Author Topic: Episode 25: GOTY 2012  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Episode 25: GOTY 2012
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »

Wait, what?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/connectivity/29515

This week's episode of Connectivity is like putting together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

You must start with the bread, the foundation of any good sandwich. For us, the bread is news, and there's plenty of it. Join Mike, Neal and Zach as they talk Assassin's Creed III, possible Wii U release dates, the Crush 3D debacle, and more! I left the crust on because it's good for you and you are a grown up now, I won't cut it off for you anymore.

There's an age old debate about what comes next, but for me, it's gotta be the jelly. This week's sweet, sugary segment is a new one: an evolving game of the year list. That's right. We've compiled a list of the top 5 games to come out in 2012 so far, and every month we will revisit the list and add/remove games as necessary. In our first installment, we already have controversy! Tales of the Abyss and Metal Gear Solid 3D both vie for a spot on the list, but only one PS2 port can claim it. Did we make the right choice? Let us know!

Lastly, the peanut butter. James Dawson and Daan Koopman round out the podcast with a bonus segment about the Playstation Vita. How does the technical wonder hold up to our reliable 3DS? Listen in to find out!

After you eat your sandwich, be sure to send us your listener mail by clicking here. Don't forget about our upcoming PAX panel or NWR's new Game Club, either! See you next week!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 25: GOTY 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »
I'm very upset that two of the three came into the discussion with the correct number one choice, but somehow it got bumped down to second place in the process. Revelations is a fantastic game, but Mutant Mudds is just on a whole other level for me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:20:10 PM »
I like how of all the gaming podcasts I listen to, none of them can figure out how the hell Near works on the Vita.

Also, I'd like to suspect that after April, the GOTY discussions will be for the "Best Game That Isn't Xenoblade". Unless it's been DQd for having a European release already.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »
We haven't talked about that expressly, but I think it's eligible.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 08:35:35 PM »
I think it tends to go by North American release, otherwise I think you could have disqualified it in 2011 too since Japan got it in 2010. I like the idea since it seems that most people forget games that came out early in the year (though when people do GOTY in early December, they are ignoring any games that might come after after).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 09:12:33 PM »
I'm very upset that two of the three came into the discussion with the correct number one choice, but somehow it got bumped down to second place in the process.

For me, both games are almost on equal ground. However, after our discussion I realized how much I actually enjoyed Resident Evil. I went into Mutant Mudds expecting alot and it certainly delivered. Resident Evil though, I wasn't too fond of after the demo, but now I really really love it and would recommend it to anyone.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »
Great to hear the Zen Pinball love in your "Top 5" segment.  It's a solid game that has huge replay value at a very low price. It also does online scoreboards right by letting your limit what's shown to your friends or country, and to look at all-time high scores or just shoot to be the best in any given week.  The fact that this game is supposed to receive DLC to keep things fresh is icing on an already sweet cake.

I also support the #1 rating for Resident Evil: Revelations just because the game offers a much deeper and more varied experience than Mutant Mudds. The main game in Revelations is great - cheeseball dialog and all - and Raid Mode easily tripled the time I spent with the game. There are still a bunch of unlockables to go back for, a harder mode to play through, and a handful of secrets that I know were missed.  Oh yeah, and the Ghost Ship.  Mutant Mudds is another one-and-done type of experience that lives up to it's billing as a great retro experience on the cheap, but doesn't go any further than that.  Maybe it's not fair to compare a full game to a download title... too bad.  RE:R for the win!  Tasty!

However, I was disappointed to hear Colors 3D being written off so quickly.  Comparing it to Swapnote is kind of like comparing Adobe Photoshop to MS Paint - sure, one comes free and will let you do some fun stuff if you are so inclined, but the other is a tool for making (and sharing) actual 3D art.  Don't believe me?  Check http://colorslive.com to see what's already posted via the DS and iOS versions and tell me if you really think Swapnote is a reasonable substitute.  (All of that said, I agree that it's not an app that everyone will get great value from...)
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »
Also, I'd like to suspect that after April, the GOTY discussions will be for the "Best Game That Isn't Xenoblade". Unless it's been DQd for having a European release already.

Not having played either of them, I feel like I'm in a good position to say that the only way Xenoblade's Game of the Year is if Pikmin 3 slips to 2013.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
Neal, I just recently purchased ff13 at gamestop on ps3 used for roughly 9 (nine) dollars!  Is that cheap enough?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
@geo - Seriously? It's that cheap now? I might have to get it soon...

I stand by the list we came up with, even though I personally hold Mutant Mudds above everything else out this year (outside of NFL Blitz).

If you've followed our podcast crew's sensibilities, I can almost guarantee that Xenoblade will not instantly leap to the front of our GOTY list with the crew that's involved in this feature. We're all generally ambivalent towards it, and RPGs aren't really our preferred genre (as a blob-like Connectivity entity).

In terms of this feature, I'd consider it eligible, though. In terms of end-of-the-year site stuff? No, it's not. Read our 10 for 2011 feature from last year. We cover it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Just want to point out how awesome Scott's writeup is. I laughed so hard at the "you're an adult now" comment about bread crust.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline pureval

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 10:46:12 PM »
After hearing you guys raving about it I picked up a point card at work and downloaded Zen Pinball. So far I am loving it. It is the perfect "break" game when Mario or Mutant Mudds makes me want to put my 3DS through a wall.

An episode or two back you guys mentioned doing an extra segment on the DCAU movies, I would love to hear it. I just started getting into them and would like to know which to avoid.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »
An episode or two back you guys mentioned doing an extra segment on the DCAU movies, I would love to hear it. I just started getting into them and would like to know which to avoid.

We were just going to do one specifically on the new one, JL Doom, but maybe we'll expand the scope.

If you're curious about the TV shows, check out my guest spot on Crosstawk Comics: http://www.crosstawk.com/newbusiness/2011/1/28/crosstawk-comics-episode-6.html
http://www.crosstawk.com/newbusiness/2011/2/25/crosstawk-comics-episode-7.html
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 11:47:53 PM »
I wish DC would get back to the real DC Animated Universe (the ones that are part of the same canon, not just a generic term for ANY animated movie featuring DC characters).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20