Author Topic: Monster Hunter A Go-Go!: The -Ultimate- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Thread  (Read 63881 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile

So I'm posting a thread for Monster Hunter 4U because I don't see the old one and it's time to get a full thread going. I'll make an effort to maintain it with online info if there is enough interest for that sort of thing.

Basic game info:
  • Releases February 14th
  • Demo is available by code currently (includes local and online multi)
  • Features NEW 3DS enhancements
  • Supports the Circle Pad Pro
  • Cross-region play (also in demo)
Monster count
Small: 23
Large: 73
Total: 96

New 3DS System Bundle available exclusively at GameStop for $230 w/ digital copy
*Reportedly sold out once already so hurry if you want one!

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter A Go-Go!: The -Ultimate- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »
Reserved mine. Though apparently my Gamestop won't actually have the 3DS in the store at launch & instead it will have it shipped to my house. Not paying extra for 1 or 2 day shipping so I'll be hunting anywhere from late Feb to early March...
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »
I have extra demo codes if anyone didn't get one.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 06:07:15 PM »
Aren't Monster Hunter demos generally the benchmark against which all terrible demos are measured? Or did they actually put together something decent this time?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
Aren't Monster Hunter demos generally the benchmark against which all terrible demos are measured? Or did they actually put together something decent this time?
This demo at least has a tutorial for all weapon types, and a "beginner" option with weaker monsters and guide arrows. MH just isn't a game that demos well, but this one seems about as good as they could make it without including a huge chunk of the game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »
It's not awful, but I can feel some things to be "off" about the game.

I beat the demo's three monsters on expert with no deaths in about an hour, so it's not too hard. Gore Magala was a bit of a let down. It felt like "Toothless" the dragon have a kid with Alatraeon and did not feel as powerful as it looked. May be the settings of the demo.

The demo mode was nice for the new weapons. The localization team did an interview on the Capcom blog explaining that they retooled the demo for Western audiences.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:14:22 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »
I have extra demo codes if anyone didn't get one.

I haven't been able to get one, and would love to try the demo if you've still got extras. But my assumption is there will be a free demo for everyone eventually and that the real game will be much better than the demo anyway - so if it doesn't happen I'm not too stressed about it.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 06:23:52 PM »
I'll spot you a code. I have another if anyone else here wants it too.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 06:54:03 PM »
I beat the demo's three monsters on expert with no deaths in about an hour, so it's not too hard. Gore Magala was a bit of a let down. It felt like "Toothless" the dragon have a kid with Alatraeon and did not feel as powerful as it looked. May be the settings of the demo.
They're tougher in multiplayer, have you tried that?

I already gave him one.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »
I'm trying the multi now. I can beat them that way too but it takes for ever. I've timed out depending on the weapon. Definitely getting their attack patterns down.
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 06:55:41 AM »
They're tougher in multiplayer, have you tried that?

I already gave him one.

I haven't entered the code yet, but did get it!  Will definitely download and try the game today.
Thanks very much to both of you - since Mop it up sent first I'll use that one and Stratos can share his code with someone else.

Does the demo actually have online multiplayer?  I'm assuming it's just local, but actually letting people see how multiplayer games work and getting them to play online from the time the demo arrives would be a pretty smart idea - the series is great solo, but even better when playing with friends.

Kind of excited to try the Insect Glaive. Not sure if I'll like the weapon... but the descriptions sound really cool.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 10:52:23 AM »
The demo has online multi - Ceric and I gave it a spin last night. No voice chat in the demo though, and the setup can be a bit tricky.

I hope the New 3DS functions include moving buttons because the big attacks being shoulder button + X or A is a bit annoying given my playing circumstances. But the Charge Sword... I'm really feeling it. Can't wait to see what madness ensues once I can get in there and craft my own.

Gore Magala is one cheap son of a bitch, though.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 02:05:05 PM »
Insect Glaive is way too much fun. I feel like a pole vaulter. You do need to get timing down because I would get swiped by the monster while I was launching. It isn't as fast as rolling to dodge but I'm sure with practice it can be done.
My Game Collection

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 12:08:50 PM »
Reserved mine. Though apparently my Gamestop won't actually have the 3DS in the store at launch & instead it will have it shipped to my house. Not paying extra for 1 or 2 day shipping so I'll be hunting anywhere from late Feb to early March...
Same Boat.

I think this is a good demo.  I'm hoping the N00b Arrows are actually something you can get on an armor set instead of the full map.  Be more helpful for me. 

Stratos I think that the reason you thinking this feels easy is because your more use to G-Rank Monsters, which to be honest most veterans are.  I think they forgo those for these.  I'm having a hard time with the single player Gore Magala myself but, I'm also just a competent hunter.

That being said Beginner is definetely Low Rank for the monsters and Advance is High Rank for the monsters.  They don't feel G-Rank to me.  The armor doesn't really feel G-Rank either but I think they are using High Rank armor for both settings.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »
I think this is a good demo.  I'm hoping the N00b Arrows are actually something you can get on an armor set instead of the full map.  Be more helpful for me. 

Stratos I think that the reason you thinking this feels easy is because your more use to G-Rank Monsters, which to be honest most veterans are.  I think they forgo those for these.  I'm having a hard time with the single player Gore Magala myself but, I'm also just a competent hunter.

So this is Get Good in reverse?   ;)
I thought the same thing but didn't want to say it.

Making a demo for hardcore MH veterans would probably have to be different than what they make for the average Joe.  How many hundred hours have you put into MH?  I'm not a good hunter by any means, yet have easily dropped over 300 hours on the various games in the series: PSP, Wii, Wii U.  That number probably pales in comparison to some others.

If I can't make it through the demo (not as easily as Stratos, but should still make it through) that's probably a bad sign.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »
I guess I just expected Gore Magala to be a bigger challenge and was shocked to beat him first try. I know this isn't supposed to be G rank. I didn't expect it to be. But I thought it would be something like your first run in with the Lagiacrus in 3 where it was terribly tough. He is the flagship monster so I thought it would be a monster that would force you to almost have to work with allies to bring down.

Though when I switch to multiplayer settings I can't solo Gore. I can get the others but I time out with Gore and almost time out with Tetsucabra (sp?). So it seems to have some challenge there. Seems my biggest enemy is the 25min time limit.

I am going back to MH3U now, trying to wrap up any final quests I need to complete. Feel free to reach out to me if you see me online and want to join in.
My Game Collection

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »
I probably would take you up on that since I'm stuck in a room because of the flu but, its the room without the WiiU and some reason the Gamepad won't go up a floor and through an outside wall.

Gore's a Dragon and Lagiacrus is not.  Not to mention learning underwater, how much larger Lagiacrus is, and just how much more thought went into him.  Gore is sort of limited by being and admittedly mid to small sized Dragon and put into those conventions.

If it helps he's not the Flagship monster of this game.  I'm not sure who is I've can't seem to find it definitively for some reason but its a more bird like dragon.  He is for MonHan 4 just not Ultimate.

Though thinking about his virus ability it can be interesting if you don't know about it.  The first time I didn't fully understand how it worked, no tutorials that time, then its not bad.  Though I think he will really be a lot more interesting in Multi-Monster battles which they aren't going to put in the Demo.  The virus then becomes an interesting dilemma because it will berserk the other monsters.  Which can be a pain enough just regular.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »
I didn't know what the virus was either. I just discovered nullberries kept it from happening and just overcame it by accident.

Selregios (A.K.A. "Steve") is the flagship monster for 4U. He is the resident Deviljo because he becomes notorious as the invading monster for the higher ranked quests. He has a new status attack which roughly translates to "torn". His sharp scales tear you open and causes significant health loss. You need to use the antiseptic stones to heal you of the effect. They didn't use him as the box monster due to some sort of copyright issue.

Sorry you aren't feeling well, Ceric. Maybe this weekend we can find time to play. I'm trying to carry my sister to G-Rank just to give her exposure since the new game is coming so soon. So anyone on High Rank (or Low) is free to reach out to me for assistance. My idea of carrying is to select a weapon I'm not as familiar with and do my best with that limited capability. So some work will still have to be done to reach the end.
My Game Collection

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 12:00:15 PM »
That's interesting.  Nullberries aren't suppose to actually do anything.  You have to continually until you work it out and get a buff. The virus causes other monsters to go Berserk.

Have you seen My Fair Hunter?  I don't know if its still going been a while since a I watched but, in it the experienced player would only use the weapon and armor that the unexperienced player had at the same level.  Not a bad idea.  Before I started drifting away, aka needed my time back, I was starting to use range weapons with lower than G-Rank because I didn't have G-Rank sets in those.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »
I just started all my weapons on the lowest forms and them upgraded them bit by bit to get them to the G-Rank levels. It was fun to push them through that way because I was forced to go back and hunt the lower monsters. It can also add a fun extra challenge if you restrict yourself to the weapon you want to upgrade.
My Game Collection

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 05:06:12 PM »
I just started all my weapons on the lowest forms and them upgraded them bit by bit to get them to the G-Rank levels. It was fun to push them through that way because I was forced to go back and hunt the lower monsters. It can also add a fun extra challenge if you restrict yourself to the weapon you want to upgrade.
For a while I decided for lols just to use status weapons.  I have to say getting the Plesioth Sleep weapons is annoying but, they are interesting to use.  Like going without anything when solo but, is interesting for people who are part of your team.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 08:04:54 PM »
I'm having a blast with the status coatings and shots. I love poisoning, stunning, and sleeping monsters to help the team. I am running into an issue of my minions waking up the monsters in the middle of setting bombs so I may need to change their behaviors since that costs me a great deal of that bonus sleep damage.
My Game Collection

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 09:13:06 PM »
Yeah I had that happen recently in the Demo.  I was like, "Dude, I be set'n up da bomb here."

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 09:31:15 PM »
The demo online is a blissful mad house. And I help fan the flames. I just pole vault non-stop with the insect glaive. It is just fun to do. I also read a tutorial on how to properly mount and ride beasts so I won't get thrown off.

You can press either a or x to stab while the monster head is green, when it is red you stop and hold r to hang on and slow down the progress of the monster in throwing you off. Also, you shouldn't attack the monster while someone has mounted it but in the demo, nobody seems to care and just goes hog wild on the beasts non-stop.
My Game Collection

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 09:45:55 PM »
It's a new mechanic and without voice chat or keyboard how are you going to get it across?
I don't like how they are cutting 2 of the features that really made hunts what they are.  I probably won't be putting the 300 hours in I normal do in these game.