Author Topic: PlayStation Vita TV -- Say what!?  (Read 22139 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
PlayStation Vita TV -- Say what!?
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:51:34 AM »
Wow, now that's an interesting piece of news.

It's covered on a bunch of websites, and more information is rolling out slowly since the reveal this morning, so I'll assume people get details elsewhere... but the short story is a set-top box that plays Vita games (and compatible PSP/PSOne Classics, minus any games with touch-based controls) on your TV for a sweet $100.

Sony fanboys are pretty much creaming themselves at the announcement, but I've got some questions before getting too excited.
  • Which games offer full screen video?  With PSP TV-out features, there was some serious letterboxing going on for PSP games while PSOne Classics were full-screen. Hopefully Vita TV won't suffer the same fate.
  • Will touch support be added later when PS4 controllers are available?
  • What are the plans for video steaming?  Netflix capability alone would almost justify the cost of this box in our household - surely Sony understands the value in making this box a cheap steaming option.
  • How long will it take to improve Vita backwards compatibility?  Right now there are more PSP/PSOne Classic games that aren't compatible than the other way around. Sony hasn't made quick progress on making old content playable.
  • When will it get released in North America?
Despite my reservations, this is a pretty cool bit of news.  Anyone else excited to hear more about the new hardware?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita TV -- Say what!?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »
First off.  F U Sony.  Seriously you couldn't have announced this stuff Saturday before we recorded NFR 23.

Now that is out of the way.  I think this is a clever move by Sony.  I also think that it should have been released last Year.

Honestly if its DLNA Compliant and does Netflix.  I have a use for this.  Well, did have a use for it.  Now not so much with the PS4 coming out.  I'll move my PS3 but I did have a use for it.

• Will touch support be added later when PS4 controllers are available?
Thats a big question I had as well.  I would surely hope so since its suppose to be able to stream PS4 Games plus it could mimick the Vita's own touch system.

Now another question would be if this ups the bar enough to have Nintendo make a 3DS Player for WiiU.  This is also an interesting solution to the 1 PS4 Multiple TVs problem but if its your main Media hub you probably still be SOL when you want to play in another room.  At least you can still Stream Netflix and play PSN/Vita game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
When I saw it I couldn't help thinking of the 0DS mock up
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18yhov1wf0ysopng/original.png

I love how Nintendo and Sony are now locked in a race to downgrade their portable hardware as much s possible. I guess after getting rid of the screen and battery the next thing to go will be the controls.

BUT SERIOUSLY: I think it's a actually a brilliant idea for a budget console. It's similar to the android micro consoles but from a house hold name in consumer electronics  and with decent controls plus an infinitely better software library (not counting emulators of course).

If you've got PS+ and are stacking up the Vita games in your download library but don't have the actuall console this would be a very cheap way of enjoying a lot of pretty good titles.  There is a list somewhere of what games will be compatible (sounds like the lack of micro phone and touch is here to stay). Add that to the PS4 remote play function and I think it's  very interesting gadget. Heck there must be a small market for screen capture enthusiasts alone.

I doubt it'll be that successful though. People aren't queuing up to play the Vita as it is and the price of PS3 keeps falling. I know I'd rather have access to the PS3 library then the Vita's. And I don't think there is any evidence of micro consoles doing well outside their kick starter campaigns yet.

It'll certainly be interesting to watch this play out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
I guess after getting rid of the screen and battery the next thing to go will be the controls.

To late.  Vita TV doesn't have controllers of its own.  Danny Biven confirmed their patching in the PS4 controller and it currently uses the PS3 Controller.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:58:56 AM »
... It's similar to the android micro consoles ...

Everyone is making this comparison, but I'm not entirely sold on it being an "Ouya Killer" like people are saying... it's targeting a different market. In my mind the Ouya and other android micro consoles are for people who want to tinker with PC-on-TV features, create and/or publish their own content, and have a geeky little time-waster. The PS Vita TV is more of a streaming box with real gaming attached. If successful, I could see this being a "Roku Killer" much more than an "Ouya Killer"... although accessibility will probably end up being key and not including a cheap remote in the $100 package seems odd.

Maybe I'm way off on this call though.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 11:14:12 AM »
Similar to an Android console except you don't get a gigantic selection of $2-5 games, or make your own. I don't see it as any anything killer.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »
The idea of playing a handheld's library on a television is intriguing except Vita TV doesn't play all Vita games, notably those that use the touchscreen and rear touchpad. Not sure how Sony could get around that. Regardless, that alone makes this useless to me.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
The Vita TV confuses me as a Vita owner. Yes, I would love to play some of my Vita games on a TV, but most of the ones I would play there have at least some touchscreen capability so they're not supported.  At first I thought this thing might be some sort of signal booster for the Vita to better support remote/online play (my biggest problem with the Vita), but it's not going to do that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »
I wonder if you can use Vita as a controller. I mean, $100 is a lot just play games on a TV for a handheld you ready own, but it'd be a nice option.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »
Any Vita owner is not the target market for this.  Plain and simple. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
Didn't say they were. I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion. I said being able to use a Vita as a controller would be a nice option. And I'd think it would allow all Vita games to be playable on it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:17:58 PM by Adrock »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
I'm a Vita owner. I want this. Hell, I'm thinking about selling the Vita I just got two months ago.

Also: they announced that touch screen and back panel commands can be mapped to the L3/R3 buttons and a on-screen cursor similar to Dragon's Crown's cursor.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/09/you-can-activate-touch-controls-on-ps-vita-tv-by-using-the-sticks/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:20:58 PM by Oblivion »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »
Interesting.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
Didn't say they were. I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion. I said being able to use a Vita as a controller would be a nice option. And I'd think it would allow all Vita games to be playable on it.
More in response to Broodwars.

Their are Vita owners that are going to want this.  Their just frosting.  Much like 3DS owners that want a 2DS.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »
But the Vita TV compliments the Vita and PS4 more so than the 2DS compliments the 3DS. Actually, I'd go so far to say that the 2DS is accomplishing the opposite of what the Vita TV is doing.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
Its a Vita using the TV as a display.  If you own a Vita and a PS4 the only thing you gain is a streaming box and Vita on the TV.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »
Its a Vita using the TV as a display.  If you own a Vita and a PS4 the only thing you gain is a streaming box and Vita on the TV.

Which if you actually want to use remote play could be invaluable. Just think if you didn't have to move your PS4 to use it as your BluRay player in your bedroom. You could just stream it over to your bedroom TV. I could see you having a use for that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »

Um, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's a streaming box (which already cost around $100) plus it plays Vita games, PSP games from the store, and PS1 games? AND it can stream PS4 games from anywhere in the house? And actually, you can just bring the Vita TV to a friends house instead of your PS4 and stream it like that too.

Much better than a sub-par 3DS that only benefits young children. This product benefits anyone who buys it, from those that don't own a Sony system to someone balls-deep into the Sony architecture.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »
If you DON'T own a Vita their is good value here.
If you DO own a Vita what is the compelling $100 argument?

What is stopping an individual from just using the Vita they already own?
What is the 2-3 game argument here for current Vita Owners?

A 3DS owner who buys a 2DS is buying a variant.  That's what their really doing.
A Vita Owner buying a Vita TV is also buying a not as Stand Alone Variant.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:08:40 PM by Ceric »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
It's a streaming box that can play on the **** one owns on the Vita on their TV in HD. I, on one hand, want to play my Vita games on my TV at home. When I'm not home? On the Vita itself. Especially when I have PS+ and I can easily use the cloud saves function to go from device and device without stopping.

What the flying **** does a 2DS give a current 3DS owner they already don't have? Enough of the fanboyism here. This is fucking ridiculous. As little (in your opinion) that the Vita TV gives to current Vita owners, it's ludicrous to think that the 2DS gives ANYTHING to 3DS owners.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
Also: they announced that touch screen and back panel commands can be mapped to the L3/R3 buttons and a on-screen cursor similar to Dragon's Crown's cursor.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/09/you-can-activate-touch-controls-on-ps-vita-tv-by-using-the-sticks/
Interesting. I wonder what all this "doesn't play all Vita games" stuff is all about. What does that mean then?

I read that Sony has no plans to release this outside of Japan. What?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »
I'm far from knowledgeable on Sony hardware, but can't the Vita already connect to a television?  I know the PSP could...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »

Interesting. I wonder what all this "doesn't play all Vita games" stuff is all about. What does that mean then?

I read that Sony has no plans to release this outside of Japan. What?

It doesn't play because there are extremely heavy touch games that can't be done with the dualshock. But they aren't worth playing anyway. :P

And they do have plans to release it outside Japan, but Japan has a timed exclusivity for a few months after launch.

I'm far from knowledgeable on Sony hardware, but can't the Vita already connect to a television?  I know the PSP could...

It can't. Sadly.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »
This seems worthless.
It is too expensive as a streaming box and it is terrible as a gaming box.

If i want to stream Chromecast is smaller and is 35 bucks.

If I want to play games this won't even let me play all the games available for the Vita. It doesn't have the library of the 360, ps3 or Wii to make it worth picking up.It apparently only allows 2 controllers to connect throwing out a cheap party game machine. It also still has all the negatives of the Vita, mainly that PS3 does everything it does and more.

It's cheap but not cheap enough to be choice for streaming and people who want to play games would rather pay a little more to get a good gaming machine. This seems like its hitting a spot nearly no one wants.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 10:31:18 PM »
This seems worthless.
It is too expensive as a streaming box and it is terrible as a gaming box.

If i want to stream Chromecast is smaller and is 35 bucks.

If I want to play games this won't even let me play all the games available for the Vita. It doesn't have the library of the 360, ps3 or Wii to make it worth picking up.It apparently only allows 2 controllers to connect throwing out a cheap party game machine. It also still has all the negatives of the Vita, mainly that PS3 does everything it does and more.

It's cheap but not cheap enough to be choice for streaming and people who want to play games would rather pay a little more to get a good gaming machine. This seems like its hitting a spot nearly no one wants.

Yet if you go to some Vita forums or r/vita everyone wants this. Go figure.