Author Topic: It blows my mind how many PS3, 360, and Wii U games do not run in native 1080p  (Read 5819 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1113342#post1113342

...hell, many of these don't even run in 720p. Honestly, I knew that they didn't run at full resolution, but the amount of false advertising on the behalf of the companies and the misconceptions on the behalf of the gaming populace astounds me. I got into an argument with a guy saying that Metal Gear Solid 4 ran at native 1080p simply because it says that on the box... and even after I showed him that it was in fact, only 1024x768 (4:3 aspect ration, for pete's sake) with a little AA mixed in.

Hell, the Wii U doesn't have many games at native 1080p either, but just a little better than the other two systems.

All I want for this coming gen is for the PS4 and Xone run all their games at native 1080p at 60FPS with a ****-ton of AA. If they can't even do that, what the **** is the point of bragging about how good all these new games look?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Most people don't care that much about the resolution. Developers prioritize other things because of that. I wouldn't expect the PS4/XB1 to change that too much. Early stuff that's basically ported from 360/PS3 will probably be pretty good about it, but once devs start using the extra power you'll see the framerates drop.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
If you're game runs natively at 1080p and you display it at 1080p, then "a **** ton of AA" probably doesn't do that much for you. Anyhow, if someone lied to you and said Arkham City was running at native 1080p on the Wii U, and you believe them and agreed it looked great, would you really be upset to find out later that it wasn't?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Some people would.

But not any reasonable person.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
I'm more angry of the misinformation than the fact that it doesn't run at that resolution. I feel like that native resolution should be listed on the back of the box.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
That would probably be confusing and pointless.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
the misconceptions on the behalf of the gaming populace astounds me. I got into an argument with a guy saying that Metal Gear Solid 4 ran at native 1080p simply because it says that on the box... and even after I showed him that it was in fact, only 1024x768 (4:3 aspect ration, for pete's sake) with a little AA mixed in.

If people have no idea and can't actually tell the difference why should they care.
If you have to prove it to someone it means they don't notice the difference in their daily use.
That is why you are most likely going to keep seeing games go under 1080p on the upcoming consoles.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
If people have no idea and can't actually tell the difference why should they care.
You just don't understand. This is a matter of argument between two gentlemen:

But honestly, resolution doesn't really matter. I played games on my PC in 1600x1200 or something in 90s, and it was the same as playing in 800x600, only icons were smaller (consoles more than a decade later still can't match that). I also played a lot of Wii games in 480p and had the time of my gaming life.

Jaggies do bother me just like everyone else (one of the reasons i haven't started Xenoblade despite owning it for more than a year), but i'm not gonna cry myself to sleep over it. Great gameplay trumps everything every time for me, so jaggies or not ExciteTruck is still fun as hell.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
And of course, the "gameplay matters, not graphics" argument. No ****, sherlock. But if I could have the same gameplay, but in a higher resolution and (toss up) AA at 60FPS? I want that. There's no reason they shouldn't all be at 1080p and 60fps. No reason.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
FPS is definitely far more important. Nothing worse than when a game 'blurs' during fast-paced action. I remember being blown away by how clean F-Zero on GC ran.

I don't think there is an argument here though. Who wouldn't want something to look cleaner and smoother if possible?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
1080p is a stretch on PS3 and 360.  Heck 720p is most of the time.  Wii U less so.  PS4 and XBox One probably even less.  PCs yeah thats old hat.  PCs needed to wait for the common Monitor tech to catch up.  So we'll probably see as more games target WiiU,PS4, or XBone as there target system that 1080p will be more prevalent w/ a few Tech Demos for 4k.  With how simple it is to downgrade assets for smaller resolutions, 3DS Games getting their assets designed in Full HD resolutions etc., we'll probably see that as being an easy Checkbox to check for the games that were target at PS3/360.  Just throw the raw extra Horse Power at rendering everything at a higher resolution.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
My TV is too small for me to notice much of a difference.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Who wouldn't want something to look cleaner and smoother if possible?

The ten or so people who said the opposite right above you? :(

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Who wouldn't want something to look cleaner and smoother if possible?

The ten or so people who said the opposite right above you? :(

In most cases, native 1080p would happen at the expense of something else. If I can choose between 1080p or 60 frames per second I'd take the latter every time. I'm certainly not opposed to games running in 1080p, but that's a lower priority for me than a lot of other things. I don't believe the situation in regard to those trade-offs will change significantly with the next generation of consoles.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
720p @ 60fps is perfect for me.
30 fps for games that don't require such fluidity.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
On PC 1080p is like 5 Years ago. I have no idea why you would lower the resolution only to use AA on it. AA is self defeating as AA itself uses resources that could have been used to increase the resolution or GFX. Using AA on such a blown up image barely makes the difference.

AA is a bonus, if the game runs nice and smooth, you don't "need" AA especially at 1080 unless the screen to glued to your forehead.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?