Author Topic: Important Game Boy Player Info!  (Read 10421 times)

Offline Louie the Cat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Important Game Boy Player Info!
« on: February 20, 2003, 09:03:54 AM »
Louie the Cat's at it again.  This time uncovering some big news about the Game Boy Player.  Don't you wanna know...

We’ve just learned that The Game Boy Player will not in fact have a boot disc.  What does this mean?  The Game Boy Player could be just as region free as the Game Boy Advance.

Whether the Game Boy Player’s menu will display your region is unknown, but I’m predicting that the hardware will recognize which region the GameCube is booting in, and display the appropriate menus.  We don’t know for sure yet, but this could be really good news for anyone who is interested in importing.

We’ll have more when I know it.  Mee-yowt.

Offline Tsunekazu

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 09:25:01 AM »
I sure hope the prediction is right.  I won't settle for anything but a matching Spice GB Player, I am just praying the menus will still be in English.

Offline Scoobert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 09:31:23 AM »
Does this also mean that you can use the Game Boy Player as a GCN/GBA linkup without having a GBA? Does that make sense? lol

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 09:35:43 AM »
This should end speculation that the games are being emulated in an way. They are playing on real hardware folks!
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 10:02:32 AM »
If this is true, does it mean the imported GBP will be able to play US games?
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Minsc

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 10:44:52 AM »

Does this also mean that you can use the Game Boy Player as a GCN/GBA linkup without having a GBA? Does that make sense? lol

It would be possible if there is the ability to switch between GBP and GCN mode since you can't have both a GBA and GCN game on the screen at the same time.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 10:59:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Koopa Troopa
If this is true, does it mean the imported GBP will be able to play US games?

The Game Boy line has never had region lock-outs.  There's no reason to think that the Game Boy Player would have them either, especially now that we know there won't be a boot disc.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2003, 11:01:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Scoobert

Nintendo's actually mentioned that in the past.  Unfortunately, to do it you would need 2 TVs and 2 GameCubes.  A GBA is cheaper than a second GameCube.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2003, 11:04:06 AM »
If this is true I will be importing for sure.  I've wanted this since the day I got a GBA.  The only reason I wasn't going to import was because of regional lockout.  If there is none then there's no point in waiting for the domestic release (aside from costs).

What's the release date for the GB Player in Japan?  I think it's May for the NA release.  If the Japanese date is significantly before the North American one I could always wait until someone from PGC has the imported player and can comfirm or deny whether or not it works alright.

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 11:06:20 AM »
Since we only get black in the U.S., I'd consider importing the Purple Player.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2003, 11:29:51 AM »

The Game Boy line has never had region lock-outs. There's no reason to think that the Game Boy Player would have them either, especially now that we know there won't be a boot disc.

Thanks (I'm a GameBoy newbie, if you hadn't guessed)

I've never imported anything before, I may make an exception if I can get it a few months early (assuming everything is in English)
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Tsunekazu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2003, 11:37:07 AM »
Release date is March 27 in Japan.  And a quick reminder for those people who have never imported before, it costs more.  A lot more if you get it right away, and a little more if you wait.  GBA SP was $150 at launch (expected $175), and my Gamecube cost me $380 (after deducting price of games and mem card that came with the bundle).  If there is a huge demand for imports, we'll pay for it.

NCSX expects to be taking pre-orders next week.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2003, 12:08:53 PM »
Don't worry about the menus possibly being in Japanese, folks.  Seriously, there are picture icons for the main menu options, and they are so simple even a Canadian could figure them out.  (Yes, I'm talking about you, Ian.    )
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline JoshuaSlone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2003, 12:41:57 PM »
Interesting... I thought the big thing about the disc being necessary was this meant the GameCube couldn't boot from an external device without the disc's aid, thus helping to prevent one method of piracy.
---------------
Town: Kafnburg
Name: Joshua

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2003, 01:14:04 PM »
Scoober / Fammy - We confirmed both of those things months ago.  The GB Player is a Game Boy Advance.  The only difference is it uses the GameCube and your TV to display everything.

You might want to take a look at our GB Player Profile and our Zelda Gamers Summit coverage.

Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2003, 01:43:47 PM »
"they are so simple even a Canadian could figure them out."

Offline Cerberus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »
Yes! This means I won't have to spend an extra twenty dollars on the Freeloader!
You can pick you friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2003, 05:39:12 PM »
Billy: I am well aware of that fact. There are still people in the forums who think some sort of emulation-magic is going on.

Or I am crazy. You choose.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2003, 03:34:20 AM »
This is good news. Though it will not cause me to import. I have a black console. And currently I'm in no condition financially right now to import, too many good games coming out here.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2003, 10:42:13 PM »
See that's tough.  Trust somebody in the forums, or trust who runs this site.  Hrm.  Hey Rick, should we start a new poll?  Don't doubt the kitty or he'll shut the hell up.
Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2003, 01:12:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Tsunekazu
Release date is March 27 in Japan.

Actually, March 21.

Offline Tsunekazu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2003, 05:51:23 AM »
I was taking that date from NCSX.

In somewhat related news, Nintendo has not acknowledged any supplies of the Japanese Gameboy Player to a number of Japanese distributors at this time. The GB Player debuts on March 27 and we're assuming there will be another major shortage next month to ruin the launch of this new product. NCS expects to open up preorders next week but please be advised that only our smaller Asian suppliers have assured us of availability thus far. This, of course, usually bodes ill. Updates soon.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2003, 06:15:30 AM »
Don't know what's up with them, but I have one reserved, and the receipt says `pick on up March 21' (also the ads say the 21st).

Perhaps the 27th includes shipping time or it's the hong-kong release date or something.