Author Topic: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread  (Read 187756 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »
We can cut down on the amount people commuting all over everyday and actually extend the amount of hours of productivity for all those that can actually do their jobs from home (which is probably 60% of most office jobs).

so many hour commuting wasted on the trip back and forth. They could've been working for an extra hour or two and still had time for themselves and/or family.

What are you?  A deranged CEO?  I just gained almost two hours of free time from switching to working from home and you suggest I work MORE HOURS?  I get more free time, I get the same amount of work done for my employer, and I use less gasoline and output less emissions by driving less.  It is win-win for me, my employer, and society as a whole so why suggest we work more?

it's a compromise as a suggestion to let the companies allow us all to telecommute, stating that we would have more time to work extra hours if we didn't have to spend so much time commuting to and from work.  of course you could use that time to instead have more self time and or family time and not need to put in extra time while at the same time lowering your carbon footprint.

Definite win win.

There is actually a very easy sell for the employer: they save the expense of maintaining a physical building and passes it off to the employees who end up using their own electricity, water, heat, air conditioning, internet, toilet paper, etc.

Anyway, to not stay off topic, I got some take out for lunch and it was weird to see a fast food restaurant that usually is pretty damn full at a weekday lunch literally have no customers in there but me.  Even discounting people eating in the restaurant there is still usually a line for taking orders which wouldn't change if the same usual customers were getting food to go.  Part of me is joking to myself that I can go on a binge of guilt-free fast food eating and justify it as keeping the economy afloat.  Yes I've gained 30 pounds but only so Popeye's and Carl's Jr can live!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2020, 07:56:58 PM »
Today is a very nice day weather wise where I live.  The kids were home for spring break anyway, most of their parents appear to have been sent home from work and there are a fair amount of retired people in the area.  About half of the houses on my street (a cul-de-sac) have been outside socializing, definitely in groups large than five, spreading contact between at least four households.  All this while the restaurant I went to had the dining area blocked off with caution tape, while the grocery store has no toilet paper and almost no meat, while their own kids aren't going back to school until at least a few more weeks.  Among those having an impromptu block party I see three people that are probably in their 70s and two in their 60s.

I feel very strange observing this from my window.  Is someone on my street going to die?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2020, 11:00:23 PM »
In bed the past week or so.  I know I got a stuffy nose and I was sneezing and I went out to get some food from the local Dollar General.   I don't have a fever so I know it isn't COVID-19,  The past few days I have been congested in my head and throat.  Still I am going to try and stay inside as much as I can.  I do have an appointment on Sunday for some hair removal but if I am still feeling under the weather come Sunday morning I won't go.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2020, 12:36:15 AM »
I think you should postpone that appoint regardless.

Especially since you are already not feeling well. COVID or not, it's probably best you just camp out for at least a week and not risk any unnecessary contact.

I feel very strange observing this from my window.  Is someone on my street going to die?

Only because you willed it so... QUICK THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS!!!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:38:14 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2020, 07:56:47 AM »
My family & I have been very fortunate so far. Despite my sister working for a very public figure in California who WOULD be an easy target for the virus, as far as I know she has not been infected yet. My mom & dad don't leave the house all that often, but they are in At Risk age bracket and so far do not have the virus. I work in an office that is CONTINUALLY coming down with illnesses (and, yes, we are considered an "essential" business so we are still open), but so far no one at work seems to have it. We're prepared to work at home if necessary, but so far there hasn't been a Stay in Place order here in FL.

Gotta say, my morning & evening commute's never been better, not to mention parking. I'm getting to and from work in about 25 minutes, easily shaving off a half hour of stop & go traffic in the evening.

Unfortunately, we've still had our share of bad news as a result of the virus. My dad lost his job in the tech industry a month or so ago right at the start of all this. I also just received news from my mom that a close friend of the family back in Utah (so close that my sister & I grew up calling her "Aunt") has been confirmed to have the virus. She was in poor health before getting the virus, so we're really concerned about her now.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
Unfortunately, we've still had our share of bad news as a result of the virus. My dad lost his job in the tech industry a month or so ago right at the start of all this. I also just received news from my mom that a close friend of the family back in Utah (so close that my sister & I grew up calling her "Aunt") has been confirmed to have the virus. She was in poor health before getting the virus, so we're really concerned about her now.

Sorry to hear about both points, and wishing the best for your family friend.  :(

I'm extremely lucky - the virus has little direct effect on me or my family. However, a lot of people I know are being laid off while everyone is required to stay at home. The economic damage happening now is going to have a big effect on everyone for years to come.

Hope everyone is hanging tough and making smart choices - whether COVID-19 is causing life-shattering changes (which it will for some) or just making life inconvenient.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »
Well at a time like this I guess it's a good thing I'm a slacker.  I've been wanting to find a different jobs for a while now but have kept putting it off because I've grown complacent since it's easy work for me and I make enough to pay my bills with enough left over to buy any games I want.  It's just I've grown tired of retail sales and having to deal with the general public everyday so I'd like to find some kind of office job.

Well since it's retail that works with the general public we're now closed the next two weeks at the very least they tell us, but I'll still be payed during the time off.  The one negative is I make commission on sales that usually add an extra 3-4 dollars an hour to my base pay so I'll be making a few hundred less then I'd normally make, but still, my hourly pay will still be enough to pay my morgage, electric and buy food.

I guess if I was more motivated I might have gotten a different job by now, but it might have closed without pay, or still be open and some of my potential coworkers might have come to work with it.  So yea for lazyness. :-\
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »
I think you should postpone that appoint regardless.

Especially since you are already not feeling well. COVID or not, it's probably best you just camp out for at least a week and not risk any unnecessary contact.

Well I had to reschedule anyway since the medical doctor for the place said I can't have been sick within the past 10 days.  Which I understand.  I guess I get to save a little bit more money over the next two months since I am not going to NBA games in April and I can put the money I was going to use today to my savings.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2020, 11:01:36 AM »
Due to Quarantining.... I may have spent a little too much time on IG yesterday.

around 9pm, I decided to start a game of See a Shot, Take a Shot.
and everytime I was challenged back, I would use a new shot glass.

I'm actually not sure how I'm awake and mostly sober right now.
I'm pretty sure I did 7 rounds on the IG story, and then another 4+ in the DMs

another friend actually responded with a shot video 30 minutes ago.... FML
I didn't expect so many people to respond. LOL
remind me not to start that game again. :D

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2020, 08:30:39 PM »
The Governor of Louisiana issued a Stay at Home order, effective tomorrow - Monday, March 23rd - at 5pm. Link.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2020, 08:34:55 PM »
Sorry for the politics, but in case anyone missed it, a US Senator announced he tested positive today for COVID-19.  Other Senators are getting tested and/or putting themselves under self-quarantine.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2020, 11:50:53 PM »
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:14:13 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2020, 07:44:21 PM »
On the plus side, this is an election season and places that have been long overdue for converting to mail-in ballots may finally do so to promote social distancing. You shouldn't have to take a day off of work (because God-forbid we make it a holiday to do so) and spend half the day in a line to choose your favorite redacted joke about all politicians to run the country.
My Game Collection

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2020, 07:34:02 PM »
So far this year I had booked two vacation days to give myself a pair of long weekends.  I have more time to still book but this was all I had booked already.

One was to go to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.  It's been cancelled and the event isn't even until August.  It used to be October but the convention center bumped them from their usual date despite them having the same date for 15 years.  Gee, maybe if THAT hadn't happened they wouldn't have cancelled so quickly with an extra two month window.  The Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo is tentatively still scheduled to occur in June.  Being from the area I don't take vacation time to attend it but it is a much smaller event.

The other vacation was something I do every year where I go to Seattle with my dad and brother to watch some Mariners games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  That is up-in-the-air as well since the MLB season has been postponed.

Normally I am notorious for procrastinating on trips on these and this was the first year where I was getting things ready with lots of time to spare.  Go figure.  Obviously none of this is of any importance compared to the threat of getting sick or losing your job but it shows how this has affected little things.  I hung out with a friend I hadn't seen in months the weekend before things spiraled out of control and I'm now really happy I did that.  We had no idea this was coming, it was just an impromptu thing where I realized I hadn't seen him a while.

And while on the topic of vacation, my last trip was in December.  I was on a CRUISE that left from ITALY!!  Move that trip over a month and I'd be in quarantine!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2020, 08:25:39 PM »
Dang, I though Vancouver BC and Vancouver WA were right next to each other. They're 6 hours apart
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2020, 04:47:18 AM »
Well this happened here is Arizona.  A man died for trying to use chloroquine phosphate is an additive to clean fish tanks and kill parasites in the tanks. The one that is used for Malaria is hydroxy chloroquine and has shown decent in a few small studies but these studies need to be expanded before making it a viable option for COVID-19.  By the way hydroxy chloroquine hasn't been approved by the FDA as a treatment.  There is no cure currently.   The difference between the two is how they are formulated.  His wife is in critical condition currently after injesting it as a possible treatment of COVID-19. She threw up most of the chemical.   Both were/are in their 60s. 

AZ couple suffer from meds as a possible cure for COVID-19
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:59:31 AM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2020, 08:43:20 AM »
Well this happened here is Arizona.  A man died for trying to use chloroquine phosphate is an additive to clean fish tanks and kill parasites in the tanks. The one that is used for Malaria is hydroxy chloroquine and has shown decent in a few small studies but these studies need to be expanded before making it a viable option for COVID-19.  By the way hydroxy chloroquine hasn't been approved by the FDA as a treatment.  There is no cure currently.   The difference between the two is how they are formulated.  His wife is in critical condition currently after injesting it as a possible treatment of COVID-19. She threw up most of the chemical.   Both were/are in their 60s. 

I mentioned this in the funhouse, but the part you are leaving out is WHY they thought to use that **** as a "CURE" for COVID-19 especially when they didn't even have the virus or any symptoms.
Old couple scared, being misinformed by public figures they "trust" to give them "facts" and to see those "facts" parroted on their favorite Faux "news" channel, led them to believe they had access to something that could help. It was irresponsible and shows the complete incompetence, greed and lack of compassion of the people in charge, as if that hasn't been apparent for at least the last 3 years, and depending on who your talking about specifically (if you've been paying attention) for much, much, much longer than that.

p.s. there were other people that thought the try the same things. This didn't only happen in AZ, but in other countries as well. for the exact same reason.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:49:31 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2020, 08:45:55 AM »
In other news..... Congress got to work, and against all odds, the House got the Senate to actually agree to SOMETHING useful for once. Even got them to cave on some important things allowing the House to exclude some things I'm sure the "Senate" really wanted to give to the "man" in charge.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/03/24/trump-coronavirus-congress-economic-stimulus/

summary:

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2020, 08:51:54 AM »

I mentioned this in the funhouse, but the part you are leaving out is WHY they thought to use that **** as a "CURE" for COVID-19 especially when they didn't even have the virus or any symptoms.
Old couple scared, being misinformed by public figures they "trust" to give them "facts" and to see those "facts" parroted on their favorite Faux "news" channel, led them to believe they had access to something that could help. It was irresponsible and shows the complete incompetence, greed and lack of compassion of the people in charge, as if that hasn't been apparent for at least the last 3 years, and depending on who your talking about specifically (if you've been paying attention) for much, much, much longer than that.
Oh I am well aware of who mentioned that drug in tweets and in press conferences.  It is even in the link to the article I linked and in the headline.  I am sure folks on this fine forum will be able to piece that together.  Don't listen to Trump for medical advice!
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2020, 09:51:13 AM »
It might be because my perception of things is being colored by Spanish flu documentaries from 2018-19 that are still fresh in my mind, but I think the Wuhan virus is way worse than most people realize. If the"flatten the curve" plan is successful, these measures will have to be in place until the beginning of 2021.

From what I've gleaned, the "plan" if the curve is flattened is to ease up on some restrictions and try to get back to some semblance of normal life.  It'll be an ebb and flow of loosening and tightening restrictions as cases escalate and what's happening with healthcare capacity until a vaccine is available.

Either way, I agree we're in for a sustained discomfort at minimum.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2020, 06:09:34 PM »
EVERYTHING WILL BE OPEN BY EASTER SUNDAY!!!! just a hunch though.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2020, 07:26:07 PM »
EVERYTHING WILL BE OPEN BY EASTER SUNDAY!!!! just a hunch though.
That doesn't seem very practical. 2 weeks away and the typical person would have to be quarantine for 14 days.  Unless the whole USA gets the virus at once and stays home for those 14 days and stays put... wait what I am I saying that isn't going to happen because that is very impractical and the US of A would never follow these requirements. :P
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2020, 08:09:23 PM »
Maybe your part won't follow it, but the Seattle Area has every intention of following through on these quarantine efforts. I don't expect to be back in my primary office until May at the earliest. My wife works in healthcare so she's bearing a lot of the brunt of this outbreak. Thankfully no one at her facility came down with COVID, but one person did waltz in (I think this was a week or so back) and announce they had been in contact with someone who caught it and died, but wasn't sure if they should stay home...she was sent back home immediately.

I expect many places to have various distancing/quarantine efforts through much of April. A lot of experts state we could then relax a bit, but that after a month of loosening up we should probably go back into quarantine mode because there will be a second wave as people go out again. This will be a longer effort over many months.

Also, don't expect things to go back to normal right away. The market has turned south and that will last a good while. The average bear market is 9 months long, so the earliest we see a recovery there in the holiday/Christmas season I would expect. This isn't even considering other events that could affect matters (election season, not enough people practicing distancing/quarantine leading to a worse situation, etc).
My Game Collection