Wii was one-dimensional and once the novelty wore off the general public lost interest in it.  The Switch isn't a gimmick, it's a perfectly conventional video game system that happens to work well as both a handheld and a console.  There isn't as much of a restriction on the types of games devs can make for it, unless we really start seeing the beefed up specs of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X getting pushed.  I think the wild card might be the Switch's online system which is a key part of the system that is still TBA.  If Nintendo really buggered that up then maybe it might sour people on the Switch, particularly since this is now a pay-service.  Nintendo's usual online buffoonery benefitted from being free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version