Author Topic: 3DS NYC Launch Event  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
3DS NYC Launch Event
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »

It was really cold and Reggie made an appearance. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/25872

At close to 4 p.m. yesterday, I made my way over to New York City where Nintendo held a 3DS Launch event at the Union Square Best Buy. They set up a fenced-off line on the side of the road where people could wait for the midnight launch.

There were a number 3DS demo stations set up where people could try out many of the launch games. Free food was offered in the form of hot dogs, tacos, and pretzels. A DJ played popular tunes and I was impressed by a mix of a Lady Gaga song with music from Sonic & Knuckles. As it got later and extremely cold, friendly Nintendo staff handed out some t-shirts, hats, and hand warmers.

When there was about an hour left to wait, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime showed up and shook hands and spoke with the excited masses that were waiting in line.

Finally at midnight, the crowd threw their 3D glasses into the air (glasses they received about five minutes beforehand) and ushered in an era of glasses-free 3D gaming. It was a pretty fun event other than the extreme cold. Check out videos of the launch event below.

Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline VelociraptorBill

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS NYC Launch Event
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:16:56 PM »
Is he holding one of the VGCats valentines cards?  Awwww... someone loves him.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:00:50 PM »
Hahaha Reggie is such a boss.

Offline Tanshin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo Addict
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:31:40 PM »
You know, it's a shame that I couldn't make it over to the Best Buy. I was in NYC for a school trip yesterday to go Behind the Emerald Curtain and see Wonderland, however the farthest we could go was to Rockefeller Center. I settled for the Nintendo World demos and was extremely impressed. They had giant AR cards on the floor that actually worked if people didn't stand on them :P

Now I just need money to buy one!
Myst Online KI Number: 03211339

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »
Reggie: How far back are you? What's your number?

guy waiting in line: 37

Reggie: Only 30 copies in the store!

Everyone: (laughs)

Reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie:
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:18:18 PM »
Yeah, I coincidentally walked by this thing last night and considered going in, but it was just too damn cold. Funnily enough, it was on the exact spot that the The Rent's Too Damn High Guy had set up at a number of weeks ago.