Author Topic: Club Nintendo Elite Rewards Revealed  (Read 7124 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Club Nintendo Elite Rewards Revealed
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:37:40 PM »

Pins and calendars for all who reached Gold and Platinum status.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27047

Club Nintendo Platinum members for the 2010-2011 year, which ended yesterday, will be able to receive a special set of 25 commemorative Mario pins. The set features images of classic Mario characters. The box the pins come in can be arranged to feature an image of Mario, a Goomba, or a Mushroom.

Gold members, on the other hand, will receive a Nintendo themed 2012 desk calendar featuring illustration from various Nintendo games. Platinum members can also choose this gift if they want to.

Players that log into the Club Nintendo site will automatically be sent to the rewards page. The offer is good till July 31, 2011.

The Club Nintendo year ran from July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2011. In order to reach Gold status, users have to earn 300 coins or more during the year. Platinum status requires 600n coins. Coins are earned by registering games and completing surveys about games.

Last year's rewards were a Mario character figurine for Platinum members, and a 2011 calendar for Gold members. The inaugural year of Club Nintendo, running from 2008 to 2009 gave Platinum members the choice between a Mario hat and Doc Louis' Punch-Out for WiiWare. Gold members received a calendar.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Club Nintendo Elite Rewards Revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
Lame.  There really is no other word to describe this reward, especially after last year's very nice figurine.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
I like it.  Would have preferred something Zelda, but it's a nice thing.

And it's pretty much identical to the most recent Platinum prize for Japan's Club Nintendo.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »
I was thinking about getting the pins since I got Platinum status. However, I would use the calendar much more often. I don't know what I can do with the pins.

Also of note, "images shown are of the 2011 calendar. The 2012 calendar will have all new    designs and artwork."

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 02:19:51 PM »
I was thinking about getting the pins since I got Platinum status. However, I would use the calendar much more often. I don't know what I can do with the pins.

Also of note, "images shown are of the 2011 calendar. The 2012 calendar will have all new designs and artwork."
Its not like they had a year to prepare or anything.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
Uhm........

Hey! Is there anyway you can redeem your Elite status for another year where the prize isn't a collection of pins?

Offline SilverQuilava

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »
You.. You have to be kidding me. This is not real. They had a Friggin Mario Hat, a MARIO HAT last year, and THIS is what they have to offer!?! I can't accept this. This was the first year I was in Club Nintendo, and I wanted DESperately to get a mario hat. I have always wanted one. And the worst part is, I saved up a bunch of games over the few years I had a DS and Wii, just enough to get me into the Platinum status. You don't even find out what the damn rewards are until the very end! Now I'll never get a platinum status again.
...maybe if I wait a few years..

sorry if that was unorthodox.

Offline Xero!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 06:56:26 PM »
You.. You have to be kidding me. This is not real. They had a Friggin Mario Hat, a MARIO HAT last year, and THIS is what they have to offer!?! I can't accept this. This was the first year I was in Club Nintendo, and I wanted DESperately to get a mario hat. I have always wanted one. And the worst part is, I saved up a bunch of games over the few years I had a DS and Wii, just enough to get me into the Platinum status. You don't even find out what the damn rewards are until the very end! Now I'll never get a platinum status again.
...maybe if I wait a few years..

sorry if that was unorthodox.

Um... I wanted the hat too but that was since Club Nintendo's first year (TWO years ago). In case you didn't notice, Platinum and Gold rewards are not carried forward into the next year. So you were screwed since last year. Last year's platinum reward was a figurine (which I have) and now this year it's the pins.

Offline Tanshin

• View Profile
    • Nintendo Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
I was 30 coins short of platinum this year, but I suppose it isn't that big of a deal. The pins would be nice, but they would have just collected dust.
Myst Online KI Number: 03211339

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 08:43:33 PM »
I don't understand the outrage.  The Mario hat and statue are being held aloft as though they were amazing rewards.  As an adult (31), I can say I didn't order the hat because I couldn't imagine ever wearing it, let alone displaying it in my house.  The think the statue is nice, but it also looks like an overgrown happy meal toy. And I ordered that one.

I can picture myself wearing one of these pins on a jacket or something.  They're nice enough and sort of retro-cool in a way the other rewards haven't been.  Maybe they're cheap, but not out of step with past rewards like so many of you are claiming.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 09:21:40 PM »
The pins put you 8 over the required number of pieces of flair.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Well I've only got gold status so I get the calendar.  If someone who get's the pins doesn't like them I'll be willing to trade.  I can pin them to a hand knit 3ds cover to complete the hipster look... once I learn to knit.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:03:22 PM by apdude »

Offline Munch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »
D:< I'm sickened at all the whiners complaining about how 'crappy' the rewards for Club Nintendo are- FYI, Nintendo isn't obligated in any way, shape, or form to even have a rewards program. They don't need to give us ANYTHING if they don't want to- they're doing this simply out of their good graces. Rewards are exactly what they say they are- REWARDS. We're not the ones footing the bill on this, so I don't think anyone has the right to complain about it. It goes back to that old saying, 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth'- just be happy with what you DID get. I hate this whole attitude of 'entitlement' that has afflicted the world. Personally, I'm actually quite happy with this year's reward. :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:12:42 PM by Munch »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 11:23:42 PM »
D:< I'm sickened at all the whiners complaining about how 'crappy' the rewards for Club Nintendo are- FYI, Nintendo isn't obligated in any way, shape, or form to even have a rewards program. They don't need to give us ANYTHING if they don't want to- they're doing this simply out of their good graces. Rewards are exactly what they say they are- REWARDS. We're not the ones footing the bill on this, so I don't think anyone has the right to complain about it. It goes back to that old saying, 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth'- just be happy with what you DID get. I hate this whole attitude of 'entitlement' that has afflicted the world. Personally, I'm actually quite happy with this year's reward. :D

Actually, the entire reason the program exists is to entice customers to purchase these games new, preferably on Day 1.  That's why there are so many incentives regarding announcing that you will purchase the game and that you purchase it early.  Without the rewards, why not purchase these games used (unless you really want to support the specific developer)?  They certainly hit the Used racks quickly enough, so it's not like you have to wait that long for most games.  So yeah, I'm mildly annoyed at how crappy the US Club Nintendo Rewards are, especially when you have rewards like SNES-style Classic Controllers or soundtrack CDs in the other regions.  Nintendo of America is basically saying that its customers' loyalty is worth exactly what its Club Nintendo rewards cost to make: little to nothing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:25:22 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 01:04:27 AM »

Here's the thing. What you are saying would be spot on if it wasn't for the fact that the Japanese and European Club Nintendo are getting MUCH better rewards. They get CDs, golden controllers, special controllers, rare items and more. We get knick knacks that could be easily be given away at industry events.

Not only that, in order to get either a Gold or Platinum status you HAVE to buy the games, then spend some time registering them in order to get coins. And after all of that, the only things we get are pins and a calendar?

Broodwars said it best. The program is about rewarding fans and customers for their loyalty, and what they are giving us is very weak.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 07:43:45 AM »
I agree with pap64 and broodwar.

By not giving awards on Parity with the other region it undermines the whole program.  You might have gotten away with this before the Internet when only the hardest of hardcore knew everything about the other regions but, now days, you don't even really have to be super into gaming to know what the other regions get.

Not to mention the whole Platinum and Gold rewards announcements.

It undermines a lot of the point of the program.  Entice you with something you want to get you off the fence on purchasing something.  This has been a time honorred tradition here in the US for a very long time but, when the Internet became like mail or the telephone companies have really went down hill on these programs.   Their is a reason the carrot is on a stick and not just stored in your pocket.  Its not like Platinum does anything else for you like Discounts, Name on game Credits, etc...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »
I decided not to register my stuff this year (partially because I wasn't confident I had enough to make Platinum status), but now I really don't feel bad about it. Hopefully, next year's rewards will be better.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 01:42:33 PM »
I actually prefer the pins to the figurine from last year. At least you can wear them if you want to. As I've said before, I prefer usable awards over junk that will collect dust on my shelf, though this barely qualifies. I'm not going to complain much about the freebie awards.

What I do reserve the right to complain about is the poor selection compared to the other stores. Why don't we ever get soundtracks or clothing? The old Nintendo Power Super Power Supplies catalog selection was so much more awesome. To those saying that it's just a loyalty program, no it's not. Case in point, when you get an award shipped to you, it comes with a note thanking you for not your purchases, but for filling out all those surveys. That data is gold to Nintendo and Club Nintendo is the least they can do to pay for that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:40:03 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 03:08:47 AM »
It undermines a lot of the point of the program.  Entice you with something you want to get you off the fence on purchasing something. 

Well, it sure motivates me, and it motivates you, and it motivates everyone in this forum, but how many people in North America do you really think take advantage of Club Nintendo, much less know, much less care?  Aside from the inserts in games (which no one reads anyways), there is absolutely no advertising for Club Nintendo anywhere.  How would most people be motivated to buy by the Club Nintendo program when most people don't know about it?  How many people in North America do you think regularly use Club Nintendo?  100,000?  Probably not.  50,000?  Maybe.  100,000 is not a huge number for Nintendo, or any large game company for that matter. 

I think Club Nintendo is, in the most literal way I can say, fan service.  For the hardcore Nintendo fans.  The Triforce Johnsons of the world.  Us.  You can probably justify its existence in some vacuous, "grassroots," "mindshare," kind of way, but not in any direct impact on actual cash money sales. 

Oh, I'm platinum, proud, and getting badges.  I need my stinkin' badges.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 04:21:49 AM »
Picked the calendar. Curious to see what will be on it.

Aside from the inserts in games (which no one reads anyways),

Hey! :(
I read them. I find it sad that there is a lack of discipline in RTFM (Reading The Fucking Manual) in video games these days; no matter how strong the argument against it is.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »
Wow. I've been platinum three years in a row. This is easily the coolest prize so far in my opinion. Guess it takes all kinds.

To all the people crying, grow up: if you don't like the prize then sell it on eBay and use the cash to buy yourself a new game. That's what I did with my first two platinum prizes... and having a game was a much better deal in both cases.
NNID: ejamer

Offline deadeyes

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »
Go Nintendo! I'm really not pining over the pin designs(they are quite charming), but I am a bit flustered with how Nintendo gets away with these "exclusives" to make one believe that one's getting something of premium value.

To reach Platinum status, It's a given that one has to spend over 500 dollars on Nintendo products a year(if you do the post-game surveys), and since DS games go for less coins(for almost the same price as a Wii game), then you have to pay even more buck. Thus, this all-around "exclusive" transcends cheap; it's no secret that buying these button badges in bulk is considerably cost-effective. I really don't see why giving an option of prizing an equally cheap classic controller would make that much of a difference. At least that's functional.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:30:05 PM by deadeyes »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »
This reward is better than the last two years, at least to me. Sure, I'd rather have a game or accessory, but at least this is something I actually might use, which is more than I can say about the previous two.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 07:06:27 PM »
Mop, I thought the first year was great (either a Mario hat or an exclusive WiiWare game in Doc Louis' Punch-Out, which may have just been a glorified demo but still exclusive and the only way to own it). Last year I failed to get enough coins for the figurine though and got stuck with the calender.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20