Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 453110 times)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1425 on: November 25, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »
Based on a random tip, I pre-ordered an adapter from Walmart.com on Thursday after everywhere else was out, and it has now arrived. Super glad I did, as it looks like it might be stupidly expensive to ever get one if Nintendo doesn't do a second production run, which who knows, they might not. Anyway, it has really opened up the game for me, as I no longer feel like I'm playing with my feet. I'm nowhere near as good as I was in the height of the Melee days, but at least I feel like I can improve at this point and the game definitely plays better than Brawl.

I've thought more about the content, and I kind of see the limitations of what they could do a bit more. With such a huge roster, it probably becomes onerous or infeasible to have stuff like adventure mode and individual target and platform tests. The whole game is more about jumping between a lot of different activity types quickly (which makes Smash Tour all the more shitty and baffling). I still wish they'd used the Smash Tour energy somewhere else, and Target Blast is super-lame, but now that I'm in the groove of the core gameplay I don't mind so much. I'd still like some kind of adventure mode or even a SSE light; with this roster I'd prefer something that isn't intended to be run through with every character on top of Classic and All Star.

It still sucks that there are so many eight-player battles in Classic, though. Other than that, probably a 9/10 for me, and I'm sure I'll get my money's worth even if my interest trails off in a few weeks. Last yak is that if the 3DS version affected anything, it looks like it certainly thinned out the original stages for each version. I feel like I'd be extremely pleased if the WiiU version had the 3DS stages as well. I wonder how easy they DLC would be . . .

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: November 25, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »
So here's a funny story. Today I've received a package in the mail, confused at what it might be. Before opening it, I Google the address and find out that it belongs to one of Newegg's facilities, so I open it up and find Super Smash Bros. for Wii U inside. After seeing it was from Newegg I then remembered that I pre-ordered this game a long time ago, for $5 off. I figured I could just cancel if I found a better deal, but I guess I can't cancel if I forget! Oh well, since Newegg is tax-free and free shipping, it's still a decent deal compared to anything I would have gotten at a retailer.

Short story shorter, Smash is in hand, but I can't try it out until later tonight.

So, what you are really saying is that you have yet to receive my blackmail package. Darn postal system!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: November 25, 2014, 11:57:43 PM »

I love charizards expression in this shot. It's so... unexpected

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: November 28, 2014, 02:32:09 AM »
jfc nintendo all you had to do to make stage editor better than brawl's was include spawnpoint markers

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: November 28, 2014, 02:39:49 AM »
It's pretty crazy how they actually made it worse than Brawl's. smh

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: November 28, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
Why allow players to make their own stages when Nintendo can sell them a **** ton of stage DLC?  Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason for the stage builder not being expanded on.  Make a stage builder that's too good, and they might fear people will just use it to make there own stages that are closer to what the DLC stages are going to be.

Yeah it's dickish, but as Amiboo's show, Nintendo wants to maximize as much profit off this new Smash Bros as possible.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: November 28, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »
Then... don't have a stage builder at all. Why make a shitty mode when you can just not do anything entirely?

And seriously, Nintendo knows its audience. Plenty of people would buy all DLC stages anyway. A competent stage builder isn't going to stop the nostaligia train. Just give people something that isn't in the stage builder. "ZOMG, the Deku Tree is in the background of that DLC stage. Fucking take all my money." Or sell people extra stage builder pieces. People would complain that it wasn't included in the first place... then buy it anyway.

I'm not saying Nintendo should do that. Rather, that makes more sense financially and logically than wasting resources making a limited and terrible stage builder for the purpose of making DLC seem more valuable. DLC in Super Smash Bros. would be valuable because it's Super Smash Bros. It would sell itself.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:04:18 PM by Adrock »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: November 28, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
I would gather that purchasing a set of DLC stages could then unlock those set pieces in the stage builder. Then you would not risk stifling possible sales.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1433 on: November 28, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »
I think they just threw it in there because people wanted it; half-assed feature is better than no feature.  Admittedly, I haven't tried it myself yet, but I don't see why enough complaining wouldn't prompt Nintendo to add the spawn point thing in a future update and fix the biggest issue, should that be it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: November 29, 2014, 07:45:18 PM »

Probably the only time outside of testing anyone has bothered to connect 7 Wii Remotes at once for Smash. ;)

I'm confused though, I thought the device limit for Bluetooth was 7... how'd they get around it for 8?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1435 on: November 29, 2014, 08:18:32 PM »
Magic?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: November 30, 2014, 02:49:25 PM »
I'm confused though, I thought the device limit for Bluetooth was 7... how'd they get around it for 8?
I thought the GamePad used something a little different because of the streaming.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: November 30, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
I presume it does, but seven Wii Remotes and a Wii U makes 8 bluetooth devices.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 01, 2014, 02:18:10 AM »
I FINALLY FOUND A THREAD HERE FOR THIS! <3

good, because I've been recording videos of me and my Amiibo going Mano a Mano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXSihIm2T60

(not really sure how to do video embeds around here.)

You can go to my channel for the other two, or i can post them in the thread later, but this was me sparring with my amiibo the night after I got the game and leveled it to 50. if I had hair, I'd have been pulling it out because my goodness, this thing had me beat...! ;_;
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:21:58 AM by ClexYoshi »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1439 on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:32 PM »
I presume it does, but seven Wii Remotes and a Wii U makes 8 bluetooth devices.

Does the Wii U have to count as a bluetooth device?  I don't know the rules, but if 7 is the limit, I would imagine that meaning that one thing can have 7 things connected to it, per your example.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: December 02, 2014, 11:02:31 AM »
You know I am perfectly content with the stage builder. What's missing from Brawl? All those different sized blocks and conveyor belts? Being able to out right draw what I want make this leaps and bounds better for me.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 03, 2014, 10:43:23 AM »
You know I am perfectly content with the stage builder. What's missing from Brawl? All those different sized blocks and conveyor belts? Being able to out right draw what I want make this leaps and bounds better for me.

Ladders, Those spinning gears, surfaces with Ice Physics, statues that have a bit more of a setpiece-y feeling to them, conveyor belts, and a few other things of note.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 04, 2014, 10:44:55 AM »

Probably the only time outside of testing anyone has bothered to connect 7 Wii Remotes at once for Smash. ;)

They didn't.  Bluetooth is used for the Wiimotes but its not used for the Gamepad.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 07, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
I realize they're called "Challenges" for a reason, but holy ****, some of them are so difficult. I spent longer than I thought I would completing the one where you have to clear All-Star Mode with Busty Samus solo without using recovery items. Busty Samus is probably my main, and even on Easy, that was tough.

Anyway, I haven't been playing other modes besides regular Smash much. I just got 50 trophies so that should tell you how much progress I'm making on that front. I kind of don't care though I'll probably run through the modes eventually, just not nearly as quickly as I did with the 3DS version (about 15 more characters to go in All-Star Mode). Still, I'm mostly interested in unlocking the CDs which I heard is easiest to do by running through Master/Crazy Orders. I've yet to try either mode.

I feel like the 3DS version has better new stages. There are far too many traveling stages and stage hazards in the Wii U version. The traveling stages aren't as intrusive, but there are definitely times where you're still fighting the stage. I like Jungle Hijinxs, but it'd be better if the platforms didn't disappear/crumble. I don't want to fight the stage. Even on some of the better new stages, some silly nonsense like that happens and makes it worse.

I touched on this in a previous thread, but I'll expand my thoughts here. The intrusive stages wouldn't be as much of a problem if the stage builder was better. Start with the Omega Form of each stage and then edit from there. I realize that's easier said than done. A more robust stage builder would require adaptable assets and a lot of them (though many of them already exist because they'd be based on things in the game). At the same time, I, personally, find that to be a better use of time and resources than say, spending an entire year on Orbital Gate which is a cool looking stage, but I only choose it for shits and giggles.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 08, 2014, 01:25:31 AM »
I realize they're called "Challenges" for a reason, but holy ****, some of them are so difficult. I spent longer than I thought I would completing the one where you have to clear All-Star Mode with Busty Samus solo without using recovery items. Busty Samus is probably my main, and even on Easy, that was tough.

For the most part I really like that the Wii U version has more challenges based off of skill over the 3DS where many were unlocked just by playing every mode as everyone.  On the other though, some of these challenges are just total bullshit since the computer is so fucking cheap on the harder difficulty settings.

I just spent the last hour doing the Aura Master event on Hard Mode and that almost made me through my controller through the screen.  Having to fight a cheap ass computer that knows exactly when to block, can KO me in only one hit and is almost impossible to see is not fun Sakurai.  Especially when fucking Wii Fit Trainer's AI knows exactly when to knock one of those volley balls at Lucario, right after I shot the Auro Sphere when there's that slight second gap that doesn't allow you to activate your shield on time, which result in an instant KO.

Seriously, did Sakurai even bother to playtest some of this ****?  Wait, he probably did and then laughed his ass off because he knew the rage it would cause.  >:(

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 08, 2014, 05:05:20 AM »
I just spent the last hour doing the Aura Master event on Hard Mode and that almost made me through my controller through the screen.  Having to fight a cheap ass computer that knows exactly when to block, can KO me in only one hit and is almost impossible to see is not fun Sakurai.  Especially when fucking Wii Fit Trainer's AI knows exactly when to knock one of those volley balls at Lucario, right after I shot the Auro Sphere when there's that slight second gap that doesn't allow you to activate your shield on time, which result in an instant KO.

Seriously, did Sakurai even bother to playtest some of this ****?  Wait, he probably did and then laughed his ass off because he knew the rage it would cause.  :@

I'd personally suggest abusing the large hitbox on Force Palm when you're at 200%. it comes out quick and controls a big space in front of him. You're still going to get cheaped out by random headers, but it works a lot better than trying to abuse Aura spheres. I suppose If you have it that Long-distance Fore Palms work even better in that regard, and you might as well make a custom set for Lucario that just focuses on blind attack from how banged up he starts the fight.

Also, I did some For Glory fightin' today! http://youtu.be/bhfUw3gUwP8
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:08:07 AM by ClexYoshi »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 08, 2014, 05:08:53 AM »
I had a chance to play some multiplayer with a friend tonight for the first time (3DS version). We had a great time, slight lag, but perfectly playable. I somehow beat him 3 out of 4 matches, which I should not have been able to do because he's way better than me at these games. I think he was just too used to playing CPU opponents.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 08, 2014, 10:26:51 AM »
Wii U GamePad is connected through WiFi direct (or a variation of it). Bluetooth is way too slow with too much latency to broadcast the video from the console to the GamePad.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 08, 2014, 12:30:46 PM »
I'd personally suggest abusing the large hitbox on Force Palm when you're at 200%. it comes out quick and controls a big space in front of him. You're still going to get cheaped out by random headers, but it works a lot better than trying to abuse Aura spheres. I suppose If you have it that Long-distance Fore Palms work even better in that regard, and you might as well make a custom set for Lucario that just focuses on blind attack from how banged up he starts the fight.

I eventually got it by figuring out that Sheik always starts the round by throwing a grenade that leaves her open.  If you dash attack her right at the very start and then do a fast Smash Attack it instantly KO's her and if you're lucky, Wii Fit Trainer will drop down at the exact moment allowing her to be KO'd as well.  This would then create a situation where I now had 2 stock while the computer was down to one each right at the start.  Getting a KO on both a second time was still tough, but at least with 2 stock vs the computer with 1 each made things a lot more double.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 08, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »
How do you do that one Kirby event where you have to eat all the food until you reach 0%? On Hard I mean. The stage doesn't help, tough to see things when it zooms out.