Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

(1/5) > >>

Caterkiller:
I went through topics from 2022 and 2021 and didn't see anything so I'm putting this up.

I'm happy to discuss all aspects of the game but what I really want to talk about though is potential flying! Be it through a Loftwing type of mount or any other means. Preferably a Loftwing mount for my tastes. The first thought that comes to mind is that it would just break the game but if designed with the whole game in mind I think it could be balanced pretty well.

1 - Glider - It's back and it's undoubtedly going to be used as heavily as it always was. Just looking at that one portion of the trailer with Link gliding into absolute nothingness with sky islands way the heck out I just can't imagine the Glider being the means of transportation between the sky islands. If there is a Loftwing maybe it gets you through the larger gaps but the Glider is then used for more narrow areas and precision landings.

2 - Underground - If we have a ton of caves, cities and other locales underground I'm certain this is where no Loftwing would be allowed. If the underground is as extensive as even 1/4 of top ground Hyrule is that's a ton of area to explore that keeps the Glider and other traversal tools relevant that outright flight wouldn't completely omit.

3 - Dungeons - Epona don't get to go in dungeons neither does Loftwing. Same pricipal as the underground.

4 - Sky - If the Loftwing is limited to the "heavenly" part of the sky maybe there are certain natural or unnatural barriers that keep you from just flying to any portion right off the bat. Those weird antenna may produce force fields, super powerful monsters early game Link isn't ready for yet, thunder clouds, etc. At some point though I would love to feel the freedom of flight again like Skyward Sword but in a much more meaningful world. Let the Loftwing land with me on the ground. Let me feed it and pet it like I do my horse.

5 - Hyrule Surface - Depending on how much has changed I wonder how much the development team wants us to climb the same land masses like we once did? New traversal tools like the Hook/Claw Shot would change things up to let the old feel new again and who knows what other new powers will be introduced. Maybe the story logic says Loftwings can't go down to the surface again but man I'd love if by the end of the game we could totally fly around the surface and the sky at will. Especially if it means epic boss battles taking place across the sky during flight and having to free fall at times and what ever the devil else they cook up.

Oh and that big, rock bird, floating in the sky last trailer? That's a bad omen...

Evan_B:
Don’t really think anyone is anticipating this game at all, honestly.

…okay, so jokes aside, I’m pretty stunned at how little we actually know of the gameplay and narrative for this game. We didn’t really know much about the original BotW prior to launch but we had some idea of what gameplay would be like. I think the excuse for this is very similar to Super Mario Galaxy 2: this game is a sequel. Because it is not a “new” title, it will rely heavily on the gameplay functions of its predecessor and maybe add some new, minor elements. I imagine this game will be about vertical exploration in comparison with BotW’s horizontal traversal. Which is fine.

Luigi Dude:

--- Quote from: Evan_B on January 09, 2023, 06:00:04 PM ---Don’t really think anyone is anticipating this game at all, honestly.

…okay, so jokes aside, I’m pretty stunned at how little we actually know of the gameplay and narrative for this game. We didn’t really know much about the original BotW prior to launch but we had some idea of what gameplay would be like. I think the excuse for this is very similar to Super Mario Galaxy 2: this game is a sequel. Because it is not a “new” title, it will rely heavily on the gameplay functions of its predecessor and maybe add some new, minor elements. I imagine this game will be about vertical exploration in comparison with BotW’s horizontal traversal. Which is fine.

--- End quote ---

We do know about some of the new gameplay from Nintendo's patents they filed for the game over a year ago.  One patent allows Link to phase through platforms from below the surface which they showed in one of the trailers.  Another patent showed the ability to rewind time on objects, which was also shown in a trailer when Link has a bolder move back up a hill.  The last one was for Link to be able to move into different positions when aiming the bow while free-falling.

Evan_B:

--- Quote from: Luigi Dude on January 09, 2023, 06:48:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: Evan_B on January 09, 2023, 06:00:04 PM ---Don’t really think anyone is anticipating this game at all, honestly.

--- End quote ---

We do know about some of the new gameplay from Nintendo's patents they filed for the game over a year ago.  One patent allows Link to phase through platforms from below the surface which they showed in one of the trailers.  Another patent showed the ability to rewind time on objects, which was also shown in a trailer when Link has a bolder move back up a hill.  The last one was for Link to be able to move into different positions when aiming the bow while free-falling.

--- End quote ---
Yes, but none of this has been explicitly stated by Nintendo. We’ve learned about it through weird gameplay patents.

Adrock:

--- Quote from: Caterkiller on January 09, 2023, 02:16:03 PM ---2 - Underground - If we have a ton of caves, cities and other locales underground I'm certain this is where no Loftwing would be allowed. If the underground is as extensive as even 1/4 of top ground Hyrule is that's a ton of area to explore that keeps the Glider and other traversal tools relevant that outright flight wouldn't completely omit.
--- End quote ---
I’m a little concerned about possibly exploring caves and the underground because areas like Thyphlo Ruins that were completely blacked out without a torch were among my least favorite parts of the game.

--- Quote ---3 - Dungeons - Epona don't get to go in dungeons neither does Loftwing. Same pricipal as the underground.
--- End quote ---
I expect larger dungeons than the shrines though I think exploration is still going to be bulk of the game.

--- Quote ---4 - Sky - If the Loftwing is limited to the "heavenly" part of the sky maybe there are certain natural or unnatural barriers that keep you from just flying to any portion right off the bat.
--- End quote ---
Part of me thinks the floating landmasses is how Nintendo plans on changing the surface as in they lift up from Hyrule which not only alters huge areas of the surface but opens up underground caves.

--- Quote ---5 - Hyrule Surface - Depending on how much has changed I wonder how much the development team wants us to climb the same land masses like we once did?
--- End quote ---
I was a little concerned about this, but it’s hard for me not to trust that Nintendo will do something fun and interesting here. Aside from what I mentioned above, there is a possibility Nintendo simply extends the map beyond Hyrule from Breath of the Wild into neighboring kingdoms, empires etc.. You can clearly see islands in the distance. The desert simply stops and you can’t travel farther despite visible terrain. The entire top of the map has an entire inaccessible landmass. Mount Agaat is the only area on the Breath of the Wild map that is labeled but can’t be visited by normal means.

Anyway, I’m curious about the story. The Tears of the Kingdom logo looks Zonai-ish and very little was revealed about them. The Seven Heroines (actually, eight) were similarly mysterious. Also, I’ve wondered what would happen if the goddesses returned to Hyrule. “We f-ing gave you these triangles for peace and prosperity, and it’s just been eons of y’all breaking ****. You split the timeline three ways. We didn’t know that was even possible. How did you do that? Why?! **** you guys. We’re taking the Triforce with us.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version