Author Topic: The Wii SD Card Menu: A Walkthrough  (Read 21279 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: The Wii SD Card Menu: A Walkthrough
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 02:30:35 AM »
... of course, this also implies that the Wii2 will not have a robust out-of-the-box storage capacity.

I'm putting my hopes on a Solid State Drive for the Wii2.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 03:05:18 AM »
I am flattened by the news that this goes up to 32 GB. I never expected that! I was actually doubting that Nintendo would add SDHC support!

... of course, this also implies that the Wii2 will not have a robust out-of-the-box storage capacity.

Wii's SD reader always could support the SDHC standard, Nintendo just had to enable it in a firmware. The only reason why Nintendo set the 32GB limit on SD cards is because the SDHC standard maxes out at 32GB, a 64GB SD card is now in the SDXC standard territory.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 03:28:22 AM »
Even with over 80 games my 2 GB SD card has more space left than a new Wii, and that's with a bunch of homebrew too.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 08:20:19 AM »
I am flattened by the news that this goes up to 32 GB. I never expected that! I was actually doubting that Nintendo would add SDHC support!

By the time Wii2 comes out 32gb SDHC cards will cost like $5 a piece. I'm sure we won't be too worried about it.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 05:17:12 PM »
I love this new feature, but I have a minor gripe:  I wish you should put "links" to individual games that are stored on your SD card on your main menu.  I generally have one or two VC games that I'm playing at any one time and I'd like to have those available right on the start-up screen.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 05:18:29 PM »
I love this new feature, but I have a minor gripe:  I wish you should put "links" to individual games that are stored on your SD card on your main menu.  I generally have one or two VC games that I'm playing at any one time and I'd like to have those available right on the start-up screen.

Good idea. It sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to put in.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

Wii's SD reader always could support the SDHC standard, Nintendo just had to enable it in a firmware. The only reason why Nintendo set the 32GB limit on SD cards is because the SDHC standard maxes out at 32GB, a 64GB SD card is now in the SDXC standard territory.

Is anyone really going to fill in 32 gigs of Virtual Console and Wiiware . I think thats a fair limit. If you want more just buy another memory card.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »

Is anyone really going to fill in 32 gigs of Virtual Console and Wiiware . I think thats a fair limit. If you want more just buy another memory card.

If you are a heavy Guitar Hero and Rock Band player then you will use a lot more.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »
Another minor gripe:  When you go to the Shop Channel and go to the section that lists games you've already downloaded it won't show titles that are on the SD card (but not on the Wii system's internal memory) as "downloaded"--instead it shows them as downloadable.  It makes it a little annoying when you're trying to figure out what games you've paid for but don't have saved.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »
Another minor gripe:  When you go to the Shop Channel and go to the section that lists games you've already downloaded it won't show titles that are on the SD card (but not on the Wii system's internal memory) as "downloaded"--instead it shows them as downloadable.  It makes it a little annoying when you're trying to figure out what games you've paid for but don't have saved.

I noticed that too. My guess is that stuff will be fixed soon. Overall though it looks like it was well tested before it was released
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bayou

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »
(cough) Well I guess my 1st hypothesis was correct and that it turned out to be basically an SD card channel, though I was wrong about the ability for a firm ware update for the Wiider, which I am glad to be wrong here as I was just drooling over the 32GB SD cards at future shop and then cursing how very few mobile systems actually utilize SD cards (mini SD can suck it as far as I am concerned).
 The save data limit I dont think is a big problem as most WIIware games dont take up a heck of alot of memory, not to mention that programmers might be able to get around some of these obstacles with the help of shadow ram so that the save data on the WII is only an access point for the larger custom data sets (I am thinking for games like civilizations or say an expansion pack for FF:my life as a king to have an actual explorable , modifiable world outside your own kingdom).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:02:52 PM by Bayou »

Offline s1kw0n

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 12:10:33 PM »
I don't understand how SD Menu works for the Wii AT ALL. I tried to MOVE channels to the SD CARD and I delete the game from the Wii main menu channel and it FAILS to LAUNCH from the SD CARD. I really WISH someone could HELP!! I APPRECIATE ANY INFO. THANKS.
-Steve

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 01:54:56 PM »
I don't understand how SD Menu works for the Wii AT ALL. I tried to MOVE channels to the SD CARD and I delete the game from the Wii main menu channel and it FAILS to LAUNCH from the SD CARD. I really WISH someone could HELP!! I APPRECIATE ANY INFO. THANKS.
-Steve

The most common reason I've seen for this is that people moved the games onto SD from one Wii (or Wii U) console and then tried to access/play the games on a different Wii console.  When you download a game, it actually gets locked to that specific hardware so the SD card won't work on other consoles - although you will be able to see the games stored on the card.

It's also possible that your SD card isn't supported. Things should work with any normal SD card, or an SDHC card that is 32 GB or smaller in size.

I've also seen games fail to launch just because there is corruption on the SD card.  Unfortunately the only way to get your games back in this case is to re-download from the Wii Shop Channel, format the SD card, and try again.  (But maybe try using the Copy option and launching from SD that way instead of using Move. That way if it doesn't work, you won't have to re-download the game.)

If none of those comments help, maybe post more specific details about what happens when you try to launch the game. Is there an error message shown?
NNID: ejamer